Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Tow Vehicle... 'Sensitive... Buttock... Issues'?

Our Tundra and Ford SBI experiences... exposed to all.

A Corvette... is not for SBI individuals. Sensitive Buttock Issue. At least the old ones I use to drive. Your posterior felt like it made contact with the pavement each time the road deviated from flat. Getting out is possible, only if you are young and able.

The full sized pickups today may ride... stiff... but the seats are firm and SBI is only for those who prefer soft leather seat interiors, AC and Heated (I think our 2016 F350 Ford may have that but do not know).

STIFF and SBI are not the same. Luxury SUV's are not a cure, either. After riding in Las Vegas in a new Range Rover in the back seat... give me a break. Luxury? Those seats are like leather covered boards. But maybe my SBI was acting up.

Our leather couch in the living room is worse than riding on an ATV. So much for SBI. Taking a pair of front seats from a wrecked F350 would be much more comfortable, and has adjustments to make it even better.

The 2006 Tundra, 2008 and 2014 models all had firm, comfortable driver and co-pilot seats. The console in between I spread out a towel so not to have our arms stick onto it during the summers.

The current 2016 F350... rides firm but I can handle ten hour days. Spread out the towel and add those to the seat for... comfort, in my view.

The most SBI occurred driving rental Penske 26 foot 8,000-10,000 pound trucks. This included the later models with the truck driver springs and adjustments. The seams in my underwear, yes J. C. Penny briefs, were so painful after 500 miles I understand SBI, but in my pickups... no comparison. Do not believe me... try moving someday and needing four of these one way... beasts.

Riding in the Saddle for a few hours, off tempo/gait... your SBI will be solved, as you will understand worst to better. Talking about slapping the dust off your posterior is a good description.

How do some of you fare?

Now to be fair. To preserve the wear and tear on our leather interior, I think Ford uses leather and not 'leatherette'... I fold a cotton towel for each of us to sit. I also spread a folded bed spread on the back seat for the two Pet Porter that our two Heelers travel. No complaint from man, woman or beast.

This I learned when clear plastic covers was the norm for couches... way back when they were made of anything... but leather.

Be honest. Would Honest Ray pull a fast one saying that SBI is your problem and no one elses? Maybe.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ray,

As usual, I had several 'spit takes' reading this--I should know better than to take a sip of tea before reading your missives...

Now that the syndrome has been named, I car easily relate to it. Our older 2008 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab rig had it bad. It also had another form Butt issues, Sliding Butt Syndrome (SBS). As you drove, the fixed seat bottom pitch and the fabric panel would make me gradually slide forward, ending up with sitting on the wrong (upper) part of my butt, and I would have to periodically hitch myself up and back into the seat, only to slide down again. It usually manifested in in a dull backache across the small of my back. The current 2012 Taco has a better seat bottom angle, so it does not do this.

If I manage to eventually get a Tundra, the first requirement is a fully adjustable driver seat, then an adjustable passenger seat, since the DW (Dragon Lady to some) has similar SBS issues. The rest of the possible goodies are negotiable.

Seating comfort while towing and Airstream is one of those things that does not get as much attention as it merits...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
My driver discomfort was easily solved when my wife’s physical therapist recommended raising my seat until it allows my knees to be at or below my hips...simple
Old 01-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlores View Post
My driver discomfort was easily solved when my wife’s physical therapist recommended raising my seat until it allows my knees to be at or below my hips...simple
Sadly, the Tacoma trucks, although it was an option, could not be found with power seats on the West Coast in 2008 and 2012---we tried, and so did the dealer (sigh).
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Sadly, the Tacoma trucks, although it was an option, could not be found with power seats on the West Coast in 2008 and 2012---we tried, and so did the dealer (sigh).
Some 2x4's and lag bolts can fix about anything. Work for Airstream cabinets to FIRM up the interior.

SBS... that should get more attention, than it deserves.

Much like shoes and feet. You must break in one, in order to break in the other.

This conversation is a win / win for those, like myself, who are frugal, spend years and many hundreds of hours 'softening the auto leather seats' for those who will enjoy the break in for years afterwards. This could be added to the cost when you go to sell.

The days of the 'bench seat' in pickups are coming to a close. The slip and slide, SAS, could be severe. Although SBI, SBS and SAS are preventable, it requires financing for the cure in a new tow vehicle.

