Old 02-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Tow Vehicle Brake Upgrades

Considering break upgrades on my 2005 Excursion:

Does anybody have experience with an upgrade such as this? I have always felt the brakes could use some improvement. I don't know if this would help or if it's more of a gimmick since they are a nice red color. I don't care what they look like, I just want the best for the big hills...

Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB International
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
You may want to edit he title. Brakes are for stoping. Breaks are what happens after they don't work.

If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Ran those on my Corvette. They're not really super premium, that would be a brand like Brembo. Early on those particular rotors were prone to cracking and warping. But they may have improved their product line.

Frankly, I'd stick with HAWK pads.
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Looks like the Brembo are the real deal, I don't know if they have a kit for the Excursion.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
You may want to edit he title. Brakes are for stoping. Breaks are what happens after they don't work.
Sorry about that. I was too busy fixing the other typos Apple autocorrect creates and I missed that one because it was an actual word.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #6

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
A questionable Import....

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
A questionable Import....

Yeah but I spent New Year's Day replacing a Detroit brake caliper...
Old 02-12-2016, 11:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Ted - A pad upgrade that is not too wild is often a performance improvement that can be implemented at a reasonable cost. You might contact Hawke and see what they recommend.

If your rotors are warping an improved design would help. But you do not seem to be screaming about a specific problem and sound like you are just want to improve performance.

The solution that comes to mind is a set of brakes from a high performance application. At one time, the Cobra Mustang had a production package that was a nice upgrade from stock, but they may not be large enough for your Excursion.

Brake maintenance can be quite helpful in keeping the system in good operating condition. Replacement of fluid keeps the moisture out and reduces the potential of boiling. Replacing rubber brake hoses with SST braided lines maintains a consistent volume and is a good upgrade to achieve a firm peddle.

Given you are using the vehicle in a towing application, upgrading the trailer brakes to disks might be worth considering. There is a bit of consternation about what makes a good trailer system, so it's likely not a slam dunk.

Will be interested in what you ultimately find to be an effective solution. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I use Raybestos Ceramic pads. Slight improvement at reasonable cost.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
Tom T
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
I agree about looking at Porterfield R4S street/racing pads first (or one of the recco's above), then move on to high performance racing fluid which will resist hi-temps/fade, then SS lines - before your "Break" the bank with "Brake" upgrades.

Contact owner Eric Shea at the link below & ask him if he can get the Porterfield R4S pads for your Truck - since they can do pads (& shoes) for just about any vehicle. Tell him Tom T in Orange CA from 914world recco'd you when you call or email him.

He got me Porterfield R4S pads & shoes for our `88 VW Westfalia - which are notoriously underbraked at 4800+ lbs wet & loaded with only modest front discs & rear drums, & they did improve it's braking noticably. On the Westy the tend to be a bit noisier than some other pads - but that's always a problem on VW Vanagons anyway, & they're a bit dusty (the R4S are a Kevlar compound IIRC).

I'll also put the R4S pads on all 4 discs of my 85 325e when it needs pads next, & on my 914 when it's resto is done, & probably on our soon to be Cayenne S whenever it needs them too. Great pads!

Tom T (janabanana48's other half )
Orange CA
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
If your trailer doesn't brake itself, fixing that is where I would start spending money.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Ford trucks rotors are prone to overheating and warping. I replaced my rotors with aftermarket drilled and vented units and upgraded the pads. Ceramic pads are great on the track, but not my first choice for a TV. There are a lot of sources out there for brake components. Baer and Wilwood would be a good place to start.
If you don't go first class, your heirs will!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #13
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Tow Vehicle Break Upgrades

I got over 100K miles out of my factory pads, am I missing something where factory brakes on some vehicles suck?

The only thing that freaks me out about modern brakes is the antilock part. There have been a couple a few occasions where I really needed the wheels to lock....

It is a helpless feeling when the brakes are rendered totally useless.

Brevi tempore!
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
Mono City , California
You state in your post that you want the best for the Big Hills! One concideration would be to install an exhaust brake on your TV, that would help reduce the load on the TV and trailer brakes on those Big Hills! Would add to the life and safety of the TV and Trailer brakes. In 2012 I made a 10,000 mile trip from west coast to great lakes area, upon returning home I checked the brake adjustment on my trailer, 2 clicks and they were adjusted, I feel the exhaust brake on my TV was the reason. Compression and exhaust brakes have been used on commercial trucks for many years, adding many miles to the life of the foundation brakes
and vehicle safety.
Something you could look into.
Good Luck with your braking issue.

TBSarfari28 is offline   Reply With Quote