Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #1

Chicago , Illinois
Tow Vehicle advice

Folks,

Tons of great information on this forum. Extremely helpful.

My wife and I have been talking about getting an Airstream forever.

Well, enough talk. The time is here, we're doing it!

And you know what that means? A bunch of questions you've all heard before. Don't worry, I've done a lot of reading on the boards already, so I'll try to avoid being that guy who doesn't search at all before asking.

We're debating on getting a 25 or 27, the International Sterling is the front runner.

None of our cars are big enough/ are suitable for hauling a trailer, so we have to buy a tow vehicle

I have access to a newer F150 through one of my companies. I bring it home every once in a while to haul stuff. I have to be honest with you, it doesn't handle well and is not very comfortable. (It's a 2012 FX4 V8). And if we got a pick up truck, it would never be used when we're at home, so a big waste. So if I can avoid getting a pick up truck to haul the Airstream, great. But if you folks with experience think we need one, I'd love to get a recommendation what the best one is as my only experience is with this particular F150.

But I see that some forum members use X5, ML, RDX, Cayenne and Touareg. All of them are fine vehicles, some even have Diesel now for better torque and mpg. But I feel I need a little more room in the trunk than what these cars offer.

So I've narrowed it down to the following vehicles

The GL -- I've owned an ML before and the quality was questionable. I was glad the day we traded it in, so one of those cars. But things improve and we could have been unlucky with that particular vehicle. What engine would you guys recommend? They have the GL350 diesel, the GL450 with a smaller V8, the GL550 with the same cylinder volume V8, but about 65 more horses and better torque and the GL63 AMG with 550 ponies. All of them have the same towing capacity. Which one would you recommend?

--

The 2014 Range Rover. It has a V8 5.0 and a supercharged V8 5.0, both has the same towing capacity. They seem to be offering a good towing package with transmission cooling etc. and some good advice on their website. I have read some threads here that the Sport is not a good option, but that thread was from 2008. The supercharged V6 is not an option, I understand that. How do you feel about this truck?

--

The Q7. We're big Audi people. We've got two in our garage, an S6 and a Q5, both fantastic cars. But the Q7 is not very good looking and I haven't found anyone in there that uses it as a towing vehicle, there must be a reason why.

--

Ford Expedition. The only big American truck I have driven that handles well. We've rented an Expedition a couple of times the last few months and it was actually OK, much better than a Suburban or Tahoe. What are your thoughts on that?

--

Any other vehicles I have overlooked?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences and giving us advice.
tommy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Just went through that exercise.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...3d-120003.html
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #3

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Thanks. Did you look into the GL at all?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I did not. We traded a minivan to get the truck. My wife hated the minivan (I loved it). She would have thought the GL was too much like a minivan so I never considered it much.

From what I've seen I believe it does have a greater weight capacity than the ML. The ML that I seriously looked at was low. Under 1000 lbs low.

Please do keep in mind that I've never even towed an Airstream yet. But I do think I have my senses in the right place...
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #5

Chicago , Illinois
Anyone else? Appreciate the help
Old 06-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
For about 10 years I towed AS, SOB, boats, rubbish trailers, et al with an 02 Suburban Z-71. Can truly state that it was my favorite vehicle. It was starting to wear our one bearing at a time at about 175K miles, and now I'm running a short bed version - Tahoe Z-71. Don't like it quite as well, short wheelbase doesn't give as good a ride. Maybe the 22 ft AS will damp it out some.

You seem pleased with Expedition. Why go farther? My basic rule is 50% extra towing capacity above trailer weight - leaves plenty of extra suds for when the unexpected becomes reality.

I've had pick-em-up trucks forever, but prefer an SUV for trailer service because the interior is just that, and not super compartmentalized. Primary objection is packing fuel cans and propane bottles, they should stay outdoors.

Install a front receiver hitch for a couple of reasons - one it will be a good place to hang bicycles, and second - it makes for exceptional maneuverability of the trailer into tight storage spaces. Not generally needed, but when it is, you could put the trailer in the hall closet if the door were wide enough.

Stay away from Range Rover - they're fine by themselves, but not up to trailer service..

I see you'r on the air now, Tommy. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you a phone number and cut directly to the chase. Best of luck. jim
jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

You remind me of myself and sound like a car guy. I sold my S4 back in 2012 after I got tired of wonderful German over-engineering. If I was down with car payments I'd go for the GL350 diesel personally. As awesome as the AMG is, I bet the GL65 would perform worse as a tow vehicle. The springs and shocks are going to be softer and setup more for sport. Yes, More Power in the words of Jeremy Clarkson but probably less payload.

Land Rover the most unreliable truck in the world. And you know what, doesn't matter. Walk into a dealership and there is a waiting list. If you're a fan of Top Gear UK, you'd know better.

Trucks however don't handle like cars, nor do SUV's although some better than others. I've been a long time GM guy. And we are shopping for very near identical trailers. And a TV right now. GM disappoints me, and I have been considering Ford long and hard, but the F-150 handles like a boat, IMO. Just feels squirrelly.

So I actually did what I thought I wouldn't and checked out a Dodge Ram, and after driving one for a weekend, I was convinced, truck all the way.

I should mention, we're car & SUV people. I've never owned a truck. But I am convinced this will be the option for us.

Good luck with your decision. I know it's not an easy one.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
FWIW the Cayenne is nothing short of a badge engineered Touareg at its finest. And lots of folks singing the praises of the Touareg.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I tow a 27FB with a Ford Expedition. I've weighed the rig at Cat Scales loaded for camping and full or water. It all comes in just under spec. The new Expedition's are selling with the ecoboost engine, which have a lot more HP and torque than my 11 year old V8. Unlike pickups it has independent rear suspension which makes for better handling. The kayaks go on top of the SUV and bikes rear of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404102980258.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	215213  
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Garden Grove , California
i tow my 25' Flying Cloud with a 2011 Ford F250 and i wouldn't have anything else. A truck will never ride like a car, it's not intended to. With the 250's 6.2 v8 i never have to even think about not having enough power for uphill mountain roads, or anything else. Just my opinion
Old 06-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
As you know and you will find out everyone has an opinion - mine is truck all the way. I have an F250 Diesel to tow a 30' Flying Cloud. Changed to 16" wheels, have Sat dish on and on. Also, everything I own is always for sale, always.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Be sure that whatever you select can handle the tongue load prior to engaging your wdh. The local VW dealer wasn't sure that they would cover any potential damage under warranty on a Touareg.

Some folks will tell you that an SUV is an adequate TV; we all have an opinion on that. LSA are not used in military operations now are they? Vehicles are purpose designed - few are all purpose.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Black Diamond , Washington
I use a 2012 E-350 Econoline passenger van. Not the sexiest vehicle on the road but it does the job extremely well. If you can find a diesel version of it, then it would be even better. Plenty of room for all your stuff as well as kiddos (or grand-kiddos). Have fun with your soon to be new purchase!!
mariusg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
For years I towed our 20' with an ML500 and loved it.

Now I tow our 25' with a Dodge Durango Hemi, which also works very well for us. It's the same platform as the GL but I saved a pile on the purchase and I can get an oil filter for $5.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
As you know and you will find out everyone has an opinion - mine is truck all the way. I have an F250 Diesel to tow a 30' Flying Cloud. Changed to 16" wheels, have Sat dish on and on. Also, everything I own is always for sale, always.
How much for Alice and the Lab?

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Nova Scotia
I have a 68 Trade Wind. Only weighs about 4000 lbs., 400 lbs. tongue weight. Was towing with our 06 Saab 97X, basically a rebadged Chevy Trailblazer, with a V8 327 5.3l. Towed it no problem, barely knew it was there. But hard on fuel and the typical GM quality and maintenance issues. Just bought a GL 320. Liking it so far, Diesel engine has a ton of torque. Hopefully we don't run into the MB maintenance issues some people are talking about... Looked at everything that could possibly tow the Airstream, and I like the GL because it gets the best fuel economy hands down of all SUVs and trucks that could tow the trailer. And if you are thinking about a vehicle for all year round not just for the few camping trips a year with the Airstream, that makes a lot of sense.
mpovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Had a 2007 Mercedes ML 320 CDI diesel when we bought our first trailer, a 2013 25FB International Serenity in October of 2012. After installing the Hensley hitch head (the dealer had already installed the 150 watt solar panel and street side and rear awnings) the tongue weight was 1,150 pounds on the Shureline scale. Towing the 25FB home through the Rockies on I-10 from Los Angeles to Phoenix was fine since it was empty. The CAT scales reported we were within the numbers.

Once loaded for camping, the tongue weight increased to 1,175 pounds, my wife and I were in the car and we had some minor gear in the ML. The Cat scales reported some over weight numbers on the front axle and GVW was exceeded.

The Mercedes was immediately retired from the towing experiment and we acquired a new 2012 Dodge Ram 2500HD diesel 4x4. When we upgraded to the Classic, fully loaded we are significantly below any maximum numbers on the CAT scales even with a 1,345 pound tongue weight.

I replaced the factory hitch with a Curt 15049 rated for 2,550 pounds of tongue weight with the added benefit of having a 4" lower receiver opening. The Kelderman level ride air suspension system replaced all the steel springs. Our weak link in the weight capacity are the axle ratings as the original factory installed Michelin tires have greater capacity than the axle ratings.

We crossed the CAT scales at 18,860 pounds and 10,500 pounds were on the truck axles with still excess capacity.

One needs to do the numbers homework as wishful thinking will not do the job safely.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Nova Scotia
I think your trailer must be a heck of a lot heavier than mine is. GL is a bigger vehicle than an ML as well - Durango platform, with a real truck frame underneath. Even fully loaded my Tradewind has never exceeded 6000 lbs.
mpovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Although you may not like a truck, it does give you the most payload/towing power. If you are buying a heavy trailer, you need the vehicle to tow it. I test drove used trucks. Never owned a truck always had a sports sedan or, in the last car, TDI sportwagen. I have gone to full time F150 and I find it very roomy, quiet and comfortable. It is NOT a fast handling vehicle by any means but, I did not find the Ford any worse than the other trucks I test drove. At the time, shopping used, the '09 Ford had the best overall towing mechanism- all worked together and, the others did not have that. Ask questions about that too in these other vehicles intelligent braking system balance of wheel correction, etc. I believe all the trucks have this now. There is a great you tube video showing who has what but that was in '09 model year. Check out those differences though in the model year you look at buying. Here is the '09 example:

Go look at a King Ranch ecoboost with max tow package. (you don't have to have the max probably but it will give you the faster rear end/lower fuel mileage) Think Lincoln on steroids. Plus, a truck gives you a huge storage space. By the book the 25 or 27 have a tongue weight of 800-900 lbs. Is the payload of the Mercedes 1300 or am I thinking the Touareg? Anyway, whatever it is is minus that left for you two and whatever you put in the SUV.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Classic alone scales around 9,100 pounds loaded with all the "necessary" stuff my wife thinks we might need.......

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote