Old 08-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #15
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Tires need a few thousand miles to settle in. This explains the most.

Rig still needs to have WD set on a scale. Fender measurements are a good rough-in, but that's all. Tire slop makes less than ideal WD more obvious.

TV tire pressure needs to be according to load and within door placard range. TT tires at sidewall max.

Best to get individual wheel loads on TV with WD applied in order to set best cross axle tire pressure.

Get these mechanical details attended to before deciding about tires choice.

I never liked the SR-A but it may have changed since 2001. Reading forums and Tire Rack reviews for those with more than 20k on tires is a good idea (as in above post).

Better shock absorbers always a good idea unless what's on there is some high zoot factory type. BILSTEIN, unless KONI available.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #16
Uncle Shelly
2001 25' Safari
Lakeview , Ohio
First let me say thank you for all your inputs. If I have learned anything from this experience, it is that there is a wealth of information on the Internet about setting up a WD hitch for a TV. But not everything is standardized. Often the information is debatable and varies with the experience of the contributor.
So I have taken in everything I can and then tested as I could.
I can and maybe will take my rig to a weight scales to get each axle or even each wheel weighed. But I am going to have to find a professional who knows how to interpret those numbers.
I can turn a wrench. And I can apply complex formulas to get answers. But using those numbers correctly is frustrating. I have calculated axle weights, gross TV weights, gross TT weights, etc.
Mathematically, I did not exceed the load factor of my tires. I have over 300 lbs on each tire to play with. I doubt I can stuff my motorcycle in the trunk. So, I will not be purchasing another set. But I would never recommend them.
So I took the trailer for a ride. I pumped up the new TV tires to 50# a pound less than max. I drove it on a windy day without excess weight in the back. The movement of the trailer was expected. Then I stopped and shortened the number of links by one. It did not help and I felt less in control. So we stopped again and lengthened the chain links and moved weight to the back of the TV. I know this is not explainable but the vehicle felt heavier. As if I was more in control.
So results of my non-scientific and non-quantitative experiment. I will leave my tires pumped to max and always travel with my tool boxes (120lbs). If I run into a professional TV rigger, I'll get a price quote.

Gshellhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
Very good! Thanks for the update!
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
This is probably of no use but my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with full air suspension came with Michelin 265/50 R20's. When they got worn down they wanted to hydroplane when it rained, so at about 30,000 I replaced them with the identical tire. I noted no change at all in towing (I do a lot), still very stable and solid, with absolutely no indications of any sway. The trailer is either a '74 Argosy 20' or a '14 FC 20. The hitch is an Andersen.

I have noted no towing difference if the water or holding tanks are full or empty, they are all behind the axle in the FC 20. In the Argosy the 35 gal water tank is up front. In other words, I have noted no change due to weight shift and distribution.

I have read of tires making a lot of tow stability difference, and you seem to have proved that possibility out. However I have no ideas or opinions as to why it should have happened to you with your combination. Is there any chance your tire dealer will exchange them for some other brand, given your experiences? I doubt that you will find a good solution by either tire pressure changes or moving things around. I would not want to drive a combination which was that sensitive at any rate. It would seem to be on the edge all the time.

I will be interested in how this plays out for you.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Ham Lake , Minnesota
Thanks for the updates. I'm glad the extra pressure helped, and sorry it did not fix the problem.
One question, and no offense intended, but are the trailer tires all inflated to the same pressure?
We've experienced some decreased stability with a low tire on the horse trailer. Trust me, you so not want to have a blow out at highway speeds.

Paul and Tam is offline   Reply With Quote