Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Longer wheelbase is helpful; increases yaw stability. BUT a bigger issue may be ratio between wheelbase and distance between rear axle and hitch ball.

I've towed various trialers with Suburban and now with Pickup. Both tow fine, but pickup is easier to throw stuff into back of ... like firewood, piles of chairs, generator, tools, etc. that I don't want to spend a lot of time organizing, and that I don't want flying around inside the vehicle in case of a crash or really bad road experience.

Be careful about tow capacity. There's much debate about half ton vs. three quarter. But if you start to add tongue weight, a few adults, a few dozen gallons of fuel, a generator, maybe some firewood, tools, chairs, fill the AS with clothes, blankets, pantry full of canned goods, 300+ pounds of water, yadda, yadda, yadda, and want a 20% or so margin of safethy, then pretty soon a three quarter machine looks pretty good. 'course, it doesn't ride so good unloaded, either.

And as one guy remarked to me, "On flat terrain, you can tow an Airstream with anything. But in the mountains, can you easily get up to the pass, and then coming down comes the real question: can you stop it?" That's partly an issue of tailer brakes (assuming no failures!) but take a little time and compare caliper and rotor sizes. Could save your bacon one day. Probably not. Your bet, your result.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
To each his own but when towing I put the dirty shore power cord and hoses and wheel chocks and spare gas and floor mats and dirty clothes in the bed of the truck. An suv would be real beat up/smelly with that in the back. Food for thought.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Midhurst , Ontario
I'll add my bit to this thread..... We had a 2003 Montana Van when we bought our 25' AS and it towed it but like someone else said, when you're in the hills it overworked it even in drive 3 or 2. We could never drive more than 50 or 55 mph as it worked too hard. Destroyed a fuel pump the second season and had it replaced (under warranty). So we upgraded to a Chevy Avalanche and we love it. Tows great and lots of room for the one member of our family that accompanies us....Montana, our dog. And it is handy to have the box to transport extra needed items....including a "honey wagon" that we use for gray water since the 74 AS doesn't have a gray water tank.

And I too really love our truck, the way it drives, the sound of power, etc, etc. It just feels good!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream
Longer wheelbase is helpful; increases yaw stability. BUT a bigger issue may be ratio between wheelbase and distance between rear axle and hitch ball.

I've towed various trialers with Suburban and now with Pickup. Both tow fine, but pickup is easier to throw stuff into back of ... like firewood, piles of chairs, generator, tools, etc. that I don't want to spend a lot of time organizing, and that I don't want flying around inside the vehicle in case of a crash or really bad road experience.

Be careful about tow capacity. There's much debate about half ton vs. three quarter. But if you start to add tongue weight, a few adults, a few dozen gallons of fuel, a generator, maybe some firewood, tools, chairs, fill the AS with clothes, blankets, pantry full of canned goods, 300+ pounds of water, yadda, yadda, yadda, and want a 20% or so margin of safethy, then pretty soon a three quarter machine looks pretty good. 'course, it doesn't ride so good unloaded, either.

And as one guy remarked to me, "On flat terrain, you can tow an Airstream with anything. But in the mountains, can you easily get up to the pass, and then coming down comes the real question: can you stop it?" That's partly an issue of tailer brakes (assuming no failures!) but take a little time and compare caliper and rotor sizes. Could save your bacon one day. Probably not. Your bet, your result.

X2
Old 05-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
We used a Chev Z71 for the first tow and it was just OK, nothing special, and not our cup of tea.

Then on the recommendation of Andy from Can Am we tried our 1993 Nissan Quest Mini Van. Wow, did it work great. Very stable with the 23 in tow and the versatility was just what we wanted. It has a payload capacity of 1,435lbs and we removed the rear seat so we could transport the mountain bikes. When not towing the van was also used as a work vehicle and transported my Ransome bobcat 48" walk behind (inside the van) to my customer sites. Last week the Quest turned over 435,000LKM ( 261,000miles ) and we had used the vehicle to tow with for over 10 years. Unfortunately a few days ago it was broadsided by a lady "looking south, but driving north"! The appraiser wrote it of this AM. It still had the original problem free tranny and the engine that still worked well with minimal oil consumption. It averaged 16MPG towing and 25 solo (Canadian gals).
Old 05-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
Last week the Quest turned over 435,000LKM ( 261,000miles ) and we had used the vehicle to tow with for over 10 years. Unfortunately a few days ago it was broadsided by a lady "looking south, but driving north"! The appraiser wrote it of this AM.
Hats off in memory of the faithful Nissan Quest.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Used to use a Chev G2500 till I figured out what a serious POS Chev builds.
Now I have a wonderful Cummins powered 4x4 it is a real treat to go up mountain passes in overdrive. Still got to shift down on the down hill to get some engine braking. The Cummins burns less fuel towing the AS than the Chev used running unloaded. I think 4x4 is a disadvantage for towing, the C of G is to high so the Chev setup felt more stable in the twisty sections.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I'm wanting to pull a 25' with a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan V6, using an equalizing hitch. Just the two of us.

Am I crazy?

ps: don't worry, at this point we have no near-term plans to visit the Grand Tetons.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:03 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
I'm wanting to pull a 25' with a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan V6, using an equalizing hitch. Just the two of us.

Am I crazy?

ps: don't worry, at this point we have no near-term plans to visit the Grand Tetons.
Don't know if you are crazy, but I wouldn't do it. I'm sure the van would pull it down a level road at some moderate speed, but I don't think it would be safe, and I know I wouldn't be satisfied with it.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
Don't know if you are crazy, but I wouldn't do it. I'm sure the van would pull it down a level road at some moderate speed, but I don't think it would be safe, and I know I wouldn't be satisfied with it.
I can not tell you how many times I have seen a Canadian plate, mini van, and a big trailer. You guys can make a great whiskey and turn so -so vehicles into 3/4 ton trucks. I am impressed indeed.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage

Am I crazy?

I think they are only rated to tow 1000#'s. They don't even have a frame to bolt a reciever onto. I think you are asking for trouble.
Ya, you'll hear stories about someone towing a 34ft. tri axle with a Volkswagon bug but it's not safe no matter what they tell you. Your 25ft. is too heavy for the Caravan. Please don't do it.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley
I think they are only rated to tow 1000#'s. They don't even have a frame to bolt a reciever onto.
I have never heard of any Mini Van built in the last 25 years that was rated that low. Where did you get the 1,000lb number from???

This is the very heavy duty, flex free receiver that was used on our Mini Van. It uses 6 bolts as well as mig welded contact points.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Amen...

i sized my tv based upon worst case senarios... Donna has learned to accept that i have backup plans for my backup plans. having a TV that can safely & reliably get you to the bottom of a two mile 6% grade without operational trailer brakes is my minimum standard. hence a 3/4 ton.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
The Trailer Life RV magazine annual towing guide says right up front that the best tow vehicle for a travel trailer is a pickup truck. That said, being reasonable, and running the numbers for weights & llengths, can lead you to a solid towing solution using something other than a pickup. The wisdom of this group will always offer a range of viewpoints whenever you get into a "questionable" combination.

And a truck-based medium-sized SUV can do a fine job with the right-sized trailer and a good anti-sway setup