Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Touareg and the Hensley question

I recently purchased a V8 Touareg to tow my '78 Sovereign (much to everyone's surprise). My question is about weight distribution hitches. Specifically the Hensley. My manual says not to use such a device, and I'm wondering why. I see other Touareg owners are using a WD hitch with no problems. Am I missing something?
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Don't understand it either - I would think that a weight distribution hitch would be good sense - trust that you now however that a Hensley is way more than just another weight distribution hitch - it changes all the geometry of towing and makes for a much more stable towing situation - ie, zero sway.

I gather the Propride hitch is similar in principle, but I only have experience with the original - the Hensley - and I am very happy with it so far.

I have found some additional challenges in hooking up but am developing some techniques that work for me. So far I am very much convinced that the added relaxation of towing far outweighs any hookup issues.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
It is being done.

Check out the customer photo album here

ProPride | Facebook

You will see a couple pics of the Airstream 25FB being towed with the Touareg. This is AirForums member JScheck. You might be able to search some of his posts for more info.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I have a ProPride and LOVE IT!!! I have towed from the East coast of New Jersey to San Diego via the Appalachians, Rockies and Sierra Nevada's - and just recently towed back to Maryland via the same route.

Rock stable at all speeds and even with big cross winds (55 mph cross winds on I-70 in Nebraska on my West bound trip during the spring) - I have NEVER had an issue but know for a fact Sean supports his product - TRUST ME as he gave me his personal cell phone number in case I had any issues when driving on my first cross country trip AND when I needed stronger support bars during the original install he had them overnighted!

My 25FB Classic tows at all speeds ROCK SOLID and the ProPride is very, very easy to hook up too - if you need more info then that go ahead and PM me...

Sean's supports the Pro Pride - and I SWEAR by it as do many, many others.

I highly recommend a ProPride and the support that Sean provides is impeccable.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote