Old 05-11-2003, 05:47 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by ipso_facto

That's a simple common sense advise, I like that.
Ipso... you'd be surprised at how little common sense is out there though....

On the '96, I have the tow package and believe it or not, it came with 2.93s. I am looking to (hopefully soon) get my PCM reprogrammed at pcmforless.com after I get the 3.73s installed.

Regards,

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 07:08 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

common.....Huh?

your approach to towing is interesting....the issue of common scense and towing though is not reality.....just because a vehicle will pull a trailer doesn't necessarly mean it is going to stop it and during a collision avoidance there are other forces at work....how many have taken a safety course on towing?....or even considered trying to update their skills?....."ain't going to happen!" till insurance companies make it part of a trailer policy....and enforce it buy not paying claims.....I wonder how many RV's are over loaded-non functioning brakes-riders in the trailer-bad/broken/non functioning hitches.....Ya just don't want to think about it....geof

Old 05-11-2003, 07:30 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Geof,

I think I kind of eluded to the fact of a safe tow vehicle being more than just the ability to move not only in this post, but others as well. Since this post had to do with a vehicle fire and the comments on overloading, the first thing to address is an underpowered vehicle (which I think is where the conversation started) and then talk about the other issues, which again, I think I did.

The fact is simply that a good tow vehicle will be able to stop a rig less than what it's rated to pull should the brakes on the trailer fail (there are variables I am sure). Additionally there are laws regarding trailer brakes in almost every state. I can stop my rig fully loaded with my car without the tralier brakes, however, I would never do it on the roads since I have no need to. I like many on this forum (but not everyone on the road) maintain my vehicle throughly.

What's more is that you will NEVER get an insurance company to force people to "upgrade" skill sets across the country. It's much easier to raise everyone's rate. What you are talking about is having a certificate or a license to tow a trailer and that is regulated by the Secreatry of State and the governing bodies of each state. A politican that even hints of further regulation might as well look for another career since a trip or even dealing with the numbskulls at the secretary of state is more than enough to do what already needs to be done. Furthermore you won't get all the states to do it let alone agree upon it. Look at the Interstate Highway speed limit thing. Even with the Feds taking a high hand, there still are rogue states and few have the same speed limits or (sigh) fines. Also look at the blood alcohol level, only now after 10+ years are we actually close to a .08 across the nation. Mostly because the Feds threatened to withhold highway funds for those that did not toe the line.

The harsh, but true reality of insurance.

Regards,

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 05-11-2003, 11:22 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Eric,
One thing I wish is that Missouri would do something to slow down the 18 wheelers heading through. Its one thing to do the speed limit which is 70, but a large number of these guys are easily exceeding this limit by at least 10 mph. Worst highway is I44. I think the only two companies that comply are UPS drivers and Schnider trucking.

Quite honestly I prefer driving through Illinois even though it has a 55 mph limit for RV's and 18 wheelers alike. The trucks may still pass me while doing 55 but seem to only cheat to the 65 mph side. A lot of difference when on flat straight Illionois Interstates compared to Mo. where my 60 is much slower than the 18 wheelers who are doing 80 on curves and hills.

From what I have heard our fines in Mo. are low enough that the truckers will make more money by speeding through our state (saving time) and paying the fine.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 01:21 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, it's funny that you mention that Jack. I have noticed that over the past 10 years, truckers seem to have gotten a whole lot worse. When we were kids camping with the family, it was somewhat rare for an 18 wheeler to be speeding so recklessly let alone pass (not to say it didn't happen at all).

I have too noticed that the 18 wheelers do speed very much. When I am not towing, I, like most people from around here push 80 mph on the Kennedy, and Edens (I-94). The funny thing is that the 18 wheelers are keeping up with us!

At any rate I agree 110% with you. Those trucks pack more hurt in them if they should ever loose it. Fines in IL are pretty mild too, Wisconsin however, look out, when they say 65, they mean exactly 65. They would pull their own mothers over for going 66 and hit them with a $175.00 ticket, let alone going faster.

Eric
Old 05-12-2003, 06:34 AM   #20
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
the bronze

eric

i have no doubt that our state patrol targets our friends from south of beloit.

but as you well know some of the people feel the interstate on a friday night heading north is a giant race track! then the same happens sunday night when everyone returns to chicagoland.

i get a good chuckle after being passed on the right (while i'm returning to that lane) by a bmw with chicago wheel tax stickers at 90 plus. just to see them at the side of the road with "officer friendly" just a few miles later, i always honk and wave.

as a cdl holder, i can tell you 3 things that will get you a vacation from driving automaticly, dui, 15 over the limit, and following too close.

even in your personal vehicle!

so those states with speeding trucks must lack enforcement, because the fines and penaltys for cdl holders are steep. the days of multiple licenses from different states are over.

so the next time yer up our way knock 'er back about 10 mph and enjoy the view!

otherwise, send me a couple of hundred bucks and i can escrow it for bail money!

john
Old 05-12-2003, 08:04 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You just reminded me, I still have to submit my $200 "donation" to Racince County.

15 over they will suspend your license? I know I'm an out of stater, but I was going 16mph over and just got real nice propaganda about how they care, blah, blah, blah and pay speeding tax of $200.

BTW, the cop that yanked me said,"Well you in Illinois have tolls, that's why our fines hare higer, because we don't have tolls."

At any rate here in Illinois, for regular cars, it's 30 mph and your are a felony speeder.

Eric
Old 05-12-2003, 08:16 AM   #22
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
don't want to be hasseled by the man...

eric

the 15 over rules apply to c.d.l. license holders only, you regulars can go faster.

and you don't need to provide urine samples either!

john
Old 05-12-2003, 08:20 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I see, so even if you are driving your regular car, but have the CDL endorsement, grab your ankles... I mis read your post.

OUCH! Glad I don't have a CDL.

BTW, at that tax level, I think they want blood, not urine.

No wonder you drive a bike, easier to make your getaway!

Eric
Old 05-12-2003, 05:10 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Silvertwinkie

On the '96, I have the tow package and believe it or not, it came with 2.93s. I am looking to (hopefully soon) get my PCM reprogrammed at pcmforless.com after I get the 3.73s installed.

Interesting. I have 3.23 and it makes a big difference. On my truck, I have 4.10 and it makes a *huge* difference, in conjuction with that 7.5L engine. So much torque instantly trown at the back wheels. I don't think I ever floored either vehicle.

I am not a gear expert but I think these low gears allow you higher RPMS, being easier on transmission as the end result.

With 3.73, I don't think it is going to be a great daily driver, but then I have no personal experience with it. I suppose you should expect a drop in mileage. I notice mpg difference vs. stock 2.73 rear end, probably 1 or 2 mpg difference.

jcanavera,

Tthere is no strong correlation (well, there is correlation but it is not a causative relationship) between speed and safety per se. The safest speed is the general speed of traffic. These speed limits we have are a result of 70's gas crises. In WWII, for example, there was a nation wide speed limit of 45 mph to conserve fuel. You get way better mpg at these speeds.

I drive real slow (usually under the speed limit) but not because it has anyting to do with safety, but because I want to get the best mpg and it works.
Funny, because after driving my truck for a while, I tend to drive slower with everything else, too. The best mileage you get is right after your tranny shifts into 4th (if you have one).
Old 05-12-2003, 07:23 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I was thinking of getting the 3.42s, but I also have the Impala SS 17" rims I am going to install. The larger the diameter, the more it lowers the RPM. I have ridden in an SS with the same 3.73s I'd like to get and the manners seem reasonable. Also heard the ATR quads on the same car. Nice combo!

The larger the gear the faster the RPM. The smaller tire also increases RPM. Adding larger gears and larger tires help keep it within reason. The lower gears as they are with my current 15" create a low RPM, but the 2.93 are crap for towing and crap for having a little fun around town.

The lowest I would consider would be the 3.42s, however, I've talked with several folks and they tell me the manners (when not towing) are pretty close. I do expect a few MPG loss (esp when towing) but on the hwy, with overdrive, I like you don't think it will be more than one or two at the worst. If I went with the 3.42s, I'd be a bunch closer to the 1mpg loss, but when I consider the trucks that have 4.10 gears and what mpg they get with the 15 or 16" tires, I still consider my MPG a gift with 3.73s and 17" rims!

BTW IPSO, I just bought the ATR quads for mine this evening. 2.5" mandrel bent. The description says:

Dual 2" stainless steel exhaust system for 1994-96 Impala SS!

NOTHING FLOWS BETTER!* Mandrel bent for smooth, full diameter bends throughout.* Big 2" T304 stainless tubing...The Best!* Big 'H' Pipe for low end torque and sound, yet quiet enough to still hear the tires sing.*

Pit BullTM mufflers flow within 99.99% of a straight pipe!* Soft 600" Big Block sound at wide-open-throttle.* 4 stainless mufflers +9 stainless steel clamps.*

Direct bolt-on replacement.

I also just put on some Global West rear lower control arms....a major differnce. The rear end seems a bit more civilized and responsive. I pick them up for $160.00. Compared to stock it is a night and day difference. Much more control due to the old ones flexing so much because of the cheesy bushings GM built into it.

I always enjoy our tow/car chats!

Eric
Old 05-12-2003, 07:29 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

what transmisssion you got?....it could become the weakest link...
Old 05-12-2003, 07:34 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
4L60E. Most on the car forums, including myself find it to be a fairly good trans. So far my exp with it has been excellent.

What do you think of the 4L60E?

Eric
Old 05-12-2003, 07:36 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
GM must think the 4L60E is a tough enough transmission, if they put it behind a 6.0 L V8 in the H2 Hummer

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote