Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Touareg 2 V6 TDI

Considering this for a TV,... for a current/late model A/S 23' Flying Cloud FB.

From the reading & research I've done here - the TDI seems to get high marks, on average.

I'm single & would do most of my trips solo.

Any thoughts about the TDI as a TV,... or the 23' FB,... & particularly, the 2 as a combo, for a single driver.

All opinions & feedback appreciated.

Cheers!
~CLK
I've also looked at, & considered the '25 FB Flying cloud,... but read it's pushing the envelope, w/ the TDI as TV. Plus, I'm assuming the 23' easier to handle/tow for a single, novice driver.
CLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
You will find several opinions here on the forum, it's been discussed several times.
If you click on "search" in the dark blue line at the top of the page and type in Touareg, you should find these threads easily.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
A 23' with a weight distribution and anti sway should be more than fine. I bought an 08 V8 and to a 19' Bambi with it and LOVE it! Club Touareg is also a great place to look.
This was my first trip with the T Reg St Weston Bend MO state park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-56790568.png
Views:	165
Size:	1,005.0 KB
ID:	133796  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Take my word, that is the perfect combo and will reward you with many, many years of great service!!!!

Seriously, PERFECTION, but I would still go with a Pro Pride if you can afford it for the ULTIMATE MATCH BETWEEN THE THREE!!!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
A 23' with a weight distribution and anti sway should be more than fine. I bought an 08 V8 and to a 19' Bambi with it and LOVE it! Club Touareg is also a great place to look.
This was my first trip with the T Reg St Weston Bend MO state park.
Thanks blmitch!

I've read your past posts here, re: getting your T-Reg, etc,... informative - thx. Let me offer you a late, "Congrats!" on it.

The used T-Reg I'm looking at comes w/ a small doughnut spare - When traveling (towing), do you carry a full size spare? If so, how/where?

Finally, from my reading here, I got the tip-off to the Club Touareg site. Posted a couple ?s there, re: best wheel size & tires for towing (not off-road tires).

Cheers!
~CLK
ps - Pic looks great - Fun times!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Take my word, that is the perfect combo and will reward you with many, many years of great service!!!!

Seriously, PERFECTION, but I would still go with a Pro Pride if you can afford it for the ULTIMATE MATCH BETWEEN THE THREE!!!
Thanks JFS!

Also - Let me Thank You,.. for all the good info you've posted about this TV, & rigging it.

I've read alot of it,... & it's been helpful - Thanks!

Cheers!
~CLK
ps - Same question to you as to blmitch above, re: Spare tire - Did you carry a full T-Reg spare, when traveling/towing?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
On the topic of the T2 as a TV,... what's a good wheel & tire combo, for towing (all terrain & season).

The car I'm looking at, comes w/ 19" wheels. I'm guessing a smaller wheel size would be better for towing,... but a big enough advantage to consider buying smaller 17/18" wheels?

If not - For towing purposes,... What the best tire for a 19" wheel?

Cheers!
~CLK
Old 07-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A thought on the 23' FB and the 25' FB.

The 23' FB has similar bedroom to the 25' bedroom, but the living areas are completely different, the 23' small and in the center and the 25' large and at the end.

The 23' D (International) has a similar large living area to the 25', but a smaller bed.

The question may be, do I want the larger bed of the 23' FB and small living area, or the larger living area of the 23' D and smaller bed? Or should I get both larger living and larger bed of the 25' FB?

John S., how would the TDI match up with the Flying Cloud 25' FB (only a bit lighter than your previous 25' Classic)?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
go for it. it's perfect. i tow with the V8 but wish i had the TDI. and i have a 31 ft. Airstream. I know others who have the regular v6 towing your same 23-footer and do so with zero problems.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
John S., how would the TDI match up with the Flying Cloud 25' FB (only a bit lighter than your previous 25' Classic)?doug k
I was torn between the 23 International or Flying Cloud, but for just a few dollars more, a 25 foot International or Flying Cloud with the wider cabin seemed doable, just two more feet I kept telling myself!

So, low and behold, a brand new 25FB Classic was advertised and in the spec's it had a lighter tongue weight then the 25 International & Flying Cloud - a tongue weight that was comparable to the 23 International, PLUS it had Disc Brakes - so I talked myself into this larger trailer....

Wow, was I surprised when I placed my 25FB Classic on the scales as the tongue weighed more then the 25 International or Flying Cloud. What I did not realize is that with the upgraded propane tanks, front wrap-around windows (the 2009 Classic did not have this by default,) propane in the tanks, spare tire - my tongue was heavy,very heavy - in fact heavier than a 27FB Classic similarly configured....

I also knew based on my T-Rex's wheelbase - the 23 foot length was at the max of my limits while a 25 footer was pushing it, even though I'm sure my Pro Pride hitch compensated quite well - love that hitch...

SO - To keep a long story short...

With the use of a ProPride Hitch, I towed Coast-to-Coast with my Touareg TDI at speeds faster than I should have, up over the Sierra's, Rockies, Appalachians and across the plans with crazy 50+ gusts - always felt in control with plenty of performance and crazy good gas mileage.

I might have been able to push the envelope a bit more, but my association with aircraft kept me cognizant of the Airstream load that I already had on the vehicle so I restricted myself to only 2 passengers in the Touareg, absolutely nothing in the SUV back seats or storage area - and I kept the Airstreams propane tanks at half full and my weight (clothes, towels, etc.) was kept on the axels in bags vice stored in the bedroom (sitting over the A-Frame) cabinets, only 15 lbs was stored in the under bed compartment - all in an attempt to mitigate my tongue weight.

Trust me - all that weight management gets old after awhile, especially if you are actively using your trailer like I was...

Yea, the Touareg TDI always felt good with the load as I had her configured, but in the back of my mind I knew I was pushing it and just like an aircraft - was wondering if one day I would cross that performance envelope and damage myself, trailer or someone else.

PLUS - it is so much more enjoyable now, loading up all the storage compartments in the trailer, using the back seats or storage in the bed - and knowing I'm safe.

IF I HAD IT TO DO AGAIN - I would have went with a 23 International vice the 25 Classic, 23 Flying Cloud would have been a close second....
Old 07-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Trust me - all that weight management gets old after awhile, especially if you are actively using your trailer like I was...

IF I HAD IT TO DO AGAIN - I would have went with a 23 International vice the 25 Classic, 23 Flying Cloud would have been a close second....
The above, has alot to do with why I'm focusing on the 23FB FC,... & not the '25, but would still use a Pro Pride hitch.

Again - Thanks for sharing your experience.

Also, I'm curious about a good wheel size/tire combo for cross country towing. Plus, what to do about a spare,.... rely on the standard small doughnut,.... or is there some ingenious solution to traveling w/ a full size spare?

Thanks again!

Cheers!
~CLK
Old 07-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
CLK... as others who tow with a Touareg have said, it is a phenomenal vehicle for towing an Airstream. I have a 2004 V8 which I towed a 19' Bambi and a 2007 V10 which I now tow a 25FB. The TDI's combine horsepower and torque. If you are shopping, the air suspension is a nice feature for hooking up as you can raise and lower the cars height on uneven terrain. It also allows you to explore many a back road that keeps standard stock vehicles behind. I found the 19" wheels to be useless except for summer street tires. The 18" or 17" tires will give you more options for functional all season or all terrain tires. I do have a full size spare which I carry in a roof top basket. Mainly because I go to a lot of back country areas when towing and even more off road exploring when I get there. Do not want to be stuck in the middle of the desert of Utah 200 miles from a tire dealer on a Sunday with an inflatable donut. The Touaregs tires are not always a ready stock size. But then the only flats I ever had were with the OEM sticky performance 19" tires.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
CLK... as others who tow with a Touareg have said, it is a phenomenal vehicle for towing an Airstream. I have a 2004 V8 which I towed a 19' Bambi and a 2007 V10 which I now tow a 25FB. The TDI's combine horsepower and torque. If you are shopping, the air suspension is a nice feature for hooking up as you can raise and lower the cars height on uneven terrain. It also allows you to explore many a back road that keeps standard stock vehicles behind. I found the 19" wheels to be useless except for summer street tires. The 18" or 17" tires will give you more options for functional all season or all terrain tires. I do have a full size spare which I carry in a roof top basket. Mainly because I go to a lot of back country areas when towing and even more off road exploring when I get there. Do not want to be stuck in the middle of the desert of Utah 200 miles from a tire dealer on a Sunday with an inflatable donut. The Touaregs tires are not always a ready stock size. But then the only flats I ever had were with the OEM sticky performance 19" tires.
Thanks mojo!

I've also read many of your posts, as well - Been very helpful!

Re: The air option for towing - I've read both pro & con. For example, if one uses a good stabilizing setup, then the air option is redundant. However, I can envision how it would make hooking up easier. But aside from using it for anything (off-road traveling) else - is the air option an important enough feature,... to look/wait for a used TDI w/ that option?

Thanks for the info on the wheels/tires! The TDI I'm looking at comes w/ 19"s,... & because it would/will be used mostly for towing - Thne I'll probably look at making changes there.

Re: the spare,... sounds like the roof it is! However, aside from the obvious (blocking the sun) would a sun roof compromise (structurally) doing that in any way.

Finally, what are your thoughts on towing the 25'FB FC w/ the T2 TDI? Has wheelbase been an issue w/ your V10? Also, are you constantly have to concern yourself w/ weight distribution/mgmt?

Thanks again!

Cheers!
~CLK
Old 07-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLK View Post
Thanks mojo!

I've also read many of your posts, as well - Been very helpful!

Re: The air option for towing - I've read both pro & con. For example, if one uses a good stabilizing setup, then the air option is redundant. However, I can envision how it would make hooking up easier. But aside from using it for anything (off-road traveling) else - is the air option an important enough feature,... to look/wait for a used TDI w/ that option?

- Only you can make the decision on the air suspension. It's not available on the 2011, and only a option on the '09 and '10 TDI, so it may be very hard to find on a V6TDI. I did not use a WD hitch when towing the 19' as it was stable with a sway bar. But a larger trailer has more hitch weight which means a WD hitch. VW doesn't recommend them on any of their cars but many have found that it works fine. I now use a Hensley which makes fine adjustments much easier. My hitch weight is 720lbs, about the max I would want to go.

Thanks for the info on the wheels/tires! The TDI I'm looking at comes w/ 19"s,... & because it would/will be used mostly for towing - Thne I'll probably look at making changes there.

Re: the spare,... sounds like the roof it is! However, aside from the obvious (blocking the sun) would a sun roof compromise (structurally) doing that in any way.

-A roof basket is about 48" long which does not cover the sun roof. You'll need crossbars which attach to the siderails which are very stable to hold the basket and spare.

Finally, what are your thoughts on towing the 25'FB FC w/ the T2 TDI? Has wheelbase been an issue w/ your V10? Also, are you constantly have to concern yourself w/ weight distribution/mgmt?

-Wheelbase has not been an issue, in fact the tight turning radius is a blessing getting in and out of tight spots. If you mean by weight management, not bringing a ton of stuff along, yes. I only have a small generator, grill, and a couple of chairs in the back and one passenger. But a V6 TDI is probably similar to a V8 in towing and you may find steep grades an issue with a 25'. That's why I got the V10. But others tow with the V6TDI and say no problem.

Good luck.

Thanks again!

Cheers!
~CLK

Old 07-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
I did not use a WD hitch when towing the 19' as it was stable with a sway bar. But a larger trailer has more hitch weight which means a WD hitch. VW doesn't recommend them on any of their cars but many have found that it works fine. I now use a Hensley which makes fine adjustments much easier. My hitch weight is 720lbs, about the max I would want to go.
Okay. As of now, based on my limited research & knowledge - Using a TDI as a TV,... I'd use a Propride Hitch on a 23'FB FC.

Quote:
-A roof basket is about 48" long which does not cover the sun roof. You'll need crossbars which attach to the siderails which are very stable to hold the basket and spare.
Cool - Do happen to have any pics of your setup?

Quote:
-Wheelbase has not been an issue, in fact the tight turning radius is a blessing getting in and out of tight spots.
That's one of the main reasons I'm looking at the TDI. However, in this instance - My question about wheel base & your 25' FB, had to do w/ the ratio, for safety concerns (I've read people state, bz of the TDIs shorter wb, they'd be hesitant towing anything longer than 25' ,... bz of handling/safety concerns),... & I was curious if you've experienced anything while towing your 25', that made you feel your were close to the edge, in this regard.

Quote:
If you mean by weight management, not bringing a ton of stuff along, yes. I only have a small generator, grill, and a couple of chairs in the back and one passenger.
I'm not a big "stuff" guy,... & probably would/will be doing mostly solo trips. However, I wouldn't want to be always concerned w/ how much propane was in the tanks,... or water,... etc. Or have to relegate myself to only traveling w/ 1/2 full tanks.

This (under utilizing capacity, due to weight), & the towing/handling of the TDI, w/ a 25' vs. 23',... has me leaning towards the 23'. Whether those concerns are justified or not,... is what I'm trying to flesh out.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience & insights - It's appreciated!

Cheers!
~CLK
Old 07-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thanks to John Scheck for his experiences and recommendations. We are thinking of getting a larger Airstream, like the 23' International, but for a few dollars more there is a Flying Cloud 25'. . .

Would also like to tow with a T2 TDI as our TDI Jetta is such a good, stable, economical car.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I LOVE the T-Rex, went with Steel suspension over Air like I had in my V8 Porsche Cayenne S as I knew I was going to require a good hitch ala the Pro Pride and my opinion, they work better without Air (again, learned this on the Cayenne the hard way...)

Also, with my 25FB, was never lacking for power with the diesel, and between my V8 Porsche and Diesel VW engine, the Oil Burner was the hands down winner!!!

As for tires, 19" M&S - the collapsable VW and Cayenne tires are made to take the full weight of the TV to include attached trailer, my opinion, only need full size spare if you are offloading.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #18
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Touareg on 17" wheels with full spare. No 19's or inflatable donuts out here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7905.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	133865  

Old 07-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic