Old 03-10-2004, 10:16 PM   #43
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
According to the Chevy website, currently, select models of crew cab 2500HDs **appear** to have the quadrasteer option. Found that info here:

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/quadrasteer.htm

Can't see why they only have it on select models...I mean if you go the $$, why not, all the 1500s share similar platforms, as do the 2500s right?

BTW, didn't I read somewhere that the piston slap sounds are now gone on the GM gassers due to redesign of the piston or something?

Old 03-11-2004, 10:00 AM   #44
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I just want to thank everyone for contributing to this thread.

Now indulge me...I have probably the dumbest question in the world, so don't laugh loud enough for me to hear in Chicago. This will also give you a good clue as to my cluelessness about SUV, trucks, and so on

What is the difference between a vehicle that is a GMC and a Chevy? I know Chevy is made by GM, but why are some of their vehicles designated with the GMC "brand" only?

OK. I am running for cover.....

You can even PM me if you are to embarresed to grace this with an answer

Jonathan

Old 03-11-2004, 10:27 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
i believe orginally the"jimmy" or gmc was made by the truck division, and the smaller trucks and vans were made by the car division...anyway thats my 2 cents
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:55 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Don't worry Crazyluv,

You will learn fast around here! GMC and Chevy trucks use to be identical. But a few years ago, GM changed the styling of both. The Silverado has the Avalanch stlye and GMC is suppose to look more "professional." It is personal preference, underneith they are the same truck.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:07 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Twink,

That was interesting that GM is offering QS on the 2500HD Crew Cab. But it is only offered with the Vortec 6000. I can't wait for it to be offered with the Vortec 8100 or Duramax 2500HC Crew Cab with Allison tranny. That will be my next truck!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:05 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
GMC and Chevy

It is all body cosmetic, some add-ons and marketing. They are essentially the same trucks otherwise although they are starting to differentiate. Chevy has the Avalanche it shares with Cadillac and GMC Envoy now has the sliding roof that is not available on the Trailblazer.

They used to both share the Surburban name but GMC adopted the Yukon XT name.

Envoy = Trailblazer
Yukon = Tahoe
Sierra = Silverado
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:11 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tow vehicle advice needed....

Greetings Jonathan!

While the Chevrolet and GMC versions of the Suburban/Yukon XL, and Tahoe/Yukon travel down the same assembly line and are virtually identical, there are often minor differences beside just those related to appearance/styling. There is often equipment that may be standard on the GMC while optional on the Chevrolet version (or just the reverse). There have also been some instances where a piece of optional equipment may be available on one line but not the other.

After touring the Janesville plant three times, it is clear how easy it could be to install a steering wheel with a Chevy badge on a GMC (or the reverse). My GMC G20 van (1983) actually came with a Chevrolet steering wheel.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:39 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
hey kevin can you set me straight....what decade are we talking about....i think marketing has changed... but eons ago 3/4 and up got the gmc label and 1/2 tons were suburbans....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 03-11-2004, 04:39 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
hey kevin can you set me straight....what decade are we talking about....i think marketing has changed... but eons ago 3/4 and up got the gmc label and 1/2 tons were suburbans....
norby

Old 03-11-2004, 05:58 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tow vehicle advice needed....

Greetings Norby!

Quote:
what decade are we talking about....i think marketing has changed... but eons ago 3/4 and up got the gmc label and 1/2 tons were suburbans....
Some of the changes started in '95 in regard to naming. Prior to '95, there was the K5 Blazer (the two-door little brother of the Suburban) - - in '95 this became the Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon K1500; and it was also made available on the slightly-streched wheelbase as a four-door as well. During this time (and for quite some time before), the Suburban could be had either as Chevrolet or GMC in either C/K1500 or C/K2500 versions. Beginning with the 2000 model year, the Suburban becam Chevrolet's version of the big SUV while GMC called their version Yukon XL - - again each was available as either C/K1500 or C/K2500.

I know that my family has had Suburbans for a number of years. The first Airstream tow vehicle was a '69 owned by one of my cousins - - a Chevrolet C20 model used to pull their 1970 Airstream Soverign. My uncle had one dating back to 1964 that was a Chevrolet C20 version that he used as a parts chaser in his farm implement business.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 06:36 PM   #53
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
cat

hey

i hear catapillar is coming out with a new tow vehicle!

it should be able to tow anything except an aircraft carrier!

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big_trucks_rule.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	5170  
Old 03-11-2004, 06:48 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
John --a friend of mine that was a mine supt had that very thing happen, (except it was just a pick-up) at the mine up north. The guy driving the Hulk never even knew what happen. You can only relate to the size by standing beside one. When they say monster truck that's what they mean.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 06:51 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Kirkwood , Missouri
Angry Duramax Suburban

For those of us waiting for the duramax suburban, we will be waiting for the suburban to be redesigned. The current front end used is three inches to short to fit duramax. Could happen in 2005 or 2006. Seems like for ever...
airstreamer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 08:07 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Always

Norbert,

The Suburban started as a Chevy brand way back in the 30s. GMC was created as a shared truck platform for the rest of the GM nameplates (usually Pontiac, sometims Olds, Buick) to sell trucks in adjunct. The GMC brands were basically rebadged Chevys with very little other distinction than sheetmetal and grille differences. They generally could be had with the same engines and setups (1/2 or 3/4 ton). Up until the most recent body style change both Chevy and GMC called their big SUV the Suburban because there was so little difference.

In my college student years in the early 60s I worked in the Chevrolet Truck Body stamping plant in Indianapolis.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote