Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2005, 03:30 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Man
I tow a 1975 25' AS with my 2000 Chevy 1500 / 5.3 litre V8 (factory equipped tow package) According to the manual I am well within my weight limits. There are certainly times when I wouldn't mind having a stronger truck but most times it performs perfectly. I get 10mpg when towing the airstream and 19mpg when I'm not towing. I had been considering upgrading to a different tow vehicle but with gas prices the way they are I think I'll stay with my current setup.

Anyone else tow with a 1/2 ton? I sense that most are running 3/4 ton or bigger...
i
T MAn-- I tow a 05/25' classic with a a Nissan Titan. While not rated as the big three do I would concider it a heavy half at best. Personally I find this more than adequate. Under ideal conditions towing 60-62mph I get 12-13 mpg. Higher speeds, wind, hills,etc 10 mpg. It will cruise at 70 plus but I choose to drive slower for mileage and safty reasons. Non towing hwy mpg is 16-18mpg. Would a Diesel work better? Of course and I would love to have one but my budget won't allow it. The Titan fits both my towing needs and budget.------ Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:07 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Tow Vehicle

Mike---I too tow our AS with a 1/2 ton truck. We have an F-150 Supercrew with an 5.4 liter engine. With our distribution bars properly adjusted, there is a subtle 'bounce' when the towing combination finds those big dips in the highway. We're getting the same type of mileage as the rest of the posters and the truck still fits in our budget.

PS. Have you looked at the cost of a new 3/4 or 1 ton truck? Ouch.

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:40 AM   #83
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In the end, a 25' unit can be towed with a 1/2 ton. A 3/4 ton would be better, but it can be done. I haven't looked at the 1/2 ton ratings in a while, but say if they were about 7500lbs I'd feel OK with it. Of course as Pieman states a diesel has more power (and more cost), but it does get better fuel econ. To be honest, few gassers will get awesome gas mileage towing be it a 5.4L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 7.4L or 8.1L. I've read and found folks getting between 10 and 12mpg. One time I got 12.9mpg towing the Safari with our 6.0L.

Of course, if you're towing a 19' Bambi like the thread starter does, a 1/2 would do the trick without question. IMHO, once you start to get north of 22', you start to fade out of 1/2 ton and start to fade into 3/4 ton. Depending on vintage, what you carry, options, number of passengers, etc, the 25' begins to see areas where a 1/2 might and a 3/4 will.

Personally, I don't think I'd tow a 31' coach with a 1/2 ton, that's just me, I'm sure others would agree and disagree. The cost of new trucks are about $10,000 off where it was a bit over a year ago. There has never been a better time to look at tow vehicles (from the big three), that goes for diesels too. But if it's not in the budget, it's just not in the budget.... but it is a safer bet once you get into the larger coaches.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:04 AM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
I agree with Silvertwinkie's towing assessment and his view of the TV market.

Diesel pickup's are more affordable than they were a year ago, with an extended cab GM duramax pickup available for less than $30k. So if you want that safety margin of the 3/4 ton diesel, now may be the time to go for it.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:03 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

Crazylev,

Got the underpowered (for my AS) 5.3L in a Suburban with a 28W -- we manage OK hereabouts. If you are in a hurry (>60MPH), it is not the thang for you...

My stepson has the same thing (5.3L) in a Tahoe, and I could (next time he is in town) hitch it up and see what it is like towing the 28W. Not sure if he will be back soon, though. I remember a line from that classic movie "I am not sure if I was pulling it, or it was pushing me." The Suburban handles the uneven pavement, crosswinds, and close quarters with 18-wheelers in constructions zones without too many scary moments. Overinflating the rear tires a bit has help reduce sway to nearly zero, when it was pretty small before...

Is there anything from the 70's that you can put a modern engine and tranny into that could meet your requirements?
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #86

1991 34' Limited
Woodslee , Ontario
A Durango is an excellent vechile. My 02 pulled our old 28' International and can pull our new 34' Limited. Another suggestion, not quite practical for parking in the city but an excellent truck is the RAM 1500 Mega Cab w/ Hemi. Very practical for towing when taking the entire family- tonnes of room and very comfortable.
MDRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRS
A Durango is an excellent vechile. My 02 pulled our old 28' International and can pull our new 34' Limited. Another suggestion, not quite practical for parking in the city but an excellent truck is the RAM 1500 Mega Cab w/ Hemi. Very practical for towing when taking the entire family- tonnes of room and very comfortable.
What kind of engine do you have in the Durango and what do you get for mileage pulling the 28' vs. the 34?