Old 09-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emh142 View Post
I'm trying to pull a 34 ft Limited with a Yukon 5.3L. Want to go out West next year and run around in the mountains for a while. I think I need a new vehicle (judging from my white knuckle event getting out of a fishing camp on Dale Hollow lake this Summer - 30 seconds of 9MPH at 1800RPM with cliffs all around). Can't get any straight talk from the dealers and all I see from most of the forums is to go with a 3/4 ton diesel. Anyone know of a consultant (I don't mind paying a fee) that can advise me on a tow vehicle that isn't "overkill" but is comfortable to drive with confidence? I just installed a ProPride hitch and it solved my sway problem but the Yukon just doesn't seem to have the guts to pull it uphill. Regards, Don Hetzler.
I'd be happy to be your consultant at my customary $500/hr rate.

Regards,

Ken

Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenko302 View Post
Since General Motors became Government Motors, Good Luck
They all 3 got bailed out. GM is making big money now and paid back the loans i seen on the news last week.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Take the trailer to a certified scale -- full water & propane -- plus a good approximation in weight of what you travel with. With axle and tongue weights available (and Airstream's gross trailer weight rating) you ought to be able to eliminate quite a few TV choices (based on your displeasure with your current TV).

I had no desire for a 3/4T truck, but, were I to do it over I'd have gone for a 1T (Dodges ride stiffly) as I can easily approach GVWR I've learned. What I did want was better fuel mileage and power in all applications than my 1/2T shortbed. A longbed 4-dr Dodge with manual transmission fit the bill for me: great fuel economy, greater work ability, and -- with a bed topper -- 170 cubic feet to sling all the stuff I "might" need in the back.

The truck was also necessary for business purposes, so I might have gone for a Suburban otherwise . . but their fuel economy is lousy by comparison. The 305/555 Cummins makes a superior vehicle solo and towing. Just a leetle hard to park, though.

What a retired guy can use is different from a family man, etc. Same with those who might run the truck 8,000 miles annually versus 28,000 annually (I've been in both positions); the ownership expense becomes higher.

I, too, agree with finding a nicely used TV. Use it a year or so and then decide if a newer one is the way to go. A 3/4T 2004.0 Dodge with the Cummins is at a good price point now, and unlikely to depreciate much the next few years. Stick with 2WD for fewer repairs and maintenance, plus the better ride/handling of IFS + rack & pinion steering. Tires and brakes last forever (Michelin & MOPAR, respectively).

Two engine configs in '04: Be sure it is the 305/555, not the 325/600.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...=&cardist=6672

Add a rear axle anti-roll bar [HELWIG], lose the gimpy "running boards", add BILSTEIN blue/yellow shock absorbers, MICHELIN tires, TORKLIFT hitch receiver, tonneau cover or topper, and change the fluids, lamps, etc. This truck can easily get 16-19 in town and 21+ on the road (see sig). I've only had to replace the u-joints on mine (the single repair) in 170,000 miles.

Good luck

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
3/4 T diesel is the your best choice. It will get you up the mountains and most improtant it will help you slow down going downhill.
We recently spent a month in British Columbia through the Okanagen Valley on up the Ice Fields Parkway to Jasper. I can atest to the fact that if we did not have our F-250 diesel we would be stranded someplace. The tow haul features of the modern diesels are excellent at helping to slow you down on the 6-8% downhill grades. The lugging power of the diesel going up these same grades for 3-4 miles makes for good towing capacity. Don't even consider something less if you want to be safe and capable of handling a 34' AS.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
had a 350 gas with a 26 foot sob that weighed 6500lbs and that truck struggled with the hills in pennsylvania.with a 31 or 34 size trailer going into the rockies the best answer from experience is 3/4 ton diesel,or 3/4 ton big block gas motor.however drive both and i think you will prefer the diesel.as far as noise the newer diesels are almost as quiet as gas models.my 2005 6.0 diesel is noisy at idle but quiets down under highway speeds.gas or diesel is going to be loud under load going thru the rockies.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
We have a 32' Excella and pull it with our Chevy 2500HD/6.0gas/4.10 rear/Hensley hitch, with 150.000 plus miles on it. She still pull great, but we are going to be on the road alot more. Since General Motors became Government Motors, I'm going with either
a Ford F-350 4x4 diesel (non-dually) or over kill it with a F-450 4x4 diesel (dually). I've driven both and I'm sold.. Good Luck
Let me suggest a quick rethink on a F350 or F450.

While both of those trucks are great. You may want to consider that those rear suspensions are way more than you need and they are very stiff. That stiffness will transfer to your trailer and beat it pretty bad. Rivets will pop and things will come a loose.

A F250 will have all the pull and stop you will ever need for your trailer and treat your trailer to a more gentle ride which will save you in trailer repairs.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #21
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
I'm going with either
a Ford F-350 4x4 diesel (non-dually) or over kill it with a F-450 4x4 diesel (dually). I've driven both and I'm sold.. Good Luck
It seems like the size of our toys keeps growing...it'll be a while...but our next truck will be a dually as well.

The capability, stability, and safety of the training wheels is so compelling...

All the new HD trucks are incredible!

Bill
Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
It seems like the size of our toys keeps growing...it'll be a while...but our next truck will be a dually as well.

The capability, stability, and safety of the training wheels is so compelling...

All the new HD trucks are incredible!

Bill
A Kenworth after that one?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
St. Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
They all 3 got bailed out. GM is making big money now and paid back the loans i seen on the news last week.

Check it out, GM and Chrysler took the bail-out,Ford reorginized 4 years
ago and didn't take assistance. GM sales are down 25% in August.
I hope they all have success!!! Kind Regards..
Old 09-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
The industry overall took a hit in year-over-year numbers in August, because August 2009 was the last of the Cash4Clunkers program, lots of people who had been sitting on the fence or were considering a purchase "soon" rushed their purchase into August.

A few individual brands like Cadillac had a good August, because they have new/appealing product.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bible Hill , Nova Scotia
Suggest you consult a Canadian expert

Hey Don.. As you can see the tow vehicle subject tends to elicit many and usually strongly held opinions!

Andy Thompson, Jr of Can-Am RV in Lambeth (London) Ontario, Canada is an expert in this field. He is nationally known contributor to several RV publications, and author of the long-running column Hitch Hints.

I have asked him two or three such questions in the past and I have never known him to hold back OR charge a fee....

Generally I found that there is a tendency to over kill on tow vehicles, but you may find differently.

TF 1 866 226 2678
or
info@canamrv.ca

Good Luck
George
Old 09-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bible Hill , Nova Scotia
Clearer

Clarification - I meant to say that people in general overkill on vehicles, NOT Mr. Thompson!
GB
Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Government Loan Guarantees Help Ford Beat The Debt | The Truth About Cars
Old 09-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Loan guarantees aren't the same thing as loans, which aren't the same thing as a bailout (which connotes a grant or gift that needn't be repaid.) Ford made better decisions much sooner than GM and Chrysler, and consequently is in a less-bad position now.