Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 05:43 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The original batteries in my dodge cummins were replaced this year. The truck is a 2006, with low miles. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What bothers me with these type reliability ratings is they don't rate them according to criticality or cost to repair. I mean if the cigaret lighter breaks it counts the same as if the engine blows up or a wheel falls off or if it is something that cost $1000 out of your pocket to fix. Reliability from my perspective is something that leaves me dead on the road and/or costs half what a house costs to fix. My main relaibility concerns are major drive train failures. The rest is pretty much window dressing.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:03 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The charging system in my Dodge Ram is monitored by the ECU so the batteries are not over/under charged by the alternator.
I would suspect that most vehicles built in the last 10 years monitor the charging system closely and batteries now last much longer than they ever did before.

I did get lucky with my 1979 Gravely riding mower because the last battery went 9 years and 11 months and had to replace it last June
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:23 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Hope your back gets better soon so you can get out & enjoy the new Airstream

Ron
16' Sport 2015
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
What bothers me with these type reliability ratings is they don't rate them according to criticality or cost to repair. I mean if the cigaret lighter breaks it counts the same as if the engine blows up or a wheel falls off or if it is something that cost $1000 out of your pocket to fix. Reliability from my perspective is something that leaves me dead on the road and/or costs half what a house costs to fix. My main relaibility concerns are major drive train failures. The rest is pretty much window dressing.

Perry
Perry,

There are other rankings for that. JD Power does Initial quality, 3 and 5 year durability rankings, among others (this one is the 3 year). There is always more detailed information and breakdowns......but you typically have to pay for or subscribe for detail. You have to look for and understand what are the defined characteristics of any particular study and corresponding ranking.

In addition, Vincentric does the total cost of ownership rankings, which are primarily used by fleets.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Still like to know where that 11 year old Toyota battery came from. Lol
George
Well, since the car was made in Japan, I would guess Japan. That's as close as I can get. But the wife's '99 Sienna was built in Georgetown and that battery lasted until late 2012, so who knows? The 4Runner sits outside, the Sienna in the garage. I think you're right, it's just usage and never running them down.

That charge / discharge and keeping them topped off does the trick. I put a cheap ignition battery in the boat, used it 3 months and stored it for the winter. Come spring it was stone dead. I put a Delco in it years and years ago, keep the charger on a timer. It's still going strong.

Here's another tidbit. Years ago, in another life, I was a UPS driver. I delivered to a battery plant in Louisville. You could see them coming off the line: Delco, Die Hard, Amoco, all different brands. I asked one of the guys there, what's the difference? He said plates, quantity and thickness. He said buy the heaviest battery you can find.

Now, that was in the 70s, can't say if it holds true today or even if he was right. But it was interesting to see all those different brands coming off the same line. For a lead acid battery, I like Deka. It's a privately owned company and largest single battery plant in the world. I put one in the Sienna, that's 2 years down, let's see how long it lasts.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
its no surprise to see Ford left off the list. My Expedition is suffering from the spark plug breakage syndrome that plaques Fords. The local shop broke all 8 on removal and one fell into the cylinder. I had it towed to the Dealership yesterday and waiting for the word from them today.
That problem has been around for many years and is still an issue. Love the truck when its running right.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Another big factor in battery longevity is how hot it gets. my indie mechanic said I might want to replace the battery even though it seemed fine after 10 years in my '01 BMW Z3. So I did because he had a bunch of OEM batteries at a discount. I've never, ever had that kind of battery longevity in 45 years of vehicle ownership. The difference is that, for weight distribution, the battery is in the trunk, where it stays nice and cool. The kind of heat you'll find in today's jam-packed engine compartments is not kind to batteries.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richfield , Ohio
I also worked at GM dealerships for over 20 years on and off starting in the mid 70's.
Initially we in the service department would constantly complain about the build quality and the lack of reliability of many components. Now it is the exact opposite. The complaint now is there is not enough warranty work and the maintenance has been cut to just oil changes and tire rotations. Brakes are lasting much longer and overhauling or rebuilding of everything else such as starters, alternators, carbs, water pumps, steering linkage, spark plugs and ignition components, and just about everything else are no longer done on a routine basis.
GM is now building some of the best vehicles made. Try one, you will like it!
I have a '09 Silverado with the 6.0L max tow package. It has 367hp to the ground and tows my 31' Soveriegn with ease, but I can't wait to get the new max tow package with the 6.2L and 420hp. You can never have too much horsepower!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Johnson Controls makes a huge number of the battery brands

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
its no surprise to see Ford left off the list. My Expedition is suffering from the spark plug breakage syndrome that plaques Fords. The local shop broke all 8 on removal and one fell into the cylinder. I had it towed to the Dealership yesterday and waiting for the word from them today.
That problem has been around for many years and is still an issue. Love the truck when its running right.
My guess is that your "local shop" didn't have a clue as to the process of removing your 5.4 plugs. Even going on Youtube will give you an idea of the process, especially if it's the first time the plugs have been changed. After 2002, the 5.4 and 6.8 Triton engines have not had that problem with plugs breaking or spitting, but one still needs to follow the right steps and use the right tools. The other thing to remember that Ford sells more F series trucks than nearly all of the other 2 combined, there's bound to be a few more issues that show up. Ford can't be doing too many bad things or their numbers would reflect it.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I really believe GMC and Chevrolet are exactly the same- come down the same assembly line- the workers put GMC emblems on some of them, and Chevrolet emblems on others.
If anyone has any doubts, come see me at work. We'll walk the yard full of GMC's and Chevy's. The only way to tell the difference is the badging. They are otherwise identical. Engines, transmissions, rear ends, wheels, tires, seats, steering wheels, radios, dashes- identical-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I really believe GMC and Chevrolet are exactly the same- come down the same assembly line- the workers put GMC emblems on some of them, and Chevrolet emblems on others.
If anyone has any doubts, come see me at work. We'll walk the yard full of GMC's and Chevy's. The only way to tell the difference is the badging. They are otherwise identical. Engines, transmissions, rear ends, wheels, tires, seats, steering wheels, radios, dashes- identical-

Actually the bodywork is all different.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Not between the Chevy Express/GMC Savana- unless you count the grill which is slightly different looking and totally interchangeable from one to another.
The 2007 Classic and back body style pickups might have a different front bumper/grill/headlights, but that is the only difference. The 2007 and up have slightly different fenders, hoods, and bed skins in addition to the grill/headlights/bumper.
The Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade are even closer kin than the pickups.
It's like back in the days of the Pontiac Parisienne/Chevy Caprice/Oldsmobile Delta 88- the Parisienne/Caprice were nearly identical except for trim.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Johnson Controls makes a huge number of the battery brands
That's them, that's who I used to deliver to. They are/were on Fern Valley Rd in Louisville.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Johnson Controls makes Optima batteries- in Mexico-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
My guess is that your "local shop" didn't have a clue as to the process of removing your 5.4 plugs. Even going on Youtube will give you an idea of the process, especially if it's the first time the plugs have been changed. After 2002, the 5.4 and 6.8 Triton engines have not had that problem with plugs breaking or spitting, but one still needs to follow the right steps and use the right tools. The other thing to remember that Ford sells more F series trucks than nearly all of the other 2 combined, there's bound to be a few more issues that show up. Ford can't be doing too many bad things or their numbers would reflect it.

Hi, I was going to mention that, about replacing the spark plugs. At one time, Ford said all aluminum head engines must be cold when replacing the plugs or the threads would pull out. One of the Ford mechanics told me that on the new 5.0 V-8 the engine has to be hot when changing the plugs. My Lincoln has 123,000 miles and the original plugs are still in it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
Another big factor in battery longevity is how hot it gets. my indie mechanic said I might want to replace the battery even though it seemed fine after 10 years in my '01 BMW Z3. So I did because he had a bunch of OEM batteries at a discount. I've never, ever had that kind of battery longevity in 45 years of vehicle ownership. The difference is that, for weight distribution, the battery is in the trunk, where it stays nice and cool. The kind of heat you'll find in today's jam-packed engine compartments is not kind to batteries.

Hi, I think you might have a point there; My wife's 2005 BMW X-3 still has the original battery in it. The battery is located under the floor in back.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:19 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Before 2003 there was 3/8" of threads. In 2003 they added way more. Take your choice, stripped threads or stuck plugs that break trying to get them out.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:32 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I've always heard that the 5.4 plugs could be removed by repeatedly loosening a little, tightening a little to break the carbon from the threads. This procedure will prevent stripping/breaking the plug socket. Also, there is an insert availed at the parts house to repair the problem if it happens. It's amazing how many mechanics don't know the procedure. I know several F150 owners who were aware of the problem, so took the trucks to a Ford dealer for plugs because the Ford dealer mechanics knew how to remove the plugs without breaking the head.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955