Old 03-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York

Originally Posted by RDale View Post
I am getting ready to pick up a new 25' Flying Cloud. We have a 19' Bambi now, that I am pulling with a 2007 Tundra 4.7L without a towing package (6000 lbs tow rating). I don't think that this is going to be enough to tow the new trailer. I probably carry up to 500 lbs in the truck bed plus two people. Any suggestions for a new tow vehicle. 1/2 or 3/4 ton? Gas or Diesel? Needs to be a truck for my other stuff. Thanks for any suggestions.
We have 23' '2014 International Serenity and tow with a 2012 Ford 250 crew cab with a 6.7 L Diesel and tow package. The travel and camp ground experience is just super. Loads of power, torque, space, everything. Confidence level high. Sense of security also high. Basically a bit of overkill BUT I like not pushing the "envelope." You can find a TV with less capability and less cost. Your choice and based on $$$$$$. I would want a TV at least 10-15% heavier than the TT and rated to haul at least 10-15% more than the weight of the TT. If $$$$ is not paramount pick a TV that has the qualities you know will give you the sense of security towing you really want to have. If $$$$ are a real issue , compromise. Good luck and congrats on the new Airstream

Oh, I would buy a GMC Tahoe or Chevy Suburban, biggest engine available. In trucks a 2500 minimum with a 5+ liter engine. If I could find a Diesel engine of similar size it would be preferred. Diesel engines are just better towing vehicles than gas.

Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:08 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Consider adding the tow package to the truck you have and carrying less in the truck bed. We used our 2006 Tundra 4.7 on two cross-country trips when we first bought our FC 25, it did very well. No problems, we traded for another half-ton because we wanted a newer truck.

ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:05 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Thanks for all of the information. I am picking up the trailer with my present truck and will still look for a different tow vehicle sometime.

RDale is offline   Reply With Quote