Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I agree with what Rednax said about a clean sheet of paper. Consider ever thing.

If you still want a truck, I can recommend the Tundra. When I bought mine in 2008 it was the best of the bunch hands down. Now ever body has lots of power, a 6 speed tranny and 18" wheels with big brakes. If I were buying new now, I would still take a good look at the Tundra along with the other trucks, both 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The Tundra has a great motor (5.7L), a great 6 speed tranny (get the floor shift), the most cab space coupled with a 6.5 ft bed, a good turning radius, rides well, is very quiet and seems to be very reliable. I have 43k on mine and have only replaced the radio under warranty. Whatever you buy, it should last you for the next 10-12 years. Good luck.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I forgot to mention that I get 13.5 mpg towing my 66 TW gently and I have 2wd.

It also works very well driving it solo except for being HUGE just like all the other trucks.

I also only paid 25k out the door in 2008 after a 5k rebate; My truck is very well equipped. It really has everything except for leather and navigation.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Originally Posted by urnmor
First and foremost let me say thank you for all of the various posts regarding TVs. I have read most of them and I must say purchasing a TV for an AS is much more complicated then buying a car for transportation. Should it be gas or diesel, 4X4 etc.

My goal is to have a safe vehicle for my 2 to 3 passengers, others on the road and of course myself. I am not so much concern about the legal restrictions because I assume if my vehicle is safe I will be legal.

That said I have a 2012 25' FC with solar. I pull it with my 2007 1500 Yukon 4wd with a 5.3 liter V8 engine and a 3.73 ratio rear axle and a locking rear differential and skid plate package . It also has the tow/haul mode. It currently has a 122K miles. I bought new and all maintenance has been done by the dealer.

The question I have: Is this sufficient to pull our AS or do I need to go to a 3/4 Ton? I pull along the coast and also to western MD. Next I plan to pull to TX and to Alaska. I normally carry a Honda 2000, sometimes two, my bike chairs, grill, air pressure machine, some tools etc.

I intend to pull for another 10 to 12 years at which time I will be 80. Maybe longer.

I am also GM/Ford fan. Not really a Dodge fan but for the right price might consider it. I have never owned a diesel and am concern about the price. I also want this vehicle to last 10 to 12 years.

I know this is a lot of info about me however I thought it would be the best way to get the best specific advice on a new TV for in my position.

Again thanks

John and Claire
I suppose I'm not clear what motivates you to want another TV. More background my be in order. How long hove you been towing this trailer with this vehicle? Do you find that you have enough room for your gear and people? I'm biased toward the suburban, as that is what I have, and I'm of the mind set that when you start adding passengers, you are going to miss that third row seat.

Have you experienced issues towing with this vehicle to other locations? Seems to me that the current vehicle that you own should be capable. Other than upgrading to get more cargo capacity (GVW) or more towing power (torque/horse power) you should be good with the Yukon... Unless there is more to this story, and the Yukon is damaged, or doesn't run well or something.

Red also had a great idea with a full sized van. I haven't seen too many pickup trucks that I'd want to sit in the backseat of with 3 other people.

Did you want fries with that?
Uzzah is offline   Reply With Quote