Since this will one of those 'serious' discussions that is missed by the majority. Let us divert a bit.

Oversized Fuel Tanks:

Those wanting fuel tanks to extend their driving distances from 350 miles to 700 miles... who are they kidding. I rode with a guy who could not pass any rest area on the highway or off the side of a Wyoming county road. The trip probably took twice as long, if he had a smaller fuel tank and a larger... well, to be frank... less liquids in the system that stores liquids. You have to moderate consumption, knowing that your truck's and your tanks have limits.

Probably beer, but that is also a liquid.

I recall when some trucks were being converted to propane in the early 1970's. Good luck finding a Propane Station open for the restroom and access to propane at midnight in western Kansas.

This Thread is to let off some 'steam' over knobs, screens, placement of cup holders, peddles, tail gates weighing 50 or more pounds, etc. You do not have to name brands, but it would sure help if you do. Seats are used by everyone on the Forum. Split Seats... comes to mind.

Towing a trailer takes stamina. For some, it takes patience as the speed limits in Utah at 80 are not intended to mean a ten mile grace allowance per hour over the limit, is still within the... 'limit'. You know who your are.

I am sick of tire threads and tow vehicle threads, even if I brought it up. But this is our Human Physical Comfort we are talking about. Step up... or down in my case out of my F350... but make an effort to improve this thread.

Maybe... some ideas to improve something. Like what you do in your free time.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
I trust you are not familiar with the Iron Butt Rally: 11,000 miles in 11 days. On motorcycles. Many start, few finish.

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/about/about.cfm
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Gee, SBI really manifests itself for me with bicycle touring. Those "seats" are nothing more than ax blades with a strip of leather on the cutting edge. That rear end howl is not the bicycle chain and sprockets.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Seats are very important. There are many vehicles my wife can't tolerate.

When we decided we wanted a 25-footish Airstream trailer, we first went shopping for a pair of seats bolted to a decent tow rating. Only then did we get serious about buying an Airstream.

What we got was a GMC Yukon Denali: 12-way power seats on both sides (We both drive so both sides need to be good). From the factory, the seat base is too long front-to-back but a simple cushion placed behind my wife solves that.

What's even better is our 2001 Toyota Sienna but that just can't do the towing job for us.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I get uncomfortable to the point of painful sitting in one position for extended periods. On long trips this can be like torture. Adjustable power seats help but don't cure the problem for me. What has really helped is the Active Motion seat feature (driver and passenger) that came standard on our 2017 Platinum level F250 (it's optional on the King Ranch).

Active Motion (silly marketing name) is basically a massaging seat. It doesn't vibrate, but rather it has multiple air chambers that produce a cyclic rolling wave motion that runs from the back of your thigh to your tailbone, and up and down the lumbar area of your back. You can adjust the strength of the lumbar "wave' via the Synch screen. I've found that it really helps relieve SBI and the tension that builds in my lower back. "Massaging" seats in a pickup sound kind of ridiculous, but they work! Love 'em.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my 1996 Ford Explorer Sport had the best [cloth bucket] seats of any vehicle that I have ever owned. My 2000 Lincoln Navigator with leather, heated, and cooled seats are only good for a few hours. Towing my Airstream with my Lincoln required that I bring a special seat cushion to save me from what I call tail bone pain. I towed my Airstream with my Lincoln for ten years. And that is why I bought a new 2014 F-150 with cloth bucket seats. I carry my seat cushion in my F-150 but have never needed to use it.

Note: I started bringing my seat cushion with me for airline flights.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:29 AM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Recent development for me. I found the backside muscles were losing strength since my leg injury over a year ago. Now am getting around better so doing iso exercises is helping a lot. Nothing like a stretch and stroll for me. Now, if abrasions on skin are problem, try Monkey Butt or Boudreaux’s Butt Paste. Also, Airflow...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
snip>> Active Motion seat feature <<snip>> Love 'em.
Thanks for mentioning this feature. I found a u-tube video that explains it. I never heard of it before.

Have not owned a Ford in decades, but this feature might change that.
(comfort trumps brand loyalty)

My Silverado's leather covered/air conditioned/heated/electric adjustable seats are great for a long day of driving. But, the back of my upper legs and butt cheeks get sore after setting 4-5 hours. It is getting worse as I've aged, loosing padding back there . I think the Active Motion seat feature might remedy this pain.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Good serious information here.
After trying to ride a softail HD for long distances, I thought I learned a lot about SBI.
If you look at a skeleton, notice the two loops of bone in the hips.
They're called the "ischial tuberosity" or sit loops. There's a lot of blood flow there and putting all your weight on that area pinches it off causing pain and discomfort. Having your feet forward (like a Harley) makes it worse. Having your feet high makes it worse. No back support makes it worse (Those custom bikes would be torture to ride more than 20 miles)
Anything to take the pressure off those points helps. I had an Air Hawk cushion, and it helped for a while.
Any ridge/seam in your tighty whiteys makes a pressure ridge. Use knit boxers instead, no seams.
Preventing sweat helps also.
Having a seat that can go up/down/forward/back/tilt helps a lot, but there's no better cure than to get out and walk around.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
So Ray, is SBI related to DTD (Delicate Tushy Disorder)? I thought maybe it was STD (Sensitive Tushy Disorder) but that could become confusing.

I was actually thinking about this issue yesterday when I was reading some of your other posts in another thread where you were singing the praises of Toyota's. I was thinking you were nuts because Toyota's are only slightly more comfortable than an old Willies Jeep (steel seat with a 1/2-inch pad). However, I realize that every seat fits everyone differently. What is comfortable for me could be miserable for someone else. As I'm turning into a crotchety old.....codger, seats have become the most important factor in choosing a new vehicle. The fist thing I do when looking at a vehicle is sit in the drivers seat. If it doesn't fit me well, I just walk away.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The leather seats in my 1999 Nissan Pathfinder and the heated leather seats in my Tundra are comfortable.
The heated leather seats in our 2014 Avalon aren't as comfortable to me.
I think the height of SUVs and pickups makes the seat more comfortable, like you are sitting at the kitchen table.
The Avalon isn't tall enough to get the seat high enough. No more cars for me. Only pickups, SUVs, and vans.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #16
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
The quality of car seats (or lack thereof) is a sore point with my wife. She drives Volvos because of their top-notch seats. But, obviously, Volvos are not tow vehicles.

We settled on a GMC Yukon Denali. The seats are above average, have heating and cooling, and the part I really like- The heat setting can be both back and seat, or just the back.

Regardless, we still try to limit our travel days to 5-6 hours on the road- or less.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
A Corvette... is not for SBI individuals. Sensitive Buttock Issue. VERY TRUE!
Ours is an '82 and it did not come with the automatic back shove option. We have the manual back (or lower) shove option and it only works when I hurriedly ask for it before the driver gets out before me. Now the only problem is trying to sell it so maybe he will finally buy me an Airstream. I am sure I won't need any shoves to use an Airstream. A funny post, enjoyed it thoroughly.
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Best seats I've had in a TV were in a 1995 ford e150 conversion van. The whole interior was mauve and my young family couldn't help but call me chester with a smile on their faces. On the plus side the kids never wanted me to drop them off at friends or school, if I had to they always made me stop around the corner. The old van only had a 302 and didn't have the best rearend gear for pulling, but man was it comfortable. The seats were cloth with a deep foam that formed around you to offer the ultimate in comfort and support. It truly was like driving the lazy boy down the interstate.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Thanks for mentioning this feature. I found a u-tube video that explains it. I never heard of it before.

Have not owned a Ford in decades, but this feature might change that.
(comfort trumps brand loyalty)

My Silverado's leather covered/air conditioned/heated/electric adjustable seats are great for a long day of driving. But, the back of my upper legs and butt cheeks get sore after setting 4-5 hours. It is getting worse as I've aged, loosing padding back there . I think the Active Motion seat feature might remedy this pain.
Sure! The Ford seats are also leather/heated/cooled/adjustable like your Silverado's and I find them comfortable just in general. The Active Motion feature is the topper and is one of the reasons I stepped up to the higher trim level as, for some reason, the option isn't available on Lariat models or below, at least it wasn't in 2017. I guess Ford is trying to incentivize people to spend on a more expensive truck. It worked in my case.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
Heated leather seats in 2008 Tundra and 2011 Rav are very comfy for my FBS( flat butt syndrome) . DH’s cloth seats in 2014 Tacoma? ..... misersble.
It ain’t just brand or vehicle type, it’s the ergonomics of seat + your body
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote