Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #21
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
The conflicting stories you get from the various customer service reps is always interesting...same with the various dealerships.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
No surprise here that you got that response from a German VW Customer Service rep as those are the towing specifications in Europe. VW, Audi, Mercedes and other European manufactured cars and trailers use a very different hitch and towing system. The hitch receiver is smaller and less substantial than US receivers because they are designed to carry less weight -7% to 8% as opposed to the US ratio of 10% of towed weight. The hitch ball system is very different and a 50mm ball (=2") is the standard. The trailers don't use an A frame and instead is a straight arm with a different coupler system.

The hitch receivers mounted on German cars here in the US is the standard class IV receiver which is stronger and more robust than the European models with stronger bolts. Europeans do not use weight distribution hitches so hence why would they recommend them.

Orangekid, we have had this discussion with you on this forum and the Touareg forums previously and you chose not to purchase a Touareg because of the German specifications. There are many many of us on this and the other forums towing with Touaregs and I have yet to read of any one having issues of failed air suspension or ripping off their hitch.

I respect your decision to tow with a different vehicle but if you have never tried towing with the Touareg, then you will never understand its capabilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52_IMG_6285.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	180447  

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
No surprise here that you got that response from a German VW Customer Service rep as those are the towing specifications in Europe. VW, Audi, Mercedes and other European manufactured cars and trailers use a very different hitch and towing system. The hitch receiver is smaller and less substantial than US receivers because they are designed to carry less weight -7% to 8% as opposed to the US ratio of 10% of towed weight. The hitch ball system is very different and a 50mm ball (=2") is the standard. The trailers don't use an A frame and instead is a straight arm with a different coupler system.
I have read another difference for travel trailers in Europe is that they are required to have surge brakes instead of electric brakes and many W/D hitches are not recommended for use with surge brakes(most can cause interference if not setup properly for use with surge brakes and even most dealers don't or can't do that right).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #24
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
The conflicting stories you get from the various customer service reps is always interesting...same with the various dealerships.
I seem to be getting consistent responses from VW reps including the referral Class II trailers when I was asking if the Touareg had a Class IV hitch receiver.

Here is the latest response from VW Chat:

"Thank you for chatting with yesterday. I got that information you requested!

The hitch receiver for the 2013 Touareg is a class 3 and does not come standard on the vehicle. While this is a class 3 hitch, the maximum towing capacity is 7,716 pounds and the tongue weight is 616 pounds.

You will need to have your local VW Dealer install the hitch receiver. All of our vehicles that offer the ability to tow have the following to help assist on safely towing a trailer:

• Heavy duty radiator and battery
• A flasher system
• Heavy duty alternator
• Heavy duty suspension and brakes
• Engine oil cooler
• Transmission oil cooler

In order to ensure the Touareg you purchase has the ability to tow up to the maximum of 7,700 pounds, you will need to make sure it was ordered with the hitch from the factory and that you are using a trailer with brakes. If not, the maximum towable amount is 1,650 pounds.

Please know the maximum permissible trailer tongue weight exerted on the ball mount must not exceed 616 pounds. With the towing equipment properly installed, the weight of force pressing down on the tongue will not lift the front wheels. If the tongue weight is too low, the vehicle and the trailer will not handle as well.

Volkswagen strongly discourages the use of weight distribution hitches. An improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch system may reduce handling, stability, braking performance, and could result in an accident. We recommend to only use a weight-carrying trailer hitch designed and approved for the gross weight of the trailer you want to tow.

Some other helpful information about the Touareg is it was not designed to tow a Class II trailer. Please make sure the trailer you want to tow does not meet this classification. The ball mount you use on the Touareg must not exceed two inches (2”) and there are specific dimensions in which the height of the ball above the surface where it attaches and the pin-to-ball distance must be met. These dimensions are very important as a way to help determine the way the forces that arise during towing are applied properly to the receiver.

For even more in-depth information about the Touareg’s towing capabilities and guidelines, I encourage you to contact your local VW Dealer. I’m positive they will be more than willing to help you! To locate your nearest VW Dealer, please visit Find a Dealer - volkswagen.com.

I also encourage you to take a test drive of the Touareg if you have not already done so. I’m sure you will love the driving and handling the vehicle has to offer.

I hope we can see you in a new Touareg soon!

Christy
VW Chat"
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Orangekid, we have had this discussion with you on this forum and the Touareg forums previously and you chose not to purchase a Touareg because of the German specifications. There are many many of us on this and the other forums towing with Touaregs and I have yet to read of any one having issues of failed air suspension or ripping off their hitch.
As you can tell I am still wrestling with the decision as to which TV I should purchase to replace my Toyota Sequoia. Besides the Jeep Grand Cherokee the only other mid-sized TV I have found that seems to be fully supported by the manufacturer to tow a 6000 pound trailer with a weight distributing hitch is the Lexus GX 460. It supports use of a WD hitch, has a class IV receiver, has a tow capacity of 6500 pounds, a weight carrying capacity of 1315 pounds. However, it does not have diesel option in the US and has an inconvenient side opening rear hatch.

As we have downsized to a small condo in downtown Portland, I don't have the luxury of owning two vehicles. That is why I am looking for a mid-sized SUV that would serve as our everyday vehicle as well as a TV. The Sequoia is too large and ponderous for driving around the narrow streets of Portland.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #26
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
OrangeKid, I see you are in Portland. Interestingly, after much searching, it was the Portland VW dealership parts man who could tell me the parts needed to install my brake controller. And he had them in stock. He sent them to me as well as the Tech bulletin that the other VW dealers knew nothing about.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid View Post
As we have downsized to a small condo in downtown Portland, I don't have the luxury of owning two vehicles. That is why I am looking for a mid-sized SUV that would serve as our everyday vehicle as well as a TV. The Sequoia is too large and ponderous for driving around the narrow streets of Portland.
The Touareg is maybe 15" shorter but I don't know if you are going to find anything much smaller than your Toyota that is going to fit your specs.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
And, it is generally suggested to have at least 10% of the trailer GVW on the tongue / hitch.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #29
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
OrangeKid, I see you are in Portland. Interestingly, after much searching, it was the Portland VW dealership parts man who could tell me the parts needed to install my brake controller. And he had them in stock. He sent them to me as well as the Tech bulletin that the other VW dealers knew nothing about.
Please tell me which VW dealer it was. If I buy a Touareg I'd like to deal with a knowledgeable dealer.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #30
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
The Touareg is maybe 15" shorter but I don't know if you are going to find anything much smaller than your Toyota that is going to fit your specs.
I have identified three mid sized SUVs that are supported by their manufacturers for using a WD hitch. They are Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX, Lexus GX 460 and the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The 2014 Jeep GC will be available with a 3.0 liter v-6 diesel engine with a 7400 lb. tow rating. They all have sufficient towing and tongue weight capacity to tow my 23' Safari. The Jeep 4X4 is a little light in cargo carrying capacity.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #31
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid View Post
Please tell me which VW dealer it was. If I buy a Touareg I'd like to deal with a knowledgeable dealer.

Thanks
Sorry,it was Sheppard Motors in Eugene. I mixed up the Oregon towns.