Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
We pull our 25' trailer w/ a 3/4 ton crew cab pickup. It has enough room for Webspinner and I and the kids, and will take us to Burning Man with all our stuff (tools, extra water, etc), bikes, etc.

Needs vary. Figure out what yours are, and select accordingly.

- Bart
Bart makes perhaps the most important point (as he often does), "Needs vary".

That is the secret to selecting a satisfactory tow vehicle. Unlike Bart, we have little use for a truck, so are shopping SUVs.

doug k

Old 08-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Doug what SUVs are you looking at. will they be 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton?

Thanks

John

Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Doug what SUVs are you looking at. will they be 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton?

Thanks

John
Our trips are six months at a time and we prefer something not truck-based, so none of the above. Decent fuel economy would be nice, looking ahead. Looking at VW Touareg TDI, Jeep Grand Cherokee, or may consider new Ford Explorer Sport Ecoboost V-6. Am partial to full-independent suspension Toyota Sequoia for reliability though. No rush, more choices available all the time, and the Tundra is working well for now as long as we take it easy, which retired people often do.

doug k
Old 08-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
What's that saying, Different strokes for different folks The only TV that stands out from the rest is the one YOU like and does the job. Having the right specs for your trailer is first, then whatever tickles your fancy is next. We are in the SUV catagory, PU's are not our thing. Nothing wrong with them just not for us. We are very happy with the QX56. It has a boxed frame, plenty of power and rides good. Bought it used 3 yrs. ago.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
The only thing you're reading here are opinions. I don't know factually one vehicle type is better or worse than any other. Cars and trucks have been pulling campers for many years. Which works better? What works best is what is capable and fits your lifestyle! If it fits... I need a truck, big ole four door with bed for camping accessories. That works best for me. My parents tow with a Suburban, they don't haul bikes and wood and that works best for them. Both vehicles more than up to the task.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum

Our trips are six months at a time and we prefer something not truck-based, so none of the above. Decent fuel economy would be nice, looking ahead. Looking at VW Touareg TDI, Jeep Grand Cherokee, or may consider new Ford Explorer Sport Ecoboost V-6. Am partial to full-independent suspension Toyota Sequoia for reliability though. No rush, more choices available all the time, and the Tundra is working well for now as long as we take it easy, which retired people often do.

doug k
I agree with the gentleman from the land of 100,000 lakes. My non towing time is spent in inner cities where large vehicles just would not work right under my control. Too many near hits now with my reasonably sized Jeep. I think the Europeans are ahead of our curve with a majority of their vehicles having diesel power for economy and greater torque per lb of vehicle. My diesel Jeep tows my AS beautifully and if I remember my physics properly, where momentum = mass x velocity, probably comes to a stop quicker than a heavier lash up. That means it has a better than good chance of being safer than a lot of other combinations on the road. jeep will
Old 08-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower

I agree with the gentleman from the land of 100,000 lakes. My non towing time is spent in inner cities where large vehicles just would not work right under my control. Too many near hits now with my reasonably sized Jeep. I think the Europeans are ahead of our curve with a majority of their vehicles having diesel power for economy and greater torque per lb of vehicle. My diesel Jeep tows my AS beautifully and if I remember my physics properly, where momentum = mass x velocity, probably comes to a stop quicker than a heavier lash up. That means it has a better than good chance of being safer than a lot of other combinations on the road. jeep will
Sorry, wasn't finished. Jeep will soon have a new diesel available, and as before, it will be much cheaper than the other brands available in its class.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There are three reasons we tow with a pickup—we use a pickup to pick up things, and I don't like having gasoline in the cab. Extra gas cans and a generator can go in the pickup bed and that feels better. The 3rd reason is that dirty stuff goes in a pickup bed better than in the clean interior of an SUV. We don't want to have another big SUV to tow with and a Sequoia does not have the payload the pickup has. A smaller SUV like a 4Runner works fine for us, but it couldn't tow the trailer.

Pickups handle a lot better than they used to. Our '02 Tundra didn't handle nearly as well as the '07. I've never had the rear break away and we never get stuck in snow even with little weight in the back. It is true it has a high center of gravity (4WD). The 4Runner handles better than the Tundra, but the Tundra handles better than most any pickup and some SUV's and sedans I've driven. Good tires make a big difference too.

Gene
Old 08-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #23
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Isn't it great to have the freedom to choose!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well I don't advocate using a full size truck to drive to work everyday but I see plenty of folks doing it. I drive my Excursion to work about once a month to keep it exercised and we use it some on the weekends. I have two cars, the Excursion, a Ranger Pickup, and two motorcycles. I drive what makes sense for a given situation. It is also nice to have some redundancy when something is in need of repair. If I were a city dweller where space and economy were an issue, a smaller trailer and tow vehicle would make sense. If I had $40k I would sell the Excursion and get a new pickup truck, probably gas powered. I would still keep the smaller vehicles. If I had to down size I think a car and an F150 Ecoboost would be the way I would go.

Perry
Old 08-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
waunakee , Wisconsin
Hello all. I've been following the thread and have some questions. I have a 2008 Sequoia 5.7L V8 with tow pkg. the manual says I can tow up to 9100 lbs with a 16000 lb max combined TV + TT. We are looking at a 2005 Safari Bunkhouse 30ft with a dry wt of 6215 and GVWR of 8400. Does anyone tow a 30ft AS with a Sequoia? Can I make it through the mountains safely? It's my first TT purchase and want to be sure my SUV can do the job for a family of 7.

Called our Toyota dealer yesterday and they said the SAE has changed the towing standards this year and that our Sequoia can now only tow up to 6400 lbs. that' a significant drop. What is Airstream saying? What do you say? I just need to know what I can safely tow cross country or do I need to wait and get a 3/4 ton SUV.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #26
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Different vehicles for different needs. Fact is, there are a lot of TTs being successfully pulled by a lot of TVs. I see them everyday, but marvel at someone with a 40ft MoHo with a toad....and the folks who run the parks can tell horror stories of how these folks refuse tout hitch their toad and then get stuck in tight corners. Saw this for myself last night in a park in the Shenandoah's. You just gotta wonder....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfamily View Post
Called our Toyota dealer yesterday and they said the SAE has changed the towing standards this year and that our Sequoia can now only tow up to 6400 lbs.
I think your '08 was the first year of the 2nd generation Sequoia and it hasn't changed since. That would mean your tow rating has dropped also. If you are in an accident, this may matter (insurance, tickets, lawsuits). Call Toyota and ask them what they say.

Now I have to see what the new standards are for a Tundra.

Gene
Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
TT's (all trailers) are in a grey area, GC. Axle rating and tire rating are the only things with teeth in them (for commercial haulers). Private vehicles aren't covered. And "manufacturer ratings" aren't going to hold up. After all, if state inspections -- ostensibly for safety -- have next to no meaning in this aspect of liability, then what the car builder says is going to be even farther back down the line.

Toyota won't care . . ask ones insurance agent instead (as they would be handling any liability after all).

Guidelines are one thing. Understanding how they work is another. Getting the "right" TV may take time (and the use of brains rather than emotions).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote