Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #61
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsr View Post
Is any one using a tow Vehicle (Diesel) that is quiet, with no diesel smell?

I'm looking for a new TV.

Thanks

Lynn
In my experience (had several diesels) they are much quieter than they used to be. Still noisier than a comparable gasoline engine. But quiet is a relative term.

The smell is still there, but it isnt so much exhaust these days as refuelling. Some wear disposable gloves.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

some town , PA
First trip in Big Blue today. 230 hilly miles, a mix of highway and back roads. We averaged 18.4 MPG. I thought that was pretty good for a new engine. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	291863
philly_air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Long Beach , California
I believe the GMC has triple insulation that makes the cabin quiet - I have no complaints and am sensitive to repetitive noise. I would also recommend a diesel. I had a gas 1500 Chevy Suburban and it was a bummer on the hills and if I needed to accelerate to pass someone.

2016 International Signature 28
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4X4 Crew Cab Z71

WBCCI #21506

airwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
My 2016 Silverado 1500 is very quiet inside, so I imagine this one is too. GM has made lots of improvements since 2015 to the interior fit, finish and sound isolation of their truck interiors. I’m very happy with my truck.
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

some town , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
My 2016 Silverado 1500 is very quiet inside, so I imagine this one is too. GM has made lots of improvements since 2015 to the interior fit, finish and sound isolation of their truck interiors. I’m very happy with my truck.
This is my first Chevy truck but I can say that my 2500 diesel is very quiet on the road. Even outside the truck with the engine running is not loud at all.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #66
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Payload capacity

Philly, just curious as not familiar with GM 3/4s. What is the payload listed on the driver's door pillar?

Thanks!

Dave
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:28 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
In my experience (had several diesels) they are much quieter than they used to be. Still noisier than a comparable gasoline engine. But quiet is a relative term.

The smell is still there, but it isnt so much exhaust these days as refuelling. Some wear disposable gloves.
Diesel smell and noise sounds rather retro to me. About twenty years ago.
Today's diesels are no more noisier than the rumble from any high performance car. As to the smell, gasoline is not exactly odorless either. Ever get some on your hands ? It stinks just the same.
I spent over 40 years of my working life around diesel engines. I kind of like the old time smell of diesel engines and the rumble early in the morning. I look at gasoline driven things as kind of puny wannabes.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Diesel way better than gas

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Long Beach , California
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_air View Post
This is my first Chevy truck but I can say that my 2500 diesel is very quiet on the road. Even outside the truck with the engine running is not loud at all.

Mine is super quiet I remember reading about the extra sound insulation in the sales brochure around the doors, never smelled anything exhaust wise even when idling while hooking up.

2016 International Signature 28
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4X4 Crew Cab Z71

WBCCI #21506

airwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Drive a new diesel from GM or Ford and see for yourself.No diesel smell and extremely quiet.And they have more pulling power at idle speed than most gas engines at 4500-5500rpm.Not all applications require a diesel but if you are pulling a larger trailer they are a good choice.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
My lil 3.0l economy diesel is made by VM Motori and is holding up fine after 340,000 plus towing TTs daily.
I just had to interject because the post was so off base.
Wow! Good for you. I had to look up VM Motari and discovered it's an Italian diesel made by Fiat (currently) 340,000 Miles? You might hold the record.
I owned a Fiat. Once.
Then I see your sig is Vern Diesel so I guess I should have expected a diesel fan.

My post was so far off base? Sorry, but I have broad shoulders, I can take it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #72
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwoody View Post
Mine is super quiet I remember reading about the extra sound insulation in the sales brochure around the doors, never smelled anything exhaust wise even when idling while hooking up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Drive a new diesel from GM or Ford and see for yourself. No diesel smell and extremely quiet.
Yes, the extra sound insulation is required because the engines are noisier. The manufacturers well understand this. It is easily measurable, it isn't a debate. And note that the sound insulation only addresses the noise in the cab, not that heard outside the vehicle.

My comment about exhaust was that you won't notice the smell on a modern diesel (unless of course you are a pedestrian or cyclist, then it is often noticeable, but more the particulates than the smell). The smell that you can't get away from is when refueling. But you can wear gloves if necessary, that helps. They are there at the pumps for a reason.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Yes, the extra sound insulation is required because the engines are noisier. The manufacturers well understand this. It is easily measurable, it isn't a debate. And note that the sound insulation only addresses the noise in the cab, not that heard outside the vehicle.

My comment about exhaust was that you won't notice the smell on a modern diesel (unless of course you are a pedestrian or cyclist, then it is often noticeable, but more the particulates than the smell). The smell that you can't get away from is when refueling. But you can wear gloves if necessary, that helps. They are there at the pumps for a reason.

Actually you are incorrect on the exterior noise level (these are very quiet engines compared to the older versions) and smell and I do not get diesel on my hands when refueling.
Another negative and derogatory comment from someone who evidently has not owned or driven a current platform diesel.....

Please post the emissions stats and sound decibels generated at idle and highway speed for a 2017 6.7 diesel compared to your current personal tow vehicle.We would all be interested in learning the difference.......

Gasoline due to it now being mostly chemical additives (now clear)and not all Dino fuel (was pink)anymore is actually harder to wash off than diesel fuel due to its current low emissions hwy refining process and formula.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #74
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Actually you are incorrect on the exterior noise level (these are very quiet engines compared to the older versions) and smell and I do not get diesel on my hands when refueling.
Another negative and derogatory comment from someone who evidently has not owned or driven a current platform diesel.....

Please post the emissions stats and sound decibels generated at idle and highway speed for a 2017 6.7 diesel compared to your current personal tow vehicle.We would all be interested in learning the difference.......

Gasoline due to it now being mostly chemical additives (now clear)and not all Dino fuel (was pink)anymore is actually harder to wash off than diesel fuel due to its current low emissions hwy refining process and formula.
I fully agree that these engines are quieter than earlier versions. I posted so. They just aren't as quiet as gasoline engines. That is why people regularly post things like "quiet for a diesel". It is why manufacturers spend the money on additional sound insulation. It is why so much money is being spent developing injectors with multiple injection events, managing the engine noise. If they would just reduce the compression ratio and use a spark plug, they could get them as quiet as a gasoline engine. But then they wouldn't get the other benefits of a diesel engine.

I am happy for you that you don't notice the fuel smell when refuelling. Despite your experience, fuel suppliers spend money giving away disposable gloves to manage this concern. Maybe they are all wrong. I know that with my diesels, my spouse didn't want to refuel them. After my owning several diesels, she just wasn't interested. And it wasn't a capability issue, she has driven everything up to 100 ton capacity off-road trucks.

I am happy you like your diesel. I don't have a current diesel pickup, but have driven many. I also worked with diesel equipment and trucks for decades, and that included conducting witness tests and customer acceptance tests that included sound pressure levels. I got to work on the development of next generation power trains (engines that aren't out yet, so newer than current platforms). Noise was an interesting one, as the company was developing dual fuel systems that, as a byproduct, had less noise due to the use of multiple injectors. It beat multiple injection events. Watch for them in future products.

My current tow vehicle has an inline six gasoline engine. It isn't a pickup. And so is irrelevant to the discussion. We are discussing noise, smell, and now emissions of diesel vs gas engines. You should know the figures, they are generally available. When you find figures that show lower noise for gasoline engines than diesels, let us know.

It is nice that you like your new pickup. But perhaps you could consider the basic facts and features associated with different designs without trying to make it personal, or feeling that your choices are being threatened. It doesn't help the poster who asked the question.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #75
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Another negative and derogatory comment from someone who evidently has not owned or driven a current platform diesel......
The smell I referenced was not exhaust, but during refuelling. I was unaware that current platform diesels don't actually use the same diesel fuel and diesel pumps as previous platforms. It is amazing the things you learn from experts on the interwebs.......

Quick poll for you. How many diesel engine owners use gloves when refuelling? How does that figure compare to gasoline engine owners when refuelling? More, or fewer?
Old 08-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Drive a new diesel from GM or Ford and see for yourself.No diesel smell and extremely quiet.And they have more pulling power at idle speed than most gas engines at 4500-5500rpm.
Lol. Ummmm no they don't. They are nice though!
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:

Huh?

Actually both smells last all day on your hands. And it's all Dino fuel. Gas is just a different point in the refining process.

This thread is awesome
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Tow vehicle comparison...opinions wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Huh?

Actually both smells last all day on your hands. And it's all Dino fuel. Gas is just a different point in the refining process.

This thread is awesome

I have a friend that was a senior chemical engineer for Exxon Mobil who's job had been to create fuel blend additives for many years.He explained that with the additives they can take 1 gallon of Dino fuel and make 3 gallons of today's gasoline and that is why the fuel is no longer pink as it was until the 80's and is now clear.He also stated that the chemical additives make it much harder wash off than the Dino fuel we used to know.The gasoline that we are currently burning is mostly a blend of chemical additives.We first met when he bought a new Lamborghini from me and we became friends over the years.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:13 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

some town , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
Philly, just curious as not familiar with GM 3/4s. What is the payload listed on the driver's door pillar?

Thanks!

Dave

Here is my payload info. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	604.2 KB
ID:	291982
Old 08-11-2017, 10:26 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Congratulations!!
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote