Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Are you saying I can safely tow a 27 foot Classic with a Jetta if it is set up properly? And please define 'set up properly'.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There is a huge difference between getting the load moving and stopping it or handling evasive maneuvers. The published tongue weight typically does not include gas in the cylinders and a spare tire nor does it include any hitch equipment which can run from around 60 to 150 pounds.

My Airstream trailer is a 25FB (front bedroom) International where the biggest storage area is under the front bed five feet from the hitch. So all the usual power cords, water hoses, miscellaneous tools etc are in this location since it has an external access door. After mounting road side and rear awnings, 150 watt solar panel, Hensley hitch head and the stuff just mentioned, the factory literature tongue weight migrated from 833 pounds to 1,175 pounds. After filling the water tank and loading most of our stuff, the tongue weight went up to 1,175 pounds.

I was looking for a vehicle that had a hitch that could handle a 1,200 pound tongue weight and still carry full fuel and fresh water tanks on the trailer and the vehicle, me, my wife and perhaps generator sets, ladder, jack etc. I did not want to overload the rear axle of the tow vehicle either.

Do NOT rely on the "integrity" of the sales person or dealer staff to make correct towing recommendations. In many cases, they are hard pressed to quote even the correct price of the equipped vehicle let alone properly create a build sheet appropriate for the mission in mind. They are typically concerned about their commission or dealership profit, not your safety.

When the chips hit the fan, the driver is the ultimate responsible party for whatever happens to the rig going down the road. Overloaded weights, wrong tire sizes on either vehicle, wrong hitch setup, the list is long and the driver has to have the facts in hand and act accordingly.

With a clean slate of paper, I would start with the "dream trailer" and nail down that specification for tongue weight, GVW etc. Then research the tow vehicles that can handle the realistic tongue weight plus payload of people and their gear and tow the combination weight of the loaded trailer and loaded vehicle.

The choices start to become much fewer for a safe tow vehicle as the weights of the trailer increase.

YMMV
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
With a Jetta, maybe a small pop-up.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
I just typed in "Ford towing capacity" and was brought to a page that
Listed all the vehicles. Touch each vehicle by name and I was taken to that particular stat sheet ... Not only did it list the engine size options, but also, the axel ratio options and more... Very helpful, but I will need an expert to explain the finer details.
hissilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Are you saying I can safely tow a 27 foot Classic with a Jetta if it is set up properly? And please define 'set up properly'.
No, not a 27', I'm yanking your chain a little.

Jettas will tow smaller Airstreams, though as the following items will show. Firstly is a video of a David Suzuki programme on CBC. In this episode he travels to Canadian cities in a Jetta towing an Airstream:

CBC -The Nature of Things with David Suzuki - - Suzuki Diaries: Future City

There's some good footage at 12 minutes, and elsewhere on the video.

Also, here's a photo of a Jetta and 19' Airstream Safari belonging to Air Forums member Zlee:

By all accounts the Jetta, the diesel anyway, tows very well.

Setting up properly means using a TV with good suspension and a low rear overhang to wheelbase ratio, having a bespoke or strengthened hitch receiver that handle a good tongue weight and will adequately transfer weight to both axles of the TV, using an effective weight distribution system and sway control and using a good quality brake controller.

Many people dismiss the idea of a car like a Jetta or a Golf towing an Airstream without really looking at what such a vehicle is capable of, and that's fine because everyone is entitled to their own view. However, those that actually tow with them know otherwise.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
See post #25, they'll tow more than a pop up.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The idea that you need a truck to pull an Airstream discounts weight distribution hitches, proper loading of the rig, and good driving sense.

If you are without these, you may need a big truck. Otherwise there are SUVs with advantages over trucks such as fully independent suspension, lower center of gravity. better emergency maneuverability, power more closely related to the task, excellent braking, and a good, lower cost daily driver when not towing, which is a lot for most people.

The latest generation Dodge Durango is a good example, and this year will probably be available with a capable diesel engine and 8-speed transmission.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I recall a number of years ago when the new mid sized, unibodied VW T-Reg came out. Folks were guess-timating, saying the same thing about it being able to tow just a pop up.

The reality..... it was a much stronger vehicle than they ever imagined.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...eg-100371.html
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I tow my 34' triple axle with a Ford Excursion. I like the extra room of this suv over other models. With the 3rd row seat out, there is over 6' of cargo space available. Also, the shape and configuration give it fantastic visibility for both pulling and backing.
In the larger suv range, the suburban comes in a 2500 package as well. Both of these will be the largest of the suv options available amd they are more than capable of towing any trailer airstream makes. (they are both available in diesel as well). Personally, i like having the extra cargo space of the bigger suv's. The downside to an SUV is that storing "dirty"items can be inconvenient...gas cans, generators, wet outdoor rugs, etc.

I met a fellow airstreamer towing a 19' with a VW toureg a few moths ago. He was very pleased with his setup.
I believe you will find that tow vehicles are hot topic here. There are many SUV options available depending on the size of the trailer you decide to purchase. Ultimately, you need a setup that is safe, you are confortable with and fits your needs.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #30
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
What car can I use to tow my 31' Sovereign? I just have a Chevy 1/2 ton sports van

1979 Sovereign International (Olivia)
1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
BLOG: https://grapesbigadventure.wordpress.com.
Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Why do people put the cart before the horse? If you're getting a trailer, and a TV to go with it, wouldn't you figure out what trailer will fit your needs first? Then, find a TV to match up to it? If that's not the right order, then just get a 17' Sport - you can tow it with about anything.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
What car can I use to tow my 31' Sovereign? I just have a Chevy 1/2 ton sports van
Even back 50, 60, 70 years ago Airstreams were towed with cars.

Today it is still possible if the set up is done right.

Review posts from forum member "Andrew T". He writes about many car options.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Why do people put the cart before the horse? If you're getting a trailer, and a TV to go with it, wouldn't you figure out what trailer will fit your needs first? Then, find a TV to match up to it? If that's not the right order, then just get a 17' Sport - you can tow it with about anything.
Horse before the cart

BassAkwards, I've also wondered why the TV is the first thing folks worry about.
Decide on the "cart" first and werk forward.

Russ,
Is the AS dealer in NYS?
I wasn't aware we had one yet.

Bob
Old 03-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Minden , Nevada
I was just reading an article in the latest Airstream Life magazine written by Andy Thomson with Can-Am RV. He talked about towing a 30' A/S with a Taurus SHO. I was wondering how a car like this with a 1,000 lb. tow rating could safely tow a trailer weighing in at approx. 7-8,000 lbs? I went over the Siskyou mountains in 2006 with my '07 30' Classic. My TV was a '05 GMC 2500HD diesel. It was over 100 degrees outside and my tranny temp gauge was reading 210. How well would that Taurus tranny survive under conditions like that not to mention the brakes themselves trying to hold back all that weight going downhill?
A/S Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint louis , Missouri
Thumbs up Oh but I do love my tow vehicle

Hi All - so today I put a deposit down on a 23ft FB specifically because I can tow it with my current tow vehicle ( I own a 19ft 2008 Int'l with a 2006 4Runner v8 TV). I think I really want a 25 ft eventually but can't get over moving into a larger tow vehicle. This thread is helping me rethink that. I LOVE the 4Runner though - so I'm out here trying to decide if I should get my deposit back or not.
"Homer"
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/S Squared View Post
I was just reading an article in the latest Airstream Life magazine written by Andy Thomson with Can-Am RV. How well would that Taurus tranny survive under conditions like that not to mention the brakes themselves trying to hold back all that weight going downhill?
The 4,400lb 2013 Taurus SHO has 13.86 Dia front brake rotors.

Your 6,000lb 2004 2500HD pickup appears to have 13.25 Dia front brake rotors. Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: How Big are your Brakes?

Looks like the car may have better stopping abilities.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
If the trailer has brakes, why do we even need brakes on the tow vehicle? As long as the engine is strong enough to get the rig rolling on a public street, the trailer should be able to do the stopping. How's that for logic? My truck has 3 brake systems. Peddle, Trans, exhaust. But my tow vehicle was built to Tow, and to Haul loads. A ford SHO was built to be an entry level sports car for a family guy to be able to sell the cost to his wife so he could sit in traffic and satisfy his ego. Each to their own, but I bet the SHO brakes heat up and fail before I even need to touch my brake peddle.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Never ending argument, and of little value because neither one is ideal for a medium-sized Airstream.

As has been stated earlier, pick the trailer first, then pick a tow vehicle to match towing and non-towing needs.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Yes but this under sized vehicle issue still makes the hair on the back of neck stand up.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/S Squared View Post
I was just reading an article in the latest Airstream Life magazine written by Andy Thomson with Can-Am RV. He talked about towing a 30' A/S with a Taurus SHO. I was wondering how a car like this with a 1,000 lb. tow rating could safely tow a trailer weighing in at approx. 7-8,000 lbs? I went over the Siskyou mountains in 2006 with my '07 30' Classic. My TV was a '05 GMC 2500HD diesel. It was over 100 degrees outside and my tranny temp gauge was reading 210. How well would that Taurus tranny survive under conditions like that not to mention the brakes themselves trying to hold back all that weight going downhill?
Not forgetting that Andy's Taurus will have been modified somewhat; extra transmission oil cooler, brake controller, bespoke or modified hitch and a well tuned weight distribution system. With these modifications, the manufacturer's tow rating is rendered meaningless.

If you ever get a chance, you should try to hear one of Andy's talks; they're most instructive and will challenge what you know about towing.