Originally Posted by barts
I would follow VW's recommendations here.
From what I read on the Toureg fora, a weight distributing hitch is not recommended with the TDI.
Correct, that's what the VW dealers in Europe say :
- no weight distributing hitch
- maximum weight of trailer to be 7716lb (3500kg)
- maximum hitch weight not to exceed 308lb (140kg)
- mechanical brakes with a handbrake to be installed (like one on Airstream 684 model that is being sold in Europe).
In order to couple T'reg (air suspension equipped) with 25FB I'm going to do the following :
1. Install the mechanical brakes, similar to one on A/S 684
2. Not to use any weight distribution hitch
3. Install a towing hitch under the rear bumper of the trailer
4. Attach the Thule Cargo Box (like 900 Thule BackUp) and/or Bike Rack to the hitch at the rear bumper of the trailer
5. Use scales prior to every towing to monitor the actual hitch weight
6. Keep the hitch weight within 308lb (140kg), which is 4.23% of the loaded weight of the trailer 7300lb (3311kg), by moving the cargo into the very end inside the trailer and keep the heaviest stuff outside the trailer in the Thule BackUp cargo Box. Intention is to always keep the Hitch Weight at 308lb (140kg).
Do you think above set up would work safely for towing in Europe ?