Old 05-13-2015, 01:06 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
If we ever live closer to a Lexus dealer, maybe we'll buy a Lexus.
Maybe we should buy a Lexus anyway and get it serviced at the Toyota place.
I really don't think there's a nickel's worth of difference between a Lexus 3.5liter V6 and a Toyota 3.5 liter V6.
I also don't think there's much difference in the power window/door lock/mirror switches, wiper/washer switches, cruise control switches, steering wheel controls, stereos, gear shift levers, and random switches for other things like traction control or moonroof.
The tires are probably the same. Brakes and transmissions are the same or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Toyota/Lexus actually evaluates vehicle designs using criteria that include the "number of unique components." The goal being FEWER unique components across all vehicles. Of course that evaluation is balanced by the goal of creating unique enough vehicles - as whole entities - that customers recognize and pay for difference. Fewer unique components equals not only lower cost, but less complexity in design/engineering, supply chain and in manufacturing/assembly. Less complexity equals more reliability - for many reasons.

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367

Old 05-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Maybe they think people are less observant-
I don't know that I've ever been in a Lexus, but I can spot so many identical components in my 2007 Tundra and 2014 Avalon.
The "uniqueness" is that one's a sedan snd ones a pickup-
There are so many cars that resemble the Avalon- or the Avalon resembles them- Chrysler 200, Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata, Cadillac ATS- not much "uniqueness" happenin' there-
The Tundra, on the other hand, looks like they took a GM, Ford, and Ram and put them in a Shake 'n' Bake bag- very unique-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Maybe they think people are less observant-
I don't know that I've ever been in a Lexus, but I can spot so many identical components in my 2007 Tundra and 2014 Avalon.
The "uniqueness" is that one's a sedan snd ones a pickup-
There are so many cars that resemble the Avalon- or the Avalon resembles them- Chrysler 200, Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata, Cadillac ATS- not much "uniqueness" happenin' there-
The Tundra, on the other hand, looks like they took a GM, Ford, and Ram and put them in a Shake 'n' Bake bag- very unique-

So YOUR vehicle is unique, but other, more gullible, non-observant people, bought "unique-less" vehicles? You realize your Tundra was designed specifically to look more like every other pickup on the road? When Toyota redesigned the vehicle to look more like the steroid enhanced, bloated designs of their completion than the previous iteration of the Tundra, sales soared.

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
Old 05-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #116

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Top 10 Most Reliable Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I don't ever want a vehicle with 200,000 miles on it; It may still be running, but the rest of the vehicle will be a miserable piece of junk. And those who brag that their Diesels will last for 350,000 to 500,000 miles are a glutton for punishment. Now if you are dirt poor and can only afford to own one vehicle for fifty years, then that's a different story.

My experience with high mileage vehicles has not been as you describe. I currently have two gassers with 250K + miles and they are reliable, and used with high frequency. One is my primary TV.

When I was a broke college kid I had several 1960's era 300K mileage vehicles that required work but they were reliable enough and taught me the value and gratification of turning a wrench versus paying a mechanic.

Me, I see no redeeming value in buying a new vehicle when the current one(s) are still reliable and require no major service or repairs that would question the economics of replacement.

I am not dirt poor, but buying new automobiles just because of high mileage is akin to throwing away money. The person that buys my 100K mileage car can easily add another 2nd 100K on the odo while I deal with higher taxes, insurance, etc. that results from my "supposed" need to have a new ride.

Just my 0.2 cents.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
So YOUR vehicle is unique, but other, more gullible, non-observant people, bought "unique-less" vehicles? You realize your Tundra was designed specifically to look more like every other pickup on the road? When Toyota redesigned the vehicle to look more like the steroid enhanced, bloated designs of their completion than the previous iteration of the Tundra, sales soared.

Uh-
I think you missed my point. I said in my post that the Tundra looked like the GM, Ford, and Ram combined. I have always thought that.
I was responding to the post that Toyota and Lexus are not the same- that Lexus tries to make "unique" vehicles that do not share components- pointing out that new Toyota sedan and old Toyota pickup had many identical components.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Uh-
I think you missed my point. I said in my post that the Tundra looked like the GM, Ford, and Ram combined. I have always thought that.
I was responding to the post that Toyota and Lexus are not the same- that Lexus tries to make "unique" vehicles that do not share components- pointing out that new Toyota sedan and old Toyota pickup had many identical components.

Sorry m. I did miss your point!
Old 05-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The car is not unique at all- there are a half a dozen others by different manufacturers that look similar.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, I don't ever want a vehicle with 200,000 miles on it; It may still be running, but the rest of the vehicle will be a miserable piece of junk. And those who brag that their Diesels will last for 350,000 to 500,000 miles are a glutton for punishment. Now if you are dirt poor and can only afford to own one vehicle for fifty years, then that's a different story.
Quote:
Not necessarily so- we have had many vehicles with 200,000-400,000 miles that were in really good shape. The only indication of high miles is the odometer, but they still ride and drive as new. My boss has a 1953 Chevy 3100 pickup restored in the 90's that still drives as new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
My experience with high mileage vehicles has not been as you describe. I currently have two gassers with 250K + miles and they are reliable, and used with high frequency. One is my primary TV.

When I was a broke college kid I had several 1960's era 300K mileage vehicles that required work but they were reliable enough and taught me the value and gratification of turning a wrench versus paying a mechanic.

Me