Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
Athens , Georgia
Tow Vehicle Change

Hello All,

We had been pulling or 23FB with a Jeep GC 5.7 Hemi. We logged some 13 to 15K miles with that configuration. We did trips through West Virginia, out to New Mexico, and up into Yellowstone. While we never lacked for power, there were a few times where the engine revved pretty high. We recently went from the Jeep to a Chevy 2500 duramax. While I never felt unsafe with the Jeep. I would like to note a few pros and cons with the current situation. The truck is a serious tow vehicle from the integrated brake controller to great mirrors and a very powerful engine. It is truly built for towing, and there is little chance of overloading the truck. The same could not be said of the Jeep. With two of us, the dog, folding bikes, and a couple of kayaks, we were pushing the limit. That coupled with a short wheel base and clamp on mirrors, made it less than ideal for towing. We do however miss the advantages of an SUV versus the truck, ease of parking, more comfortable ride, more room inside the vehicle for things, and ease of use when not towing. (We could always have the dog in back and room for a couple of guests.) Mileage with the Duramax is better than with the Jeep, diesel is less expensive than premium, and the longer wheelbase makes for a much better tow vehicle. Why can't Chevy build a Tahoe with about a 5 litre duramax and make it a serious towing SUV?
modebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I had a similar situation. Purchased a Serenity 28 in April, towing with a 2016 Expedition Ecoboost. Sufficient power, but it had to work hard. About 10 mpg. Biggest issue was 1319 payload and 962 lbs tongue weight. So it became an F250 diesel. Fantastic towing machine. Incredible power and 16+ mpg. I will never go back to a lighter duty tow vehicle.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Tow Vehicle Change

If you want to change tow vehicles a short or long wheelbase ‘burb or Tahoe would work fine for a 23’. 400hp+ gas engine would do fine. You might also take a hard look at the new Ford Expedition. Infiniti QX80 is another good choice (I towed my 2008 25’ 30k miles with a current generation QX - its really a great towing suv)

They don’t make a diesel suburb and because few people would buy it and they wouldn’t recoup development costs in a timely manner. All the manufacturers need to make business decisions to stay afloat / stay in alignment with market demands.

I would just keep the duramax. I tow my 30’ with one, but have a different daily driver.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:38 PM   #4
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
Compact DMAX? I haven't a clue why not.

I use a 15' GC 4x4 Summit EcoD as our primary puller, with my 17' F350 6.7 Stroke as a backup; the GC has 40k so far, with about 20 pulling the AS. Total winner over the giant pickup...mileage 18.6 versus 13, plenty of room, super easy parking....but, the mega truck wins hands down for boondocking, generator and gear hauling, and bro street cred.
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by modebacker View Post
Why can't Chevy build a Tahoe with about a 5 litre duramax and make it a serious towing SUV?
Because that lump of a drivetrain is something like 1500lbs fully dressed with tranny. Shoehorning that in a lighter weight vehicle would diminish useful cargo capacity.

Compared to most gasser drivetrains that would be less than half that weight.

Which is also why HD diesels steam ahead so resolutely on the open road. Just don't expect great braking or turning performance for the same reason.
pteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I vote for a trailblazer (the real one with a frame, not the stupid unibody one) with an inline six cylinder diesel, mounted the correct way, and four wheel drive. It’s like a Grand Cherokee only better. My gas version is a great daily driver and gets over 20 mpg. The diesel version could get 30 with the right engine. Hmmmm maybe I’ll convert mine if that gas engine ever wears out.

The only thing I’d like more than that for towing a small trailer (19’ or 22’) would be the above, with a manual trans.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote