Old 10-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2000 19' Bambi
McMinnville , Oregon
Touareg and tow mirrors

We will be picking up our 2000 19' Bambi on Monday about 300 miles away. We have a 2009 Touareg with factory tow package, and Primus IQ brake controller. I have two questions:

1. Will I need to add tow mirrors to see around the trailer. Others who tow with a Touareg might be able to answer this.

2. It has standard 7 pin wiring plug on the Touareg. Will I be able to plug into the airstream and go or is there a different wiring pattern for the Bambi?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
You will need some mirrors. I use some Curt Strap ons. Your seven pin plug should work fine but you may need to confirm that the Treg Computer is set properly for towing.. Mine had to be adjusted a bit to recognize the lights n t my trailer, etc. This is a simple setting change that your dealer could make it needed.

1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
We use Milenco Aero mirrors when towing with our Touareg and have been very pleased with them. They are easy to put on and take off, and can be configured several different ways to get the best viewing.
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2000 19' Bambi
McMinnville , Oregon
Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I better get some mirrors.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
2007 19' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Touareg and Bambi

Yes, I would definitely use additional tow mirrors. We have a 19 ft. Bambi and a 2012 Touareg and tried several mirror options before finding the MCKESH mirror that attaches to the car door and makes seeing along the sides of the Bambi a reality.

McKesh Mirrors - Hensley Mfg., Inc.
lonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Mirrors etc.

I agree that the McKesh is your best option. We got them for what we hope will ultimately be a Treg cousin - a late model Cayenne S - and have used them on a variety of similar sized rental Nissan Pathfinders as we search for the Cayenne, since noe of our cars are TV capable.

We have a restored vintage cousin 1960 Avion T20 (20'-6" L) & needed the mirrors to see adequately around & behind per CA laws. We go to vintage trailer events around CA a few times a year, so rentals fill in okay for now.

T-regs & Cayennes have some hitch issues you'll want to read up on in the back issues of RV Lifestyles magazine online under their "Hitch Hints" regular feature (it's a Canada magazine). There have been a couple about towing A'streams with the Treg & Cayenne, and there is a hitch reinforcement that is advised - especially with weight distribution.

We elected to go with the Hensley Cub ("Arrow Jr") since our Avion is about 3000# loaded/wet & it's rated up to 6000# - so adequate for the newwer & heavier Bambi's at 4-5000# too, and they are about $1300-1700 vs $2200+ for the larger Arrow for heavier trailers. No WD bars to remove & stow & the jacks are easier than the pry-up chains on other WD hitches at less cost, but the sway is GONE! Only the "stinger" tow bar to remove when parked - or leave it in if locked & not driving off.

As to the 7-pin, the above noted articles didn't mention any issues with reprogramming, but a T-reg online forum might get you better answers.

I can't speak for the brake controller directly, cuz we got a Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller mounted on the trailer a-frame with a wireless hand unit that plugs into the DC 12v power/cig lighter since we knew we'd be renting TVs for a time, but I like that I can have the controller hand unit on my lap or center consol close at hand if I need bump the trailer brakes quickly - rather than reaching to an under-dash unit & possibly compromising steering control &/or vision while reaching/bending forward to bump the brake boost & other controls. More handy with the RF IMHO.

FYI - with 7719# towing capacity on the T-reg, you should also be good for your `78 Argosy!

(Jana's other half & designated hitcher/driver/fixer/etc.)
janabanana48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
PS - those cheaper mirrors that clip/strap onto the TV's mirrors proved useless due to constant vibration/movement & lack of width for rearward view around a silver twinkie.

PSS - If VW had changed 2 letters in the name - then it would've been "Towrig"! ;-)
janabanana48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Touareg and tow mirrors

The EAGLE VISION mirror set is the original McKesh by appearance from the 1970s. At etrailer for a very good price. Add a BIG spot convex to the arm (6 or 8 inch on both sides). Compare it to the CIPA Deluxe Door Mount. I'd rather have the original McKesh/eagle mirror head as tall trumps wide for distance. The convex is for what is next to you thus the need for a big one.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
2000 19' Bambi
McMinnville , Oregon
Thank you all for your replies. Will be picking up our Bambi tomorrow.