Old 10-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Longmont , Colorado
Tow vehicle requirements for 23 CCD

I am considering either a 19' Bambi or a 23' CCD, in which case I would need a different tow vehicle than I have. Any recomendations? I thought one simply bought a tow vehicle with a tow capacity greater than the trailer, but I can see from some of the posts that I am wrong, it's not that simple is it?

I am new to this forum and obviously don't understand how to search for a post either. I'll type, say "Denali tow vehicle" in the search box and get an overwhelming amount of unrelated info. BTW, we were looking at a Denali Envoy as a tow vehicle.

I appreciate any help!

Neenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #2

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Welcome aboard...

Your going to get a lot of responses on this topic...

You can start here...

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Bob's right - your question will get you lots of opinions. The towing numbers are pretty straight forward to calculate - the opinions, mind boggling.

A Denali will tow either of those just fine. Get the lowest rear end gears you can and the towing package. Biggest factors for safe towing is the weight distribution & sway setup, and the driver .

2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Calgary , AB
Trailer life tow guide

Trailer Life Magazine: America's Number One RV Magazine

Trailer Life - Ford

This will help you.

Also rember to use at leat a 10% factor of safety.
mum@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
2008 23' International CCD
San Francisco , California
I have a 23 CCD and we pull it with a 2001 F150. From my research when selecting a tow vehicle, there are stability/control and power considerations. We have a long bed and a smaller engine, which puts our wheelbase at 138.5" and power at 220hp.

We just did over 6,000 miles from California out to the east coast, up north, and back, which included lots of varied terrain from rolling hills to crossing the Rockies, the Sierra, etc.

I'm very happy with the stability of this setup -- I'd say 138.5" is more than adequate, and we have four-wheel disc brakes on the truck, and I was never worried about losing control.

Power is adequate at best. If you're willing to disavow the notion that you'll maintain 65 mph over mountain passes (think 40-55 mph range and popping the hazards on when appropriate), you'll be fine. Our approach is slow and steady, watch the transmission temp, and don't try to win any land speed records in the process, and you'll be fine.

Not sure how this compares to the Envoy, but hopefully a few numbers will help out...
mmccurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Originally Posted by Neenie View Post

I am considering either a 19' Bambi or a 23' CCD, in which case I would need a different tow vehicle than I have.
What tow vehicle do you have now? When set up optimally Airstreams are a very easy tow and you have many options to consider.
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
According to the GMC site and the Airstream site, you are going to be close. If I read the Airstream site correctly the 23 foot unit weight in at 6k max and the Denali Envoy has a 6500lb tow rating with 4x4 and 3.73s installed. Understanding that passengers, cargo, fuel etc get subtracted from the tow rating and most here like a safety factor of taking only 80% of the stated resources avail, the 23' may exceed the stated manufac tow ratings.

The Chevy trailblazer has only a few hundred lbs more than it's cousin the Envoy. With the wheelbase on the Envoy being about 113" in addition to the lower listed tow capacity, I would be leaning toward a Tahoe, GMC or Caddy comparible vehicle if you went with a 23'.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yep, I agree with Sivertwinkie. You live in Colorado You will need something with a 4:10 rear end and 400 lbs of torque....

If you want Diesel you will need a 3/4 ton. Gas, half ton truck would work...

It sounds like you don't want a truck!!

That would leave two good choices for colorado mountains in my book..

Suburban - Make sure it has a tow package if it's a 1/2 ton
Sequoia - I have this one and love it... It does down shift to fifth going up the mountains and forth if I want to go 70 mph up the mountains... But then we also live at altitude... At sea level my Sequoia has at least 10% more power than at the 7000 ft I live at... So the lower I go the better it tows... HUUM maybe that should be my new motto.... anyway.

Our Neighbor has a 1/2 ton suburban he tows with and likes it.. our friends upgraded to a 3/4 ton with that monster engine chevy made a few years back that they don't anymore... He has no problem towing his '04 28' safari... I tow this trailer to Zion and back two weeks ago and got the same mpg he does with his suburban... 9 mpg But i did have 20-30 mph head winds the whole way... i normally get about 12 - 13 mpg towing my trailer at 60-65 mph Then it goes down to 11 mpg if I go faster...

Now if you go with the Bambi you could use one of the others...or maybe the one you have? But look what the rear end ratio is and the torque.. You will need it all in Colorado..

But my opinion is one of many.... Good luck...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote