Old 12-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle input and ideas please!

I just arranged to purchase a '76, 23 foot and will be buying a new Tow Vehicle in the next week or so. The Airstream dry weight is 3520lbs and the GVWR is 5800lbs. For many years I pulled an '86, 32 foot Excella with a 99, 2500 'burb.

Although I am not much of a poster, I am an avid reader of the postings and would appreciate any tips you all could share. I travel countrywide and have done the mountains, the snow, the wind, the heavy rains, you name it. Safety, not power or speed, is my main concern.

Also, I would like your input on the best antisway set up for this size trailer!

Thanks

Old 12-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
We tow our '59 Tradewind with a Ford Econoline 150 van. It handles the Airstream very well. The 250 and 350 versions are available with the diesel if you need more power.

Paul

Old 12-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi modnodd

is that new 76 gonna be a project or is it ready to camp? with lighter trailers there is a wider selection for t.v. did you like the suburban? why not get another. i prefer a truck because of the complete division for carried goods/smelly things/dirty bikes.... but many like the suv styles.

are you buying a new t.v or older? many folks pulled those 70's units with 70's suburbans....a search here will find lots on vintage t.v. and actually just reading the many threads on tow vehicles helped me find the perfect t.v.

if you never plan to pull anything heavier, seems you could skip the 3/4 ton and up rigs.

a nice new honda ridgeline or nissan titan would be the ultimate in reliability. ford f 150 or any of the 1/2 tons would work.

do ya want diesel or gasoline.....really the choices are many....

trailer life publishes a tow vehicle guide mid year. it comes as an extra with the magazine one month. anyway the 05 edition is good for new rigs...i think the older editions are online at trailer life.

good luck and lets see some photos of that trailer.

cheers
2air'
Old 12-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Something to consider when looking for a TV. Not sure how prevalent the problem truly is but the article is interesting at least.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103776

Barry
Old 12-16-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
I towed with an 86 3/4 ton Suburban for many years. I recently purchased a 2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 crew cab truck. I would never go back to a Suburban. The longer wheelbase that the truck has really improves the towing of my 89 32' Excella. Very stable.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I tow my 75 Trade Wind with a 2003 Tundra 4x4 Access Cab. Nice ride, enough power and rated one of the safest PU on the road. My tow limit is 7200 lbs.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Something to consider when looking for a TV. Not sure how prevalent the problem truly is but the article is interesting at least.

Barry
"Have you driven a Ford.....lately!

GM has had issues with their gas engines too:

www.pistonslap.com

I have a 6.0L and when it's cold out, I can hear a few clinks that don't sound quite right, but it runs great...at least for now.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
I have a 02 Trail Blazer with the ring dang doo I-6. Lot's of power. Lousy gas mileage and a noisy engine. I don't tow with it. I use my vintage cars to tow. I'm not sure I'd trust the Trail Blazer to survive an extensive haul although I have friends with one who tow a 23' SOB and say it's not a problem. Not for me though. As for the Fords and Chevy's it's hard to know which way to go. Both are having their problems. My brother is into the Dodge's and has been very happy, but of course I could never let him think he's right by buying one. B )
Old 12-17-2005, 11:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dhe9
tow vehicle

[quote=safari57]Something to consider when looking for a TV. Not sure how prevalent the problem truly is but the article is interesting at least.

interesting article. i tow with a 2005 dodge cummins turbo diesel. sure it is over kill for my 19' bambi but good to have the extra power when i move up to a 28' footer. just traveled from the east coast to calif and when i hit the rockies my average mpg was 17.7 (not going faster than 60 mph). going through the rockies and hitting the west coast i completed my trip with an average of 17.3 mpg.

dodge had some problems with the lift pump on the earlier models but corrected that on the 2004.5 models. we will see.

this is my second dodge diesel and i love it.

my intent is not to start a brand war here, just my 2 pennies worth!

think 2005 dodge cummins turbo diesel and happy motoring!

david
socal
RETIRED USMC
dhe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
When it comes to brands we all seem to have our favourites. My brother has been a die-hard Ford fan for years, then got into the Dodge diesel and now in his mind there's nothing else that can do the job. Personally, they are all pretty good and it comes down to personal tastes, how you use or abuse it, and what you are willing to live with for options, potential issues, and how your dealer treats you. A buddy went to MacDonald's and watched people come in and as they parked their trucks he went out and asked what they thought of it, did they tow with it, had they had the same brand before etc. Over the course of a morning he got a wealth of information on pretty much all the makes. He said everyone turned out had some complaints but it came down to the dealership and how they treated them that he ended up making his decision. He bought a Dodge diesel (not something I'm about to tell my brother or I'll never live it down). He's very happy with it and although he's had it into the shop a couple of times the dealer has really taken care of him. Barry
Old 12-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Half Ton Suburban would be enough

With Gross Trailer weight under 6,000#, most of the mid to late 90's K1500 (half ton) Suburbans should be fine as tow vehicle, assuming the started with towing package... We towed a 5500# Nomad 23' Weekender (SOB-Light..) for ten years and 30,000 miles behind our Suburban with no issues... Rather than debate over Ford v Chevy v Dodge, debate should be long or short wheelbase truck or enclosed or large vintage auto... Having tried towing with a Bronco for a few years in 1980's, the longer the wheel base the better... (I would not be interested in attempting to pull behind Tahoe or Yukon or Bronco..)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:39 AM   #12

1982 31' Excella
Victorville , California
Rivet

We're new to trailering, but last summer we took our rig over 7000 miles in a big circle around the country. Didn't have any problems, got between 10 and 13 mpg (gasoline). Our tow vehicle is a 2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500 with locking differential. It has the advantage of 4 doors and a cargo bed. It also comes with a cover for the cargo box. I had the truck before the trailer. If I'd know I would be trailering, I would have gone for the 2500.
Best of luck with your decision.
Regards,
Jack