Old 10-30-2003, 09:13 AM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325

So, Eric... however do you plan to order the Allison/Duramax combo in a Ford? I don't think that's available from the factory...
Roger
Yea, the other brand just has that power stroke thingie.....think I'll be stickn' with a "MAN'S" truck if I go that route.

Hey, one of my first mods to the Safari will be some "SS" emblems.

Hey...you know, Chevy also makes a Silverado SS, but it's only a 10 bolt rearend...but it is extended cab, meaty tires, engine, drivetrain...aw hell, decisions, decisions....

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:14 AM   #30
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325

And... does the new Safari SS sport the same symbol as the Impala SS?

OK, the cat's out of the bag... now you all know why Eric traded off the Bambi... he's just stuck on having an SS towed by an SS!

Roger
I bet the OEM Impala SS logos are on order from his favorite GM dealer. I think they may even have them in Airstream Blue so it will look liek a factory job!

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:44 AM   #31
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, come to think of it, I'm slacking....I forgot to get those on order!

That would be really cool to have Safari SS on the side of the coach rather than Safari LS or just Safari......

But I do have a few extra emblems lying around!

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 10-30-2003, 12:29 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

I hear that some people have towed with Cadillacs, my Argosy manual shows my 28'
1978 trailer being pulled by a station wagon. Personally, I find Trucks, SUV's and the like too ugly to pull an Argosy, not to mention, I don't like driving them. Has anyone ever attempted pulling with a 70's Trans Am, or similar Muscle car? I want to match my trailer to the tow vehicle by year(1978) and style. My friend can sell me a 1978 Trans am with a 440 posi in it. I would be willing to change out the transmission/ rear end, cooling system, whatever. This car is heavy, solid, and very powerfull.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:47 PM   #33
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I believe that that was still a body on frame. I would suspect it could tow the Argosy with little problems. If memory serves me right however, the T/A might be a very light car compared to the B-Body dinosaurs....then again, the Argosy is also less heavy than an Airstream.....

At the very least, it would be a very neat project. I am unsure how safe 28' would be though with the old F bodys. Algebra and geometry were not my strong points, but others might be able to comment on it further. Power wise, it would not be a problem....

Eric
Old 10-30-2003, 12:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Camaro and Firebird had sub-frames. There was a good market for awhile for sub-frame connectors, you could twist the body with a good engine. Too light and low to be a very good tow vehicle for anything but a small utility trailer.

John
Old 10-30-2003, 01:07 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

If I used a Trans Am, I imagine I would have to raise the rear end. If this car won't work, does anyone know of any 70's
era muscle cars that would?
Old 10-30-2003, 01:12 PM   #36
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Chevelle SS with either a 454 or a 396!

Go for it! That car has a full body on pig iron frame.

Of course with the proper gears and cooling....weight bars would take car of raising the rear end from any sag.....

Eric
Old 10-30-2003, 01:46 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Cool!! I could get into towing with a Chevelle. What year would you recommend?
Old 10-30-2003, 02:17 PM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My gut tells me early to mid 70s, but closer to the earlier 70s.

You also could consider a Cutlass 442, Skylark, Delta 88, 98, Caprice/Impala, Fleetwood, etc.

Most of these cars had a minimum of a 350 and a max of a 454. In all cases, these rides are all full body on pig iron frames. The horsepower and torque play an important role, suspention, braking and cooling play major roles as well. Make sure the car of your choice also has some weight to it and if possible a longer wheelbase.

Eric
Old 10-30-2003, 02:58 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Is it safe to say, that a 1978 Trans am can't do it? I'm looking on Ebay at Chevelles, they're cool, but really expensive...