Old 09-04-2002, 07:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Question tow cars

Does anyone have experience towing with a Buick Roadmaster or Cadillac Fleetwood? We have a 1952 Cruiser (24'), 3250# curb weight, and are considering one of these vehicles as an alternative to an SUV/ truck. Welcome your suggestions and ideas.
Cruiser

Old 09-24-2002, 06:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
The general consensus on the AirStreamForums is properly configured Truck/SUV's rig's for anything over 16'.

I don't think I have heard of anyone here reference using a car as their tow vehicle in any of their posts, even an older car.

Regards;
-Bobbywright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
These aren't designed to do this. Call a dealer and ask him what the towing capacity is. If they even know it is going to be extremely low. There has to be a sizeable market demand for the auto manufacturers to build an option like this. Trucks and SUVs have been the vehicle of choice for towing for the last 15 years.
I doubt if you even could find a hitch as there is not really a frame under them that would take this abuse. I would start looking for a truck.

John
Old 09-24-2002, 09:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
There are many folks who tow with the old vehicles that are involved in Tin Can Tourists...you may want to email someone with experience with alternate tow vehicles or join their e-mail list. Good luck finding the information you are looking for...

Shari
Old 09-24-2002, 09:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
If you can find a mid 1960's model in good condition, go for it. In the late 60's and early 70's, emissions controls were crude and really hurt performance. In the mid-late 70's, after the fuel crisis, vehicles were sold with gearing WAY too high to tow. The fuel thing began a push to make cars as light-duty as possible to get the best corporate average fuel mileage. The strength moved from the frame to unit (unibody) construction. A car is now like a set of playing cards arranged to give the minimum box strength required for crashworthiness, with the maximum interior room possible, with the lightest possible weight. Most of the strength is in the front end to handle crash tests and the weight of the drivetrain. The rear has only enough strength to support a little luggage in the trunk. Front wheel drive cut both weight and manufacturing costs, but put the traction away from a towed load. There's no "frame" to attach a significant hitch to, and the thin body metal between the front wheel drive and tail of the car would probably be stretched if there was much load tugging on the rear. The engine, and particularly the drivetrain (transmission, differential) contribute a lot to weight (and thus influence gas mileage) so they're now as light-duty as possible... the minimum required for just the car itself.

The SUVs of today are just the big station wagons of yesteryear. Many, if not most, of the mini-vans today are no better than what station wagons would be if built on today's car platforms. The sales leading Chrysler minivan can only tow 2,000 lbs, "properly equipped," while the sales leading SUV, the Explorer, can tow 3,500 lbs at the least, and over 7,000 lbs with the V-8 and 3.73 gears.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I would stay away from 60's vehicles for towing on today's highways. The engines and trans aren't up to the speeds for very long, and the 4 wheel drum brakes definitely won't make it in a panic stop. In those days 100,000 miles was about the lifespan. Maintenance on point distributors, carb tuning, etc. is a dying art, and this is routine maintenance for these vehicles. The 70's and early 80's became a nightmare of vacuum lines which existed until fuel injection took over.

John
Old 09-24-2002, 10:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I beg to differ! The cars of the 60's were produced in the days when folks drove 85 mph on the then relatively new 70 mph or higher Interstates... all day long (BTDT). The big-block engines were highly understressed versions of those in the performance cars, and had their heritage in the truck world. The Torqueflite and TurboHydro 400 transmissions in the big boats came from the truck world and were some of the strongest ever built... pounded at the drag strips weekly.

I grant you that disk brakes are superior in general, but many these days are downsized with small rotors and make up for it with higher pressure. Some of the stopping distances measured by MotorWeek, et al, are terrible!

Sure, the old cars (like old trailers) require more maintenance... but it's a poor mechanic who can't install a set of points and condenser, set dwell (which if it remains the same doesn't affect timing), and touch up timing if necessary. Carbs don't get "out of tune." That's a myth propogated by the tune-up folks. They do get dirty and need cleaning, but so do fuel-injection systems, which also require replacement parts throughout their life.

I've been wrenchin' as a hobby for over 40 years... the main difference today is emissions and efficiency. I program electronic ignitions with a computer now, where it once was changing weights and springs on a distributor machine. Same thing with EFI systems, vs changing jets in the carb. Same thing, different methods... just takes a lot more money to do it these days.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:18 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hrnicho
Hi,
I'm glad to hear this discussion concerning the ability of older cars to pull an Airstream. I had about given up the idea of being able to pull an Airstream with a car and since I don't want a truck or SUV meant no Airstream though I remember my parents pulling wit ha full size Olds or Chrysler. Spoke with the local Mercury dealer hoping the Grand Marquis being a real wheel drive would work but they said not even for a Bambi. I don't mind buying an older car for this task as I'm sure my mechanic can keep it running. What year in then 60's should be the latest considered for the tow Car?
Thanks
Old 09-24-2002, 07:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
You can tow with a 60's car. But you need to be aware of the limitations and maintenance involved. Some people could do their own, but in those days nearly every gas station was also a garage. That tells me a lot couldn't.

The old boats that cruised 85 all day had 2.93 rear gears, not exactly made for towing. With 4800 lbs. of car and 5000 lbs. of trailer at 4000 ft. you will wish you could stop and rejet or change some metering rods. There was no on the fly mixture adjustment, no O2 sensor as in today's vehicles.

If you are serious about this you need to look for a vehicle with front disc brakes, that at least will give you a dual braking system. What you are really buying this for is the frame, it needs to be in top notch shape. These vehicles are nearly 40 years old and the frames had little protection then but chassis black paint over the drawing lube used during their manufacture. Rust usually covered them within a couple of years. The rest of the suspension is equally important. This is where the prior owners attention to all the lube points will be evident. Changing ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. was very common. Springs may need to be replaced, you will asking a lot of them after this much time.

I would look for a Ford or Chevy, with either a towing or police package. Both of their big blocks are still easy to find parts for. Chrysler hasn't made the 440 for years, same with the 455 of Olds and Pontiac. No sense having to compete with the hot rodders for a replacement. A good 4 core radiator is a must, hopefully recored within the last few years as cooling will be another major concern. An trans cooler is another must but an easy add on.

AC then was R12, it is R134A today. The systems are not compatible. To convert them is expensive, to recharge R12 is expensive, you will have to make a decision on that. This will only get worse as time goes on and the supply of freon is depleted.

A lot of parts for these are going to be hard to find. A windshield wiper motor for a 1965 Chevy Bel Air going out in Moultrie, GA is going to be a big deal. If you are looking at a forecast with 3 days of rain, you will probably sit until it passes.

I would go to an old car show. Talk to some of the people with old 60's cars and see how they feel about this. They don't have the handling and braking of today's cars. They don't have the reliability of today's cars. It is a nifty idea, I think your mechanic will love it. But I am not sure you will. It is one thing to get these out a few times a year and cruise around in them. It is entirely different to hook 5000 lbs to the back of them and take a 2300 mile trip.

John
Old 09-24-2002, 08:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I agree the Ford or Chevy make it much easier, but if your heart is set on it, a Buick, Olds or Cadillac are possible. John makes many good points. Keep in mind this isn't much different than restoring and maintaining a '60's Airstream (much less a '52!) wrt searching for and finding parts. You'll want to make it even more reliable than the trailer, and you'll want a network of contacts and suppliers for it. Unless you're adamant about keeping it original, you can replace unobtainable parts with something else adapted. And certainly one day you may have to make a few calls from Moultrie, GA, but I'll be FedEx delivers there too.

Get involved in classic cars... go to the club meetings, shows, and auctions. You may find that exact car you want there, and perhaps even already redone frame-up. Some restore these big boats and then develop a lust for something sexier or more romantic. But definitely don't count on it... and overlook a diamond in the rough. If you do find a restored one, have it looked over well by someone known to be knowledgable on the particular car.

This old car is going to be as much of a hobby, and probably require even more dedication, than the trailer itself. But it definitely doable and the more you get into it, the more you may find yourself looking for a classic 50's car to pull your 50's trailer.

Don't expect to find a receiver hitch for it, though. Back in those days, they often custom made them out of angle iron and a 2" receiver box (rather than carry a large inventory of different hitches), and you can too.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:36 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
good feedback

Thanks for the replies; you've really addressed our dilemma and the issues we've been thinking about and made some good points. The info. is great to have as we consider our ideal tow vehicle. Meanwhile, we've made a compromise. Since we're not ready to restore both a car and a trailer, and we don't want to invest too much $$$ until we know what will work best for us, and we want to start using the A.S. asap, we decided to get a '94 Roadmaster with a towing package (trans. cooler, big radiator, stiffer suspension, 2.93 rear axle) rated to 5000#. We found one in good condition that seems like it will be at least barely adequate, and it has some safety features not found on the older models. It's not vintage, but in its own way is a classic: 5.7 V-8, RWD, frame construction. I haven't had a driving experience like this one for some time! We'll let you know how it works towing with this rig. Maybe see some of you passing us on the long hills...
Doug
Old 10-06-2002, 02:25 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tow Cars - Buick Roadmaster/Cadillac Brougham

These were among the last of the large, rear wheel drive GM cars to have trailer tow ratings approaching those necessary to tow an Airstream. The Roadmaster through the end of its production run a few years ago, could be ordered with the 5.7 liter V8 and heavy dutry trailer towing package that would allow it to have a trailer tow rating up to 6,000 pounds. The Cadillac Brougham also had a similar trailer tow rating when it was equippped with the 5.7 liter V8 and heavy dutry trailer tow package.

While I haven't had experience towing with either of these vehicles, I do know that I have seen members of the WBCCI towing Airstreams up to about 29' with the 5.7 liter Brougham. My understanding is that Cadillac discontinued rating the new Broughmas for trailer towing about two years ago.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:56 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
Towing with automobiles

Earlier this year I went to a Hensley gathering in Branson, MO. Present were several people from Canada, who were towing Airstreams and other brands with cars - 6 cylinder FWD Dodges, and one was towing a 34' Classic with a late '90's Sedan deVille. Would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it! Seems there is an outfit in Canada that makes very heavy-duty hitches for these cars. Their favorite was the Cadillac Seville STS of the mid '90's. Their rationale was that, with the weight-distributing hitch (Hensley), the powerful Cadillac Northstar engine, the 3.83 axle, and the aerodynamic shape of the car, they were BETTER than an SUV or truck. I think as long as one is on good roads, and stay in parks with good roads, this may be a good option. But on not-so-good roads, the SUV or truck, with its 4WD and extra ground clearance, seems better.

If anyone is interested, I can find the name of the company and individual in Canada.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:12 PM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
This has been an often discussed issue here. Towing a 8K trailer with a 4 K car. YIKES...........

Can it be done, YES.

Should it be done, NO!

The outfit in Canada that equips cars with the hensley and the extra heavy tow equiptment is Can AM. If you do a search on it you will see what I mean regarding the discussions here. I have to assume that in Canada the liability laws are not what they are here. If I hook a 34 foot trailer to a STS, rated from the factory at 1500 towing capacity, and get in an accident where I lose control or cannot stop I will be responsible for the resulting financial damages, not the guy who installed it. I am unwilling to risk all I have just because the guy I hit has a better attorney than I do.

As an individual we all have freedoms that we can excersie. But in doing so you also assume all the risks inherent with the descisions you make.

By using Manufacturers guidlines and tow ratings you blanket yourself in the idea in front of the court that you were not neglegent (sp) and at the least had it all setup properly. The fact that you hit someone or had a wreck makes it "just an accident".

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote