Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Used to use a Chev G2500 till I figured out what a serious POS Chev builds.
Now I have a wonderful Cummins powered 4x4 it is a real treat to go up mountain passes in overdrive. Still got to shift down on the down hill to get some engine braking. The Cummins burns less fuel towing the AS than the Chev used running unloaded. I think 4x4 is a disadvantage for towing, the C of G is to high so the Chev setup felt more stable in the twisty sections.
hadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I'm wanting to pull a 25' with a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan V6, using an equalizing hitch. Just the two of us.

Am I crazy?

ps: don't worry, at this point we have no near-term plans to visit the Grand Tetons.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
I'm wanting to pull a 25' with a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan V6, using an equalizing hitch. Just the two of us.

Am I crazy?

ps: don't worry, at this point we have no near-term plans to visit the Grand Tetons.
Don't know if you are crazy, but I wouldn't do it. I'm sure the van would pull it down a level road at some moderate speed, but I don't think it would be safe, and I know I wouldn't be satisfied with it.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:49 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
Don't know if you are crazy, but I wouldn't do it. I'm sure the van would pull it down a level road at some moderate speed, but I don't think it would be safe, and I know I wouldn't be satisfied with it.
I can not tell you how many times I have seen a Canadian plate, mini van, and a big trailer. You guys can make a great whiskey and turn so -so vehicles into 3/4 ton trucks. I am impressed indeed.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage

Am I crazy?

I think they are only rated to tow 1000#'s. They don't even have a frame to bolt a reciever onto. I think you are asking for trouble.
Ya, you'll hear stories about someone towing a 34ft. tri axle with a Volkswagon bug but it's not safe no matter what they tell you. Your 25ft. is too heavy for the Caravan. Please don't do it.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley
I think they are only rated to tow 1000#'s. They don't even have a frame to bolt a reciever onto.
I have never heard of any Mini Van built in the last 25 years that was rated that low. Where did you get the 1,000lb number from???

This is the very heavy duty, flex free receiver that was used on our Mini Van. It uses 6 bolts as well as mig welded contact points.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Amen...

i sized my tv based upon worst case senarios... Donna has learned to accept that i have backup plans for my backup plans. having a TV that can safely & reliably get you to the bottom of a two mile 6% grade without operational trailer brakes is my minimum standard. hence a 3/4 ton.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
The Trailer Life RV magazine annual towing guide says right up front that the best tow vehicle for a travel trailer is a pickup truck. That said, being reasonable, and running the numbers for weights & llengths, can lead you to a solid towing solution using something other than a pickup. The wisdom of this group will always offer a range of viewpoints whenever you get into a "questionable" combination.

And a truck-based medium-sized SUV can do a fine job with the right-sized trailer and a good anti-sway setup

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
I have never heard of any Mini Van built in the last 25 years that was rated that low. Where did you get the 1,000lb number from???

This is the very heavy duty, flex free receiver that was used on our Mini Van. It uses 6 bolts as well as mig welded contact points.

Road Ruler,

I don't think folks here are questioning the integrity of the hitch, it's what the hitch is bolted too.....
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
Road Ruler,

I don't think folks here are questioning the integrity of the hitch, it's what the hitch is bolted too.....
Having questions is a good thing.

When done right there is no issue with working with uni-bodied vehicles with respect with hitch design and installation.

On the other hand there is evidence of improper applications not working well. Have you ever reserched how many weak GM factory receivers have cracked, broken, or fallen off GM full framed vehicles?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler

Just for sake of agrument, lets say 2000# or 3000# tow limit. The guy with the 25 footer weighs in over that empty without passengers or gear or anything else. The front wheel drive mini van would not be a safe vehicle period, towing a 25 footer. Ask Dodge about it if you still feel this way and let us know what they say.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Back to original thread

I traded a Suburban gasser for my 2500 Chevy P/U. Both were nice tow vehicles.

However, Murphy's Law has me firmly in it's grasp whenever it's time for me to move the trailer. 9 times out of 10 when I switch campgrounds or go out on an adventure - it starts pouring as I back the truck up to the Airstream.

Yep, it SURE DOES make more sense to throw muddy chairs, chock blocks, etc. into the bed of the truck.

Paula
Old 05-24-2008, 09:24 PM   #33
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsena-j
We do not have a lot of experience wit the AS. Only had it for one year. We tow with a Jeep Cherokee 3.0diesel plenty of pull and good millage performance. It tows very well. When we bought the AS the dealer had great video and also had real demo with various vehicules for the AS. It is clear that one thing that made a big diference on the road was the Hensley hitch. Somewhat expensive but worth the money.
Was that Can-Am? They seem like a great group, only wish they were a bit closer...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote