Old 04-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I researched the heck out of this for two years. Between the Hensley and the hitch CanAm built and installed it is great. Yes, I am over specs with this but with the Hensley controlling the sway, the weight distribution settling the vehicle just right, the trailer being completely level, plus the fantastic handling of the vehicle it handles great. The trailer brakes stop the trailer with out pushing the vehicle one bit. I don't accelerate like I did with the Suburban but I could if needed. It's the lower center of gravity, 6 speed transmission, tow package, etc. that make it all work. I talked to Andy Thomson ad nauseum before I invested i the car. I drive cars over 200,000 miles so I could justify the investment. We tow a few weeks a year so needed a reliable vehicle that could also fit in a parking lot. Andy knows his stuff. People might say I am foolish but the data is there. I would encourage anyone with questions to contact Andy at CanAm.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." -- Frank Zappa
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I agree. Contact Andy and go with whatever he tells you.
I have a 2wd 2008 Tundra double cab with the 5.7L motor. It was one of the fastest trucks when tested that year. It has plenty of power with about 400 hp & torque, a great 6 speed tranny and a 4.3 rear end. The problem is the payload and rear end loading. My payload is 1,480. With my 24 ft Tradewind I am not all that far under the payload and rear axle rating. You may be at or over the rating depending on how much stuff you take. Fuel economy is about 13.5 mpg driving gently 55-65. Plenty of back seat room in the double cab and a 6.5 ft bed.
I love my Tundra.

Good luck with your choice.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote