Old 05-12-2003, 06:41 PM   #29
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think it's got some guts. However, if you take the car beyond the 400hp range, it's time for either some mechanical upgrades or a straight swap to a different trans.

The 4L60E is found on several GM trucks. I know the 2000 Silverado had it on a few different engines. I shamelessly added the deeper trans pan from the GM parts bin to my 4L60E to get a few more quarts of fluid to make it harder to flash heat.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:01 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
What I think isn't important.....what works consistantly is what is important...any comparison between 4L60's must include any optional parts/assemblies that are added on to fit the application....E's are known for being the hot item for a lot of vehs-because of adaptability....not necessarly being bullet for the weakest link...generally speaking-OVERHEATING- that is quick death ot the transmission....geof

geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:24 PM   #31

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera

Tthere is no strong correlation (well, there is correlation but it is not a causative relationship) between speed and safety per se. The safest speed is the general speed of traffic.
I don't believe an 18 wheeler doing 80 mph is safe. Especially when you get passed by a convoy of 6 all doing the same speed. There just comes a point where you have to back off because its just not safe to stay up with this type of crowd.

I live near I44 and once it turns wet it becomes common fare to end up with a jack knifed or overturned 18 wheeler. Maybe the 4 wheelers are the cause but when you are driving a rig as big, you have to consider that you aren't going to be the best handling vehicle if you need to make a sudden move. That's a lot why I normally stay around 60 when towing.

AAA of Missouri does an annual survey of its membership and usually within the top 4 items of concern is the speed of the 18 wheelers on Missouri Interstates.

Bottom line if you get involved with an 18 wheeler in some type of accident, you lose.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote