Old 08-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
do you tow with the overdrive off or on?
Answer: It depends on the situation. By turning off "overdrive", you can compel the transmission not to upshift beyond 3rd. That's all there's to it.

You can see the "overdrive" button on the shifter at the upper right corner of the image.

Here's the shifter position for WJ Grand Cherokee: [Park - R - N - D - 2- 1]

[D] = (1st ~ upshift all the way to 5th)
[D with "overdrive" turned off] = (1st ~ upshift up to 3rd)
[2] = 1st, and upshift only to 2nd
[1] = 1st only

In some situation when the vehicle is traveling at some speed and the gas pedal is pressed on or let go off, the transmission may often hunt between the 3rd and 4th, or upshift and downshift unnecessarily, because the vehicle is not smart enough to know whether you're accelerating, pulling a trailer, climbing a hill, or about your next intended action.

I would turn off "overdrive" when climbing hills, or pulling a trailer, or pulling a trailer & climbing at the same time. You wouldn't want to the transmission to upshift too soon, just because you let go of the gas pedal momentarily.

However, there's nothing wrong with letting the vehicle to upshift to 4th or even 5th, when you're cruising with at highway speed with trailer on the flat prairie.

Generally, "overdrive" simply meant 4th during the days of 4-speed automatic. Nowadays with prevalence of 5 or 6-speed automatic, "overdrive" designation is not intuitive and is confusing. I think all recent cars and trucks equipped with 5 or 6-speed would allow the driver to sequentially select which gear to be in — i.e. +(plus) & - (minus) for upshift & downshift.

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
BTW, attention to the owners of 1999 & 2000 Jeeps Grand Cherokee with V8.

Its so-called 4-speed, (45RFE transmission) is physically and mechanically identical to 5-speed, (545RFE transmission) which were equipped WJ Grand Cherokee on 2001 onwards.

You can simply ask the dealership to reprogram the chip, to gain 5th. This is done officially at Jeep dealerships, and there's Technical Bulletin flyer on this.

It perplexes me why the manufacture would ship to the public vehicles with one of its gear disabled (better 0-60 mph acceleration figure for marketing reasons at the expense of fuel economy?)

45RFE/545RFE - Community Jeep Wiki

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 23' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Update on Jeep Grand Cherokee as TV

Originally Posted by bolerama View Post

We Haul our 2008 23ft CCD with our 2000 Jeep GC limited. It pulls it no problem at all. I do take it easy and watch the temperatures. We live in the prairies (it's not as flat as some think) so it doesn't get the workout that it would if I were in the mountains. I would not take it to the Rockies but i didn't want to drop 60 grand (CDN) for a diesel. We love our Jeep and it hasn't given us any grief (knock on wood).
We do have an equalizer hitch (a must) and it works great.
I do agree with the above comment about the mirrors. We are still looking for something better than our clip-ons.

Update to the comment above. After reading lots and readjusting the hitch (thanks to Andy T.'s article in Airstream Life), we took our 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 23 foot Airstream down to Yellowstone (from Saskatchewan). The Jeep handled the mountains just fine. We went through a major rain storm without difficulty. (We still haven't tried the Canadian Rockies.)

We now have McKesh mirrors. We can see around the Airstream well with them. A big improvement over our clip-on mirrors. We lost one clip-on down the highway last summer, so that necessitated the purchase of the McKesh mirrors.

Lisa and Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod"
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler" (

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
TAC- SK 23223
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote