Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Tow vehicle madness!

What is it about the words "tow vehicle" that incites so much emotion here on Airforums?
I've read these pages for going on 4 years now and other than the word "hitch" nothing seems to bring out such drama.

From dealers to people who have never towed, you hear opinions that range the entire spectrum. Theories get debated with logic that spans from thoughtful to comical.
The ideas get passed around, become gospel and are then defended as such. What leads to such fervor? We, as a group, wouldn't agree on many things in life yet (for the most part) we have respect each other's opinions. On the subject of tow vehicles, I read such damning condemnations of different ideas...it's sad! I personally feel that there is no single correct focus. Different strokes for different folks...

I personally love all vehicles. I get a vicarious kick out of any new (or used) purchase report.
You don't have to convince me that your idea or decision is the best, I'm happy if you are! I do love hearing about your experiences though, good or bad, it is interesting...

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
It depends on the terrain , altitude, size and weight of the trailer we are towing, every direction I go from home is up hill so I like more power.....no such thing of too much horsepower or too much money....enjoy..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I fully agree with your assessment. The tow vehicle issue has always been a hot button topic here on Airforums.

I have always tried to simply state what tow vehicles I use and how they work for me. I never say that my opinion is better than anyone else's. I respect the opinions of others and expect the same from them.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
It's always been the most disappointing thing about Air Forums for me, this willingness of some to denigrate those who don't follow the general received towing wisdom, rather than embrace different approaches.

I come from one end of the towing spectrum and have incurred the ire of many in the group because I don't follow the general towing view. Statements are made, invariably without evidence, and the further into the argument you go, the louder and more entrenched the argument gets.

That's a generalization, of course, because there are plenty of folk here who are open to the alternative view and are happy to listen to different ideas, but it seems to be that those with the loudest voices usually are those least receptive to an alternate view.

The simple message is, of course, if you don't like the way I tow then don't tow like me.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Tow vehicle madness!

It is really simple enough, everyone likes their own brand.

Procedure > Result

Superat stultitia.

http://youtu.be/G6PRtt_jLUE

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Steve,
It comes from all sides and from too many sources!
"its too big" or "...too small".
"its antiquated technology "
"its not designed for that"
"this spec is the most important..."
"I know more than the engineers..."
"Profit dictates this approach"
I can find a bit of truth in most and I can refute some of all.

Its really too bad as there is a lot to learn here but the "my way or the highway" approach is such a turn off.

I'm not pointing a finger at anyone in particular either...I have had my share of pontificating here!

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Great question, and I am going to blame the "marketing guys".

The vehicle manufacturers have made us see our cars and trucks as extensions of ourselves, not just things we choose to own. Therefore many of us take criticism of -- or even just a differing opinion about -- our tow vehicles personally. The next step for some is to get defensive or push back.

I agree with moosetags: we should just say why we make the choices we make, and let the reader decide what approach best matches his values and needs.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Glad I had my tow vehicle before I bought my Airstream and joined the Forum. Otherwise, I would still be evaluating conflicting advice trying to make a decision on what TV to buy or I would have bought a dually just to be sure I had enough grunt to tow anything.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thats the reason they make so many models. Sometimes it reminds me of a couple of spoiled teenagers that think their car is the best on the road and anyone who doesn't have one like theirs is stupid. Different strokes for different folks. Liking mine does not mean I do not like yours. Whatever works is great. I do think there are a lot of folks that simply take the numbers their TV says and do not consider all of the implications of loading, weight, etc when determining their TV. I do agree that bigger is better. May never need the power or torque but if you do need it and don't have it, problems arise.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
All we need is a minivan with Porsche brakes, a 6.7 liter Cummins Diesel, a 10 speed automatic transmission, built on a Fruehauf Frame and, I almost forgot, a 200 gallon fuel tank and that gets 35 MPG towing (uphill).

For $25000

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #11
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
The Internet: Where It Doesn't Matter If You're Wrong, As Long As You Think You're Right.

My annoyance is the willingness of some always to assume everyone else is wrong and then proceed to let us all know it. Like my composting toilet discussion where people derail the thread with their legal wisdom pulled out their rear end. Let us not forget in the towing section; someone always is willing to site imaginary legal precedent. Or how about

"You're going to die and kill others with that towing combination, I hope I don't run into you on the road."

"YOU MUST TOW WITH A 1 TON DUALLY OR YOU WILL DIE"

"CAR MAKERS LIE ABOUT PAYLOAD AND TOW RATING. I CAN TOW WITH MY MINIVAN. TRUCKS ARE FOR PEOPLE WITH EGOS AND SMALL BODY PARTS"

Another example, when I made a post about upgrading to 16 inch wheels, I titled the thread with the word RIM. 3 pages of posts added to it where I was called dumb for not knowing that RIM is not the technical word for WHEEL and people arguing over the proper term.

WHY?

WHY WHY WHY WHY?

At the end of the day, the internet isn't real life. Just remember to when you see something you don't agree with.

PS: At the end of the day, we all want to self-justify our decisions to others and validate ourselves. It's also not easy for others to tell if you are being sarcastic or joking without using smilies, etc.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far.

I suspect that part of the problem in the case of TV questions is that people asking the question ask it in such as way that presumes that there is a single correct answer. I.e.: "What's the Best Tow Vehicle..." Well, if there can only be "one best tow vehicle" then I must own it! So my opinion must be right.

In truth, there are so many variables and factors that go into answering the TV question that it's not possible to get a meaningful answer without the questioner providing more information such as:

Are you full time, most time, or a weekend warrior?
How far do you travel annually?
Are you a solo traveler or do you travel with a spouse and five children?
What's your budget?
Are you comfortable driving a big vehicle?
What else do you need to be able to do with the TV when it's not towing?
Do you travel mostly in flat lands or do you travel in mountains a lot?
How much stuff do you plan to carry in your TV?
What model Airstream do you really have (amazing how many people don't think it's important to distinguish between a vintage 16 footer and a new 31 foot classic.)

It would be nice if the OP's asking TV questions would provide us with the above information when posting.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's really easy to match a tow vehicle to an Airstream. But Airstream owners, not so much (understatement).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The Airstream is low, flexible and aero. The available tow vehicles are tall, stiff, and not so aero. There are no purpose designed Airstream tow vehicles. That kind of gets you to the concept of compromise. Considering that Airstream offers a wide range of coach configurations, one might come to the opinion that there are lots of different lifestyles driving the product purchase. That kind of suggests that maybe we would all have different ideas about other purchases as well. This might be amplified by experience that shows an Airstream can be towed by a red Buick, a white SUV, a silver pickup, and a green tractor. It all works. And I find Airstream folks quite compatible. They smile a lot! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I love the Airforums. Here we go arguing about arguing about tow vehicles. In engineering terms this is called a second order argument.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #16
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Wow, it's just gotten so meta in here. I'm freaking out a bit.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Yeah....but are the lobster tails frozen?....

“If your happy with what you're using......it's adequate.
If others are unhappy with what you're using......it's not.”
RLC

Bob
Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Arguing about tow vehicles is definitely a "First World Problem!"
Old 03-22-2016, 08:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
And then there's a NEW take on the whole thing!

Its just my opinion, but there are lots of good tow vehicles and we DO get to go personal preference with a good degree of safety - which doesn't mean you can't find some "Darwin effect" choices documented on youtube...

But every now and then someone posts something that shows what happens when you REALLY think outside the box.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ie-121273.html

Look at the photobucket! What a fulltimers dream. It even gives one a spare bedroom - handy if too much 5 bean dip and beer have been consumed and someone's resulting methane releases could set off the CO detector!

I was ready to pop on this, and then I saw the price tag.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Remember, the cake is a lie!

How's that for a meta argument?

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote