Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
So what do you do?
Remember the Rick Nelson song Garden Party?
You can't please everybody, so you gotta please yourself.
No matter what you do, some on here will kick you and slam you and tell you that it's wrong.
Others will agree with you.
I'm like, "You're grown. You got your own money. Do whatever yo feel."
In my opinion there is way too much arguing, bickering, ad. "My rig is better than your rig" on here.
Can't we all get along?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
50,000 negative, derogatory, kicking, slamming, argumentative posts ain't gonna change that fact.
We should be all supportive and encouraging one another and planning meet-ups, camp-outs, and rallies.
After all, that is part of the purpose why Airforums exists, right?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, I agree, everyone has to make their own decisions. The problem is two fold as I see it: 1. People with little to no experience come on the forum and ask for input on tow vehicles, and then they get too many instructions in too many directions because there are many different combos that work. That's when the, uh, should I say debates start. 2. And this is just my opinion, the moderators have a different definition than I about the difference between "debate", and "argument".

Compared to some other forums that I read at times, this one is very civilized.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Why not some sticky threads on tow vehicles, hitches, decision criteria, range of options....I'm going to be deeply embarrassed if those are already there but I'm taking a quick peek here in between meetings (God I want to be camping!!! ) and thought I'd butt in in this uninformed manner :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Why not some sticky threads on tow vehicles, hitches, decision criteria, range of options....I'm going to be deeply embarrassed if those are already there but I'm taking a quick peek here in between meetings (God I want to be camping!!! ) and thought I'd butt in in this uninformed manner :-)
I'm afraid there would still be, uh, "debates" because there even debates, heated ones, about manufacturer's tow ratings. Some believe them like the gospel, and others say they are just "marketing".
Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
This board stressed me out a lot over Tow Vehicles, but I called airstream and have had several email conversations as well as discussed with many dealers and some current owners.
Facts are that the overwhelming consensus is what I posted earlier. Dealers have told me they see more maintaince problems with people towing a 25/27 with a f350 then they ever do with anyone towing any model with a f150.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
airtoground:

As you can see, questions about hitches and tow vehicles spark lively conversations here on airforums.....

For years, the quintessential tow vehicle used by many in the Airstream crowd was a Suburban.

People here chose tow vehicles for all kinds of reasons and claim all kinds of validation and justifications.

Personally, I figure a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton SUV or pickup can safely tow any Airstream about anywhere, and carry most anything one would want to take with them.

So far a hitch weight, don't forget that the weight distribution system of any hitch transfers part of the load back onto the front axle of the TV.

So, all the weight of the hitch is not simply added to the tongue weight of the trailer.

The final traveling weights of a loaded trailer and hitch system will differ, usually by quite a bit, from the actual weights of a parked trailer.

And, certainly a lot from the "spec" weights printed on a sales slick.

Regards and welcome to the circus.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
If I was burdened with tons of cash, and had no concerns about operating expenses and the like, I run out and buy a new Yukon Denali for towing my 25FC.

ARGH! I woke up and discovered I am not burdened in that way.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Yukon Denali experience

We tow a 2013 Flying Cloud 25FB with a 2010 Yukon Denali (short wheelbase version). We have the weighed the combination a few times, including empty and during a camping trip.

Our experience, and the experience of others reported on Airforums, is that when a 25FB is loaded, the tongue weight goes up, not down. My tongue weight is usually around 900 pounds. It once was 960, when my waste tanks were partially full.

My trailer has twin beds, and no factory options on it. We travel relatively light. We have used both a Blue Ox and an EAZ-Lift hitch. Each weighs less than half of the ProPride. So you'll probably come close to the tongue weight limit.

As for the receiver on your Yukon, it may have changed in the years between 2010 and now. We noticed that there was visible flex in our receiver--downward when the trailer was dropped on the ball, and upward when the weight distribution was applied. Also, I was told by an experienced dealer that this flex was typical for the vehicle, and would mean some difficulty getting good weight distribution. I called around to some local hitch shops, and non of them offered a stronger receiver, and none of them would strengthen/reinforce the existing receiver. I eventually had the receiver strengthened by a distant shop when I was on a trip visiting out-of-state relatives.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dubuque , Iowa
Thanks for everyone's input and we will for forth with increased knowledge.
Couple more thoughts/ questions...
Shouldn't I consider tongue weight and rear axel weight with the WD jacks unloaded rather than loaded? ie. worst case scenario...
Also, any input as to how much weight a ProPride hitch will add to my trailer tongue weight?
bertandcec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
The shipping weight of a ProPride hitch is 230lbs. A little less in use. To answer your question about the tongue weight, I would not worry about worst case scenario because all of these hitches are rated with a safety margin.

The only times I have seen any of them break were the earlier model GM's when corrosion got to them, and in an accident. It may be a good thing for them to break in an accident.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dubuque , Iowa
Many Thanks,
Any thoughts on my tongue weight exceeding the recommended 15% of loaded trailer?
Old 02-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Tongue weight is one of those things you really can't do much about, it is what it is. You can help a little when loading the trailer to pay attention and NOT put anything heavy in the front, but on the other hand, you don't want to put anything heavy in the rear of the trailer either. By doing this in extreme situations will increase the tendency of the trailer to sway.

Even with the group on this forum, it is fairly well accepted that the 25' Airstream is easily towed with a 1/2 ton vehicle, but then anything about tow vehicles can start a "discussion" here.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dubuque , Iowa
I'm finding that out!
Cheers and thanks for the input
Old 02-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes, I agree, everyone has to make their own decisions. The problem is two fold as I see it: 1. People with little to no experience come on the forum and ask for input on tow vehicles, and then they get too many instructions in too many directions because there are many different combos that work. That's when the, uh, should I say debates start. 2. And this is just my opinion, the moderators have a different definition than I about the difference between "debate", and "argument".

Compared to some other forums that I read at times, this one is very civilized.
1. Agree
2. Agree
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The half ton truck manufacturers and sellers still say their trucks will tow most travel trailers.
The travel trailer manufacturers and sellers still say their trailers are "half ton towable".
I can see "making it work" if you already own a certain tow vehicle.
There is a little more flexibility to get "the right tow vehicle" if you do not currently own a tow vehicle of any kind and are looking to buy a tow vehicle.
I would never consider buying another pickup when the one I've got has 34,000 miles and 2 payments left. I don't care how inadequate anyone thinks it is.
It is funny that there was no arguing about tow vehicles at Canopener with maybe 89 trailers.
There were tow vehicles of every make, model, size, type.
There was a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a Kia Borrego, a Dodge Dakota, a Dodge Durango, and 6 Tundras besides the 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton Chevy, Dodge, and Ford pickups.
There were Suburbans and Econoline vans and even a Land Rover Discovery.
I am sure a 6.2 Denali will pull any trailer Airstream ever made.
Before I bought my 30, I attempted to buy a 34 from a lawyer here. I was planning to pull it with my Tundra. He pulled it with a Lincoln Navigator.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I saw a comercial with a Toyota towing the Space shuttle, shurely it can tow a 30' Airstream. We all know advertizers never exagerate.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
I saw a comercial with a Toyota towing the Space shuttle, shurely it can tow a 30' Airstream. We all know advertizers never exagerate.
Did you miss the tiny print in the lower right corner (Toyato Tundra cannot really tow a space shuttle, do not try this at home)

As if i could fit a truck and a space shuttle in my home!
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Getting a little off point here, but...
Have y'all,seen the video of a jet airliner landing and the front landing gear would not deploy.
A Nissan Frontier runs out on the Tarmac under the plane and the plane lands it's nose in the bed of the pickup?
Really?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Weights without weight distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtoground View Post
Thanks for everyone's input and we will for forth with increased knowledge.
Couple more thoughts/ questions...
Shouldn't I consider tongue weight and rear axel weight with the WD jacks unloaded rather than loaded? ie. worst case scenario...
Also, any input as to how much weight a ProPride hitch will add to my trailer tongue weight?
Most receivers have two different ratings--one with WD and one without. On my receiver, the weight limits are 1000 pounds vs. 500. So going without WD means going way over. Being within limits even without WD means having a small trailer.

Also, you would probably be well over your rear axle weight rating without WD. On my rig, my rear axle was 3180 with WD and 4560 without. The rear axle rating is 4200.

I don't worry about moving my trailer around a parking lot, or to a different camp site in a campground, without WD applied, but I would not go out on the highway without it.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote