Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi Perri - I wonder if another 1970's era vehicle would be the answer:

I was behind one on the highway last week and thought it would be one very cool tow vehicle (probably with some help from Can Am or other outfit).
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I was thinking the very same thing.

These old Mercs, specifically with the 300 turbo-diesel power plant, are indestructible.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I recall those MBs from my youth. I would be delighted to use one, but even at the time they seemed kind of like slow dogs, regardless of the video. I may be quite mistaken, of course. Could have been the engine and exhaust sound those diesels made which caused that impression.

What about a much less stylish option like this conversion van?
Used 2002 Dodge B1500 Conversion Van
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I drove a Mercedes 300TD for a while - sadly not the station wagon, which I love. It didn't win any speed records for sure, but it had very decent pickup for a car of its size and age.

No opinion on the van, but my personal preference for tow vehicles is, from the top:

• Medium sized SUV, ideally a diesel. VW Touareg, Merc ML350 Bluetec, Jeep.
• Van, or minivan. Excellent handling, high payload and tons of space.
• Trucks. Would not want one as a daily driver.

Keep in mind that a: my trailer is fairly light, especially compared to modern trailers and b: we don't carry much in the way of stuff. No generators, no huge BBQ, just the family and camping essentials. And good coffee. Can't travel without good coffee.

Also, we don't live in the Rockies, where our current TV would soon be out of grunt.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by perri View Post
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I recall those MBs from my youth. I would be delighted to use one, but even at the time they seemed kind of like slow dogs, regardless of the video. I may be quite mistaken, of course. Could have been the engine and exhaust sound those diesels made which caused that impression.

What about a much less stylish option like this conversion van?
Used 2002 Dodge B1500 Conversion Van
Not sure. According to this: http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/vehicl...vehicleFamily= your max towing capacity is 7650#. There would be a lot of assumptions there - this isn't a detailed site by any means. Also assumes the van you're looking at has a receiver that would also carry that load. I'm guessing (uneducated - take with a huge grain of salt!! ) you can get almost anything to work with the right modifications.

I love my truck to pull the trailer but its a ridiculous commuter vehicle. How would this van fit those scenarios for you?

Wish I could be of more help!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #66
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I was told by the Airstream a dealer in my area that the classic limited 27 FB can be towed by a large SUV such as the Land Cruiser or Lincoln navigator. If true, that is good news.
Remember a dealer will tell you anything to get you off the lot with a trailer.

I bought one of the new short Land Cruisers when they first came out truth is I can't see it being very good at towing anything of any size on the highway very far.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
>I love my truck to pull the trailer but its a ridiculous commuter vehicle. How would this van fit those scenarios for you?

Down the road (ugh), we were hoping to get ourselves a camper van for travel and we can use a van for hauling, definitely. I did not have this elaborate kind of van in mind. (We wore out a VW Eurovan and were hoping to get something like that before this AS came along.) But this van looks comfortable enough for spouse's back. Our dry weight on the '70 O-landr is <4600, and a van is the most useful vehicle for us when not towing.

I'd rather have something more low-profile than this van. We are secret agents and don't want to draw attention to ourselves with swirly van art. Actually, that was a lie. But I seriously do not like expressing myself through my vehicles, and this van definitely has something to say. 1st world problem, I know... The important thing is towing. An Odyssey or Sienna would be good, if I could count on them for towing. I will be talking to several mechanics today about this TV issue.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
>I know... The important thing is towing. An Odyssey or Sienna would be good, if I could count on them for towing. I will be talking to several mechanics today about this TV issue.
I do most of my own vehicle service/repair work but for the in depth stuff I have a very good mechanic. Unfortunately he does not know a thing about towing.

Folks can't see to get past the pre conceived ideas they have about towing.

He still can't come to terms with how well our Mini Van and car have stood the test of time as tow vehicles.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
We just got home from an 11,000 mile round trip to Alaska and back with our 2005 22 ft Safari pulled with a 10 year old Dodge 2500 4 door short bed , inline 6 Cummins diesel , 5 spd manual , 373 gears . The truck performed flawlessly and were able to
travel 1800 miles between fuel stops with the 90 gallon aux. tank that gravity flows into the main tank. Have pulled the 66 24 footer with a variety of gasoline powered ,half ton chassis vehicles in the past, there is absolutely no comparison as to how this 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins performed.
We will NEVER use another gasoline vehicle to tow with ever again .
Good Luck !
Danny and Rachael
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Those cars of yore were suitable as tow vehicles because they were body on frame, they didn't have high horsepower, but had alot of torque. Many people got adjustable "air shocks" to handle the tongue weights. My dad towed lots of trailers with his '73 Sedan de Ville.

I would not just dismiss getting a truck without driving some first. The new ones are very easy to drive. I'd say a pickup is probably easier to drive than a large SUV like a Suburban or Expedition - simply from having fewer blind spots.

As many have indicated, many vehicles will do the job. The difference is how comfortably will they do it. More is always better in the following categories - especially if you are not an experienced tower.

Wheelbase - longer will be a more stable ride and handling characteristics
Heavier - the trailer will have a harder time pushing the TV around. But keep in mind that a heavier vehicle also needs more engine power to move itself and whatever load it carries around.
Stiffer suspension/high payload rating - when loaded the TV handles the undulations in the road better, but unloaded they can ride like buckboards.
Engine power - 400 hp is better than 200 hp, but comes at a higher upfront cost as well as operating cost.
Torque - more is better for towing. Doesn't always correlate to engine horsepower, so watch your numbers here.

Good luck in what you decide!
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
> An Odyssey or Sienna would be good, if I could count on them for towing. I will be talking to several mechanics today about this TV issue.
It's about set up. My Sienna LE has a strengthened hitch (to resist torque from the weight distribution system and to help distribute the weight better), an additional oil cooler and a decent brake controller; it wouldn't work without those things. As it is, we're sitting in a Campground in Massachusetts in our 2011 28' International, having towed with the Sienna, trouble free, from south western Ontario. We went to Florida and Louisiana a year or two back.

OK, so it's POURING with rain now in Mass. but it's cozy in the Airstream

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Sounds nice, Steve.

I would prefer a van over a truck for its usefulness to us when we're not towing. And setting up a Sienna for towing sounds attractive, but we don't have anyone nearby that can do that, that we know of.

There is, OTOH, a wealth of used Ford Excursions and Expeditions around here. The Excursions comes in a t-diesel V8 or a gas V-10. I believe we'd be able to pull with the Excursion safely and comfortably, yes? The seating looks very comfortable. And with some seats folded or removed, we have a lot of cargo space--space that's just hard for someone with a back injury to access comfortably.

Nell
Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Sounds nice, Steve.

I would prefer a van over a truck for its usefulness to us when we're not towing. And setting up a Sienna for towing sounds attractive, but we don't have anyone nearby that can do that, that we know of.

There is, OTOH, a wealth of used Ford Excursions and Expeditions around here. The Excursions comes in a t-diesel V8 or a gas V-10. I believe we'd be able to pull with the Excursion safely and comfortably, yes? The seating looks very comfortable. And with some seats folded or removed, we have a lot of cargo space--space that's just hard for someone with a back injury to access comfortably.

Nell
I'm no expert on tow vehicles but I know a man who is; he who must not be named but he lives in Ontario. He's a fan of the Fords you mention so I'm sure you could get something sorted, especially if you call him and ask.

We hauled our Airstream north from Mass. up to Quebec City yesterday. We went through Franconia Notch in the White Mountains National Park and whilst that's not so high up there, it's a fairly long climb and the Sienna worked beautifully. The gas mileage was up a little on our usual, we were still above 13 mpg. I'm not saying the Sienna is to everyone's tastes but it certainly does the job for us.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Missoula , Montana
New Bambi owner confused about towing vehicle!

Ok, my husband and I are new to this site. Just bought our first AS 19ft (we are over 60 and were sailors for years) and can't wait to use her as soon as the weather clears up here in Montana. Question though - we have a 2007 Tacoma 6cyl double cab extended bed truck with towing package and just added the electric brake system. We thought this would be just fine in the towing department but after reading all of the vast differing opinions on the subject, now wonder what to do!

I know I am probably opening up lots of cans of worms but any new opinions on our truck's capability with her new friend, Bambi?

Montana's Northernsailors
wando1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #75

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wando1997 View Post
Ok, my husband and I are new to this site. Just bought our first AS 19ft (we are over 60 and were sailors for years) and can't wait to use her as soon as the weather clears up here in Montana. Question though - we have a 2007 Tacoma 6cyl double cab extended bed truck with towing package and just added the electric brake system. We thought this would be just fine in the towing department but after reading all of the vast differing opinions on the subject, now wonder what to do!

I know I am probably opening up lots of cans of worms but any new opinions on our truck's capability with her new friend, Bambi?

Montana's Northernsailors
You have a small Airstream and a Tacoma that you already own and is properly equipped for towing. Take a trip or two with the Tacoma, if its performance is unsatisfactory you can look for another tow vehicle... if you're happy with it's performance, you can just enjoy the trip!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What he said...
I would try using the Tacoma...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Missoula , Montana
Thanks for the replies! I think we will just hold off buying anything new since we have this one all fixed up for towing already plus the ole girl is paid for. I will keep my fingers crossed that the Tacoma will not have too many complaints when going up and down all the mountain ranges here!
wando1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The key phrase here is paid for...
More money for camping trips-
I have 2 notes left and 34,000 miles.
It might have 35,000 miles when I get it paid for April 23.
Woohoo!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote