Old 05-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Actually the reports are that HP will stay at 365 but torque will increase to 450 lb ft!

And yes, the 10 speed tranny.

Not sure about payload. They just modified the design. Are they making more changes?
From what I have read, there are many changes/improvements in suspension, engine, outside features, and of course, trany. Trany is supposed to use "smart" technology and will skip gears as needed, so your not going up/down every time. Sounds like better fuel economy. No word on break improvements yet, however, which is a concern for me. Ford guys I talked with this morning are not totally up with the news release (dah!) as usual.

gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Bob, you ended your first post by saying safety was your main concern. You will hear a lot on here about what others have done and done with no problems, as yet. Will be interesting to see if their TV begins to have problems down the road. All mean well, but there are limitations for a reason. At the end of the day, make sure you are not exceeding those limitations. Get a TV that can handle the weight you plan to load in it, and of course the trailer. In the long run, you will be much better for it. You will always find someone in life that wants to live on the edge. What works for some might not work for others and it only takes one time to realize the mistake. Good hunting.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
Bob, you ended your first post by saying safety was your main concern. You will hear a lot on here about what others have done and done with no problems, as yet. Will be interesting to see if their TV begins to have problems down the road. All mean well, but there are limitations for a reason. At the end of the day, make sure you are not exceeding those limitations. Get a TV that can handle the weight you plan to load in it, and of course the trailer. In the long run, you will be much better for it. You will always find someone in life that wants to live on the edge. What works for some might not work for others and it only takes one time to realize the mistake. Good hunting.
Good advice!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
It's not all about the pulllin'!

It sounds like the F 150 is about right, but nobody has talked about the stoppin'. That is why I just got an F 250. Heavier frame, truck-like ride, larger, heavier tires and bigger brakes. I don't drive much over 60 mph as a rule, and my old V10 handled my FC 30 with no problem. I was a little apprehensive about having to go with the V8, but I am confident it will be adequate. For our regular trips to Florida and south Alabama, I know it will be fine. I also know it will be a bit slow on the high plains of western Kansas and eastern Colorado. It may wind up a bit in the mountains, but I am willing to put up with that for a couple of hours per year. For your trailer, unless you are willing to ascribe to the philosophy often voiced here, that there is no such thing as too much power (like too much money, a girl too pretty or a car too fast), you will enjoy your gas-burner, and have a lot of money left to spend on fun things.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
[QUOTE=GoWhereTowed;1787410You will always find someone in life that wants to live on the edge. What works for some might not work for others and it only takes one time to realize the mistake.[/QUOTE]

That's quite a back-handed remark to the thousands of us who have done the research and taken the care to set up our lighter trucks for absolutely rock-solid handling in emergency maneuvers that most over-sized vehicles could not achieve.

Don't assume that we don't know what we're doing in choosing and matching our tow vehicles, hitch setups, and Airstreams as perfectly as possible to perform exceptionally in a variety of towing conditions.

Don't assume we are living at the edge or making unrealized mistakes;
our choices are quite intentional, total setups very purposeful, and safety considerations far beyond a weight capacity chart.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Sounds like you are doing it right. Don't know why you took exception to my remarks. In the original post, he said they are new to towing so do not know all that you do or have all your experience. I am sure we could all learn something from you.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Peterborough , New Hampshire
tow vehicle

has anyone ever considered the chevy colorado diesel?
terrylarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Wife and I have been hauling our AS with a 2000 Dodge diesel 4x4 and we get about 15 - 16 mpg. We are getting aged and crawling up into the Dodge has been getting rather a PITA with arthritis.

I have been kicking the can on a new truck, run spread sheets with different options on all the major brands. After many, many hours and test driving the different brands we pulled the trigger on a new 2016 F-150 premium XLT, 4x4, 6.5" bed, 3.5 Eco Boost, 3.55 electric locking rear and a 36 gallon fuel tank today.

Truck retailed at $46K+, we got it for $38K OTD.

Truck is supposed to be able to pull about 11,000# and have a 2,000 payload, that should be enough to tote the wife and I, our Chesapeake Bay Ret. and any AS up to 27' according to all my spread sheets.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylarock View Post
has anyone ever considered the chevy colorado diesel?

Colorado diesel is the only light duty diesel that comes standard with exhaust brake. In TFL test, it came down the Eisenhower tunnel grade with only 1 brake application. Decent payload as well (more than some 1/2 tons). I think it's a great choice for small/medium sized trailers.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Colorado diesel is the only light duty diesel that comes standard with exhaust brake. In TFL test, it came down the Eisenhower tunnel grade with only 1 brake application. Decent payload as well (more than some 1/2 tons). I think it's a great choice for small/medium sized trailers.
I agree. Certainly not for everybody but for those who may live in metro areas and need a daily driver/tow vehicle dual purpose, looks decent.

I'm a little surprised at the exhaust brake. Heavy duty pickups have them because they need them, lighter pickups not so much.

The effectiveness of an 8-speed transmission designed to automatically engage the compression of our engine on steeper downhills to slow the rig is very good. When it's not enough, or as all engine braking on slippery roadway, our truck and trailer service brakes can easily handle the task.

And we have used them with our previous truck; recent inspections of that truck and our trailer brakes show little brake wear at 50k Miles. Our present truck just pulled our Airstream 3,500+ miles cross country with only compression braking on the downhills.

On the new Colorado diesel, maybe the exhaust brake became part of the package to provide braking for the increased diesel engine weight and insufficient service brakes to accommodate the higher tow and load ratings the diesel allows? Some severe guessing on my part, but it's a curiosity.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoelscher View Post
Good Morning, switz. Thanks for laying it out that way. Your conclusion is logical and based on the math. Hard to refute.

It seems to me that even if the tongue weight was 1200 lbs and the passengers 410 lbs, we could put darn few things in the bed of the truck or the cab. Of course, then why have a Super Crew cab, right? I think we will go look at the F250s; especially since the 2017 models will be as modern as the F150s are today! Thank you!
We towed our 25FB for a year with a 2008 Range Rover HSE that weighs 6,100 lbs. and didn't mind the 45 MPH in 3rd up long grades, but the downhill part getting pushed around was nerve wracking. We up graded to the F350 diesel for the payload and compression brake (Jake Brake). Looked at the F250, but the only difference is the additional rear leaf spring to give it the 3,600 lbs. payload. The ride is about the same as it is using the F250 leaves until additional payload weight is added. Love the truck, tows like a dream! Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1999 33' Land Yacht
Clear Lake , Minnesota
TV Choices

Be sure to always go a few notches up the scale to allow for extras which are sure to come. But above all give yourself plenty of excess capacity, it may save your life; it did mine.
Devananda-E9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:51 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2LLIO View Post
The truck hardly sweated. Ran about 1500 RPMs cruising on the highways at 63 MPH. We avg'd 11.8 MPG (20.1 MPG not towing on the way out to FL).
This is the one thing a lot of folks also forget. With the ease of towing with larger engines and higher gear ratios, you'll get different MPG. We're averaging around 11.5 - 12 MPG with a GMC 1500 and our 23d. But looking at the various RV forums you'll find folks who use a 2500 as a tow vehicle tend to get one or two MPG better. That's not much, but it adds up. When it comes time to look at new vehicles, I'm seriously considering a 2500 (or looking closer to the 1500 Diesel that RAM offers).

Wayne
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Heading east with the 23D behind the Mercedes, I got 11.5 mpg coming out through the Salt River Canyon escape route of US60 to Show Low, AZ. Once up to the higher elevations, I am now seeing around 15mpg. Big caveat, I am driving 55 mph as that is the sweet spot for the drive train to drop back to fourth from seventh on steeper inclines and maintain 55 mph at 3,000 to 3,100 rpm in the 3.0L turbocharged diesel.

The engine is not working at full power or near the 4,500 rpm redline.

It is all about the homework folks.

Trips across the scales for both tow vehicle and trailer (and even getting the individual wheel loads after all the modifications to the trailer to be sure there was adequate load capacity at every tire) and the proper placement of the heavier "new equipment" and our stuff impacts the balance of the trailer both front to back and left to right.

After determining the tongue weight, then the next phase was selecting what could go inside the car and where.

Think of this as a giant cross word puzzle where everything gets in the proper place and there is a beautiful rig that performs as we wanted for the mission we envisioned.

This process is a necessity for all of us except the few who selected a Peterbilt as the tow vehicle.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote