Old 03-30-2016, 12:30 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tow vehicle madness!

Had two Firestone 721 tires blow out, in separate incidents, fortunately both at low speed.

That was the absolutely last time I risked my family's life with other than Michelin tires.

If didn't help that I had to change out one of them in 110 degree heat on a busy highway. No more cheap tires on my vehicles. It's just not worth it.

Took the van and momma's car to the tire store the very next day, changed out both vehicles. Yeah, had to eat beans for s month or so to pay for them, but I suspect eating beans for a while never hurt anyone....except bystanders😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Sign at a gas station/restaurant called Midway on US 31 north of Kokomo, Indiana:

Eat Here and Get Gas.....

WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #59
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Hard to understand all the negativity about "other" brands of tires. Last fall I just put a set of Firestone Transforce AT tires on the truck. At this point I couldn't be happier as they did not take much weight to balance them, smooth as silk and negligible noise levels and traction on both on/off road has been good (70 psi). Maybe they will wear quicker, I don't know and I am not too worried about it. The previous Michelin LTX tires were aging out and the rubber was getting stiff making a rough ride. My tire dealer said "this Firestone tire is very reliable and they just don't have problems with it - best bang for the buck in truck tires". I have nothing against Michelin tires and will consider them again when I tire shop but I also think there are many other brands worth considering.
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
... but I also think there are many other brands worth considering.
Thank you. I might have had Michelin tires on one of my vehicles in the past 40+ years of driving, can't remember for sure, but I have never had a blow out, and only a couple of slow flats caused by picking up a screw or nail. I would certainly consider buying Michelin tires in the future.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
In my pre retired life I ran a repair facility. We sold a fair number of tires... The thing I love about Michelin tires in general is their ability to stay "nice" throughout their service life.
In general, they were still round and held balance as they aged. Of course there were exceptions but I tend to like them.
One thing Michelins tires were not good at was surviving in the sun! I told customers that they had to drive them off of the vehicle in 4 or so years or the sidewalls would begin to show cracks.
They are still my first choice!

Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote