Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I started looking for used diesel crew cab pick up. The only I ever drove was a ford f-350 (2007 or so) and the fuel efficiency was not fantastic. I hear good think about the 2006 GMC with duramax, so if I find one, it will be a good contender.
geosimsimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
We have a 23' Flying Cloud with the couch (no dinette) and really like the open floor plan. The wife has a desk with a chair for her computer and the couch is great for lounging around. The size is just right for us; 23' includes the tongue. I just picked up a 2006 Silverado Duramax ccsb to replace my 2007 F150. 6 speed Allsion with tow/haul and grade braking plus diesel power says it all for me. 3/4 ton does give you bigger brakes, etc. Some will say it's overkill, but I want to be sure my tv is in charge of my trailer.

Rich
Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #23
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas

I tow a 25' FB International.
I drive a 2007 F250 Diesel Crew Short Bed 4x4.
Reese Hitch Dual Cam W/D with 800lb trunion sway bars.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Consider a van...

Our 2005 Chevy Express 3500 pulls our 25' Safari SEFB with no problems. The 1-ton 12 passenger van has a towing capacity of 10,000 lbs.

And it's so useful when we're not towing, too! We can take all the group in the campground on a tour, or we can pull the seats out and move a roomful of furniture. When we're on a long haul it's easy to set up a air mattress in the back and swap out with naps.

But ... when we're towing we get about 11 mpg. 14 mpg when we're not towing.

We have a gray van and it looks great with our silver Airstream, so we named the van Silvester and the trailer Silvia. What a great couple!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Length does include tongue on 2005

Airstream calls our model a 25, and this is nominally the length from bumper to tongue. Actual specified length is 25'10", and this is similar to the 34's being closer to 35' than 24.

I hadn't heard A/S changed the naming convention on later models to exclude the tongue. Maybe this'll help with potential trailer length restrictions in some state parks -- we've heard (just rumor so far) California may start limiting use of state camping parks to trailers less than 30' or something like that.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #26

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You really need to look at the Airstream Company spec sheet.

The Airstream 27 is actually 28'0", and the 28 is actually 27'11".

Therefore a 27 is LONGER than a 28, go figure.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
That's too funny, Brian.

I could sorta see the 35 being named a 34 -- who'd want to think they were towing 35' of trailer? "Yeah, the wife and me we've taken this mobile home all over this great country".

But to have assigned different length names to the Classics that were both 31s (one was called 30 and the other 31) and calling one a 27 and the other a 28 when their not only within one inch of each other but the 27 is the longer one? That's not even good "rounding up".

This is fun too -- only a few models are named and measured the same: the 23, the 30FB, 31DIN. That's it, just three of the many models worked out even. Not that they have to, but the fun is in how they rounded the numbers. Must have everything to do with marketing since it seems to make no common sense whatever.

35 just seems so much longer than 34 -- but maybe just because we've gotten used to the 34 name.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Hey Simon...

Sent you a PM but this is here for others to read...

Here is the abridged version after lots of research of what I truly believe....

Nobody but those solely interested (even VW & Porsche to a point) understand towing with the "T-Rex & Pepper" and we know those stories of confusion (can\can not use weight displacement hitches, max weight T-Rex\Pepper can actually tow {more than advertised}, etc).....

I am very comfortable with us towing up to our 7,700 lbs (found folks towing beyond that on other continents - spoke with the Canadian who towed with the 30 footer and gained infamy via his story in RV Magazine ) and us towing with our "T-Rex's" up to 25 foot trailers (26 feet in total length - found folks towing longer as well but....) is fine but I would stay at 26 max for safety reasons...

Really, really, really LOVE the 25 footer layout better than the 23 footer - but the tongue weight from the start was over our 770 lb limit... It would be great if they made a 25 footer with a 770 lb tongue weight BEFORE my Hensley or Pro Pride were to come into play - they do (or did) in the 2009 25 foot Airstream Classic.

Sooooo - found a brand new 2009 Airstream Classic on the opposite coast and purchased it just now - 780 lb tongue weight dry (yea no propane in the tanks - but throw in my Hensley or Pro Pride and I'm very, very comfortable) good weight dry (within my 80% range) AND the Classics have Disc Brakes.

So - I'm happy - but what about the International or Flying Cloud trailers in 25 feet?

Well - yesterday wanting to try out my Prodigy 3 install I hooked up to my very, very good friend who is visiting from Arizona and brought his 25 footer Flying Cloud (833lb tongue weight & 5,443 dry) just for me to try which is loaded for travel (full propane, full water, clothes, generator, water in hot water tank, empty black and gray tanks) and took it to the scales with some formulas from the Hensley & Pro Pride camps.... With his Pro Pride hitch (adjusted for my Touareg) we had a total trailer weight of 5,820 lbs and sitting on my tongue was 629 lbs and I was perfectly level. BTW - I lost the damn paper that had my rear axel weight and the front axel weights penciled in with the formula (but its not hard to figure out) that we used to calculate the ball hitch weights - I was so excited about the tongue weight I left my "research notebook" at the scales - but that's another story...

I was happy because I felt I could go with a 25 footer - because of towing in the Rockies I thought I would tow closer to empty the full and fill up everything once I got close to my destination - with the disc brakes I'm gonna tow right up to my max weight (minus a healthy fudge factor)....

Oh - and towing his 25 footer up to Mount Palmor and back down with my TDI - No Sweat! Even braked down a steep pitch withe the "T-Rex's" brakes - no problem if I loose trailer brakes - I can still STOP!!!

Soooo - LONG STORY SHORTER if for some reason this brand new Classic 25 footer falls through - I will go with a 25 International in Serenity.

This matches exactly what the Pro Pride & Arrow folks told me - trust me - those engineers do the math and they really do know what they are talking about....

BTW - I AM A MONSTER FAN OF THE PRO PRIDE HITCHES - and that's what I'll be using as well...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Sounds good John. It looks like you will end up with one sweet combination.

We too had concerns about hitch weight when putting together our set up but once all together, road ready for an outing, a stop off at the Cat scale showed we were still within the vehicle's axle load rating.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
John...

FWIW..

The Classic's are no lightweights. It don't take long to put on the pounds.

Our average tongue weight between 980 & 1200lbs.

Loaded for a two week trip we had a tongue weight of 1125lbs. Measured at the ball with a Sherline scale.
Trailer axle wt of 7680 with the WD bars adjusted and trailer level.

good read on their homepage.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
John...

FWIW..

The Classic's are no lightweights.

Loaded for a two week trip we had a tongue weight of 1125lbs.
Bob... That is outrageous for a 25' aluminum trailer. Time to call Jenny???....lol
Old 03-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by road ruler View Post
bob... That is outrageous for a 25' aluminum trailer. Time to call jenny???....lol
jenny?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Jenny Craig....... Jenny Craig Weight Loss Program

sorry, bad joke, Canadian humour.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #34
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Bob is absolutely right about the Classics having high tongue weights. The 25 Classic tongue weight with nothing in it is 870 lbs.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
The 25 Classic tongue weight for a 2009 model is 780 lbs. (no propane, water, etc.)

That's why I'm so happy - over 60 lbs lighter than the Flying Cloud or International models in their tongue weights.

I will be doing some "crazy" things - such as when I'm heading to my property in Colorado - towing with no water and 1/4 propane - then filling up to max for the final 5 - 10 miles - most of the places I plan on visiting have full hookups, etc.

Now if I were going in the wild "Boondocking" for a week or two - I would be pushing it...

The max weight of the trailer is 8,000 lbs - the max I can tow is 7,700 lbs, not that I'm gonna bump against that end of the spectrum for towing - keeping aware of my water and propane loads will keep me very safe.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
[QUOTE=Road Ruler;824413]
sorry, bad joke, Canadian humour..... Oxymoron....

God bless Tim Ho...
Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
[QUOTE=ROBERT CROSS;824569]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post

God bless Tim Ho...
For sure Bob... A little trivia here.... Tim Ho crashed his Ford Pantera and was killed at the Lake St off ramp In St. Catharines Ontario many years ago. I will be going past the site in about one hour from now.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
He's a Favorite Son here in....
Old 03-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #39
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
The 25 Classic tongue weight for a 2009 model is 780 lbs.... over 60 lbs lighter than the Flying Cloud or International models in their tongue weights.

I will be doing some "crazy" things ...
hey jf'

congrats on the new trailer.

having seen your posts about the purchase, your excitement is obvious...

and we ALL hope it goes well.

it's posted repeatedly but worth repeating...

a/s company tongue weights are ESTIMATES only.

until recently the spare tire wasn't included and OPTIONs still aren't.

pay attention to what others are posting as VERIFIED tongue weights...

those are the REAL numbers, bro.

you will also find the OCCASIONAL post from some1 suggesting they tow a HOUSE with their t'rex and all is wonderful...

but those posts almost NEVER have any long term follow up and often come from threads where the poster is LONG gone...

and no longer has a vw OR 'stream...hummmm wonder why?

no one is diss'n the dub' and some of us are huge fans of the vehicle and company how makes 'em.

the 'rated capacity' for towing is ~7700 lbs, impressive for a mid size suv...

even more impressive is that these german magicians provide that rating WITHOUT reductions for tv payload...

that's right the STUFF in the dub' doesn't reduce the towing capacity...

this platform is unique in that regard and i would love to know how they managed that.

1. the real towing capacity is MUCH higher than 7700 lbs

2. the slide rule had mustard on it that day and the engineer had too much beer for lunch.

regardless the gvwr is 7000+ lbs with a TC of 7700 lbs and a gCwr of ~15,000 lb...

so the dub's got guts (seen those videos of it towing a 747?)

but here in the ISSUE imo and i see no obvious solution...

the factory OR aftermarket receiver AND how it is attached to the shell/rails AND how w/d stresses that arrangement.

i have posted these pics before but lets RErun them for the sake of currency...

lets start with a schematic of the receiver and mounting hardware.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vw_receiverr.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	98206

the ISSUE right away is how this thing is attached...

it's basically held on to the END of the unibody/rail area by 4 bolts per side...

MOST receivers attach along the LENGHT of the frame rails or unibody.

and MOST receivers above the class 3 and at class 4 rating use more nuts/bolts.

more on this later.

next lets look at how vw PACKAGES this thing...

Name:	touareg receiver.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	98207

this 3 part photo shows the receiver, how COSMETICALLY it's tucked behind the bumper facade, and the UNDER pinnings...

now on CLOSER inspection here is the receiver again...

Name:	vw receiver.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	98208

there are NO longitudinally FORWARD S P R E A D E R S of the load/stress/forces...

basically it's a BOTTLE CAP held in place with bolts through flat/folded SHEET metal.

focusing more closely on how this looks UNDER the bumper (ZOOM the pics in another window)...

Name:	vw receiver mounted.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	98209

we can now see this as it ACTUALLY is attached.

lets assume those nuts/bolts get properly torqued during install.

with a w/d hitch the UPPER bolts will be UNloaded as the receiver is COMPRESSED into the body work...

while the LOWER bolts are S T R E T C H E D rearward by the w/d forces....

in other words, w/d bars will be PRYING at the attachment point like a BOTTLE OPENER.

this arrangement and these mechanical forces might be OK with lighter w/d setting...

but there is NO WAY to easily inspect the receiver/attachment/bolts once the bumper cover is back on...

so with USE, one cannot CHECK on this critical area.

how tight are those bolts again?

now lets add the HITCH of choice to the mix...

a PP may totally eliminate sway or the SENSATION of sway for the driver...

but while the PP is doing this it places MAJOR lateral/rotational stresses at the receiver box...

IN ADDITION to the w/d torque there which GREATLY exceeds the tongue weight...

(((think 1000-1500 lbs of torque for a 800 lb tongue)))

even those crazy canadians who regularly MODIFY receivers and how they attach to unibody or suvs frame rails...

haven't solved THIS ONE...

because the GOAL of the modifications is to SPREAD the stress/forces over a greater area (like an 8 legged spider)

and that is NO EASY task with the receiver and space shown above for the vw/audi/porsche...

typically the forces/attachments are spread FORWARD (longitudinally) along the under side of the unibody/rails..

but that arrangement isn't possible with THIS setup on the t'rex.

devoman tows his 25 with a 'rex but using VERY little w/d tension

and mostly for shorter trips within the FLAT, STRAIGHT regions of florida.

i think YOU are gonna have to approach YOUR rig, carefully, slowly, with some understanding of the limitations and risks...

big time.

one could REMOVE the lp bottles, cover and batteries to lighten the tongue...

that's wouldn't make travel much fun and there would be NO BACK UP JUICE for the brakes...

but towing without LPGAS is sorta silly too,

because there will be NO fridge function, NO hot water or heat or cooking while EN-ROUTE...

((ok, here's a crazy solution for that issue, carry and use a few DISPOSABLE cooking bottles (1 lb each))

one could REMOVE some interior bits (like the stuff up front) but again is that really how ya wanna travel?

carrying WATER might lower the tongue weight some (depending on tank/axle arrangement) but will require SCALE readings to confirm...

and so on.

also keep in mind the TOWING STABILITY of these things requires 10-15% of the TOTAL TRAILER WEIGHT be ON the tongue...

7000-8000 lb trailer = 700-1000 lb tongue.

many of us do the occasional "crazy things" u mention.

some call those calculated risks or personalized tweaks...

but with a tongue mass that may EXCEED 800 lbs based on REAL measures the other 25'ers are providing...

AND the mass of a PP (another 200 lbs)...

i would NOT be comfortable with that receiver placement, attachment or the inability to INSPECT it regularly...

again congrats on the new trailer, have a memorably FUN trip fetchin' it and keep us posted via photoz and words...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #40
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Model: 2009 - 25' CLASSIC LIMITED FRONT BEDROOM STANDARD FEATURES

CHASSIS
8000 Lb. GVWR • 7600 Lb. Axle System • 5900# UBW • 2100# NCC • Hitch Weight: 780# • Safety Chain Hook 11,700#.

Notice that you have an 8000lb GVWR on a 7600lb axle rating.