Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
All of FL is not flat. If one drives the heartland of FL, they might be surprised at some of the slopes along the Lake Wales Ridge. Though the hills are not high, the approach to them from the flat land can be fairly steep. Sufficient pull power and sufficient braking is required.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
I also like the suggestions on early late 90's-early 2000's GM with 5.3 engine and 3.73 rear end ratio and factory tow pkg (most have that). If you find one from the snow/salt belt be careful of rust on frame and elsewhere. Higher mileage usually ok with these. This vehicle would be available in Tahoe - pick up and suburban. Chevy or GMC. Do gas for your budget. And they are cheap for parts and maintenence. Should be comfortable with 6000 +- camper and good hitch. I have a diesel and love it but there is additional purchase and maintenence cost.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
1st,, there are no stupid questions with this bunch.. Most of them here,, might think they know everything but someone later on points them in a better direction..

Having a auto trans is not a big issue anymore as every company offers a solid auto trans for any size truck you wish..

I agree that any diesel is by far a better work horse than a gasser.. BUT,, what conditions will you be towing in,, flat plains or mountains? Makes a world of difference of what you might need.. The other fact is some of the larger diesels pull real well,, and if limited mountian use one can get by real well with a gasser..

I was a hard core diesel man,, but found for our use that the limited mountain time I am getting by just fine with a 5.4L gasser.. For me,, paying $20,000 less for a gasser over a diesel was my turning point,.. The first 2 years of having the gasser the price of diesel fuel was 70 cents higher so came out way ahead over all. Now that the price is about equal,, I am still happy with my limited macho TV.. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I would consider a 4WD suburban either 1/2 or 3/4 ton as a TV. If a 1/2 ton make sure the axle ratio is a good one for towing like a 3.73. 4 low in the transfer case is real handy if you have to back up a hill. As far as I know most automatic transmissions are geared higher in reverse than 1st and you can burn them up backing up a steep hill. And it's better to pull forward onto leveling blocks for the same reason. 3 cents worth
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote