Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #57
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Tomzstream it isn't the numbers, per se, it is the assumptions underlying them. To be tedious, one false hypothesis and the theory falls apart. "dkottum" nailed it . . and complaining of a "hornets nest" or characterizing arguments as "wars" leads one to think you may not be reliable even on "numbers" as of what they are constituted is the most interesting set of arguments around here in re lash-up. Be careful of denigration.

That you are satisfied with your vehicle is your business . . but what makes one TV better than another is backed by numbers, not just emotions. Informed versus ignorant opinion. We all start somewhere along that spectrum.

Look forward to further interest on your part. This is not the only forum where the attempts to find what is best is ongoing.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #58
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
. . but what makes one TV better than another is backed by numbers, not just emotions.
After reading up on the HA, why would anyone use anything else? It's the one I want now and luckily I'm doing the research first and the purchasing second I like the ideas in the HA design.

Along those lines, can or should one also consider something like the "air safe" to reduce some of the shock on either TV or trailer? These are not cost questions but ones of what is truly better system/combination.

Lastly, we don't want a truck right now, and if/when we do end up with a truck, it will only be a Dodge Cummins. Currently that length of vehicle and associated size considerations simply does not suit our needs. We want to explore places where a full size longish truck will not be easy or even possible as compared to something like an LR4, Land Cruiser, or new G550 (all 3 of which have the same wheelbase and hp/tq more or less)

From everything I have read, the solid rear axle still found in the newest Land Cruiser has more potential for towing and loading than the newest independent air suspensions such as found in the LR4 or Sequoia. The LC and G550 both have solid rear with G550 also having solid front. Granted the G is the truest off-road 4x4 in this case with much higher potential for aftermarket modifications, and LR4 is least modifiable. The LC is a happy medium in both offroad and on road towing capability a little beyond the LR4 design. Or so it seems.... the LC has a higher tow rating by 500-600 but the rear springs can be upgraded whereas with an air suspension, you're stuck with it.

I do LIKE the bike trucks, but they are so freaking big! I have liked the few I've driven. However, with where I want to be able to go, when not towing, a tight turning radius is important. I'm not sure I can justify a truck "just" for towing. The LC can suit all of our other needs as well.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp View Post
Hi Gene.

Anyway, I have to respectfully disagree with you on your comparison of the Land Cruiser above to a 4Runner. They are not even in the same league. LC is built in Japan still by some of the best in the world. Kind of like getting a G wagen, almost. Is the 4runner wheelbase as long? They sure seem "tippy" and I know of at least one friend who's mom rolled a 4runner and not even under the most crazy conditions in a highway accident. The build quality underneath, which is where it counts, is not even close! The engines, transmission, and interior trim and ergonomics.
Well, the 4Runner is also built in Japan as I understand it. We have a 2006 Limited, maybe their best one. The latest version has gotten poor reviews on cheap interior, poor handling, and more. I doubt I would buy it if I needed a new one. Our 2006 handles very well—better than any SUV I've driven. Drive train has been excellent, though some of the interior shows signs of Toyota's effort to cheapen interiors. At 103,000 miles, the 4Runner runs and drives like new. Our 2007 Tundra is significantly cheaper inside and out with things like fit and finish, paint, materials.

I can't see how the price of a Land Cruiser makes sense. If you want luxury, buy a Sequoia. Offroad, either a LC or a 4Runner will take you just about anywhere.

For hitches, check out the ProPride. Costs less than the Hensley, designed by the same guy as an upgrade. There's a thread on it too.

Gene
Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #60
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Thank you for the Pro-Ride recommendation! What does "as an upgrade" mean regarding the pro-ride?

I also like the previous 4 Runner better than the current one. Sounds like it's more than just the styling.

I don't see much real "luxury" in the Sequoia, just a huge suv Tundra with some decent seats. Dash looks a bit mundane considering the other options out there in the $60k range like a Land Rover LR4.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Pro-Pride my friend - Pro-Pride!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #62
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Pro-Pride my friend - Pro-Pride!
I just realized your TV TT combo is nearly what I had been planning. No need to ask how well your TV works and how comfortable the seats are

You use the PP sway control. For an suv would a WD hitch also be used in conjunction or is it a matter of one or the other? Seems to me they perform different tasks unless one also includes the other tasks in a combination design.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
The ProPride and Haha have both weight distribution and sway control built into the same product.

Obviously, I'm a monster fan of the ProPride!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #64
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Looking around, it seems Airstream dealers don't tend to stock or sell these but they carry other designs that are clearly cheaper in various ways - which I don't want. I'll have to see if my preferred local hitch shop, Tork Lift Central in Kent, WA, carries the PP. That's funny. Airforums has so many abreviations: TW, TV, TT, HAHA, and now, I think there should be "PP"
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not sure about this but I think Proprides are sold direct from the company only. In other words you don't pay a retailer markup or stocking fees. Sean, the owner of Propride, can get you one in a short time and is always available for advice and technical help.

I bought one a couple of months ago and used it for 2,000 miles so far. After Equal-I-Zer and Andersen, this Propride is a completely different towing experience. Would never had believed it could be so good. Like driving our 1/2 ton Dodge Ram with no trailer behind it.

doug k
Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #66
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Lincoln City , Oregon
Vintage TVs

I enjoyed reading this thread. Just for fun I thought I would post my current and former TV. 1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser and 1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville.
Most would not agree with my choics but the Olds is working well as a replacement for the Caddy.
Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying Cloud 037.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	519.0 KB
ID:	185869   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0999.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	484.9 KB
ID:	185870  

Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #68
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser and 1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville.

Dick

Awesome! Would love to see this out and about.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
I enjoyed reading this thread. Just for fun I thought I would post my current and former TV. 1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser and 1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville.
Most would not agree with my choics but the Olds is working well as a replacement for the Caddy.
Dick
Very Nice!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #70

2012 28' International
Flower Mound , Texas
Thomp,

About your 2012 Touareg, What is the tongue weight on your AS? I'm also thinking of going to an "Egg" TDI but the max tongue weight is about 660 lbs and my A/S rates 950 lbs. Now I have to think about air suspension add on. Probably easier to go with a pickup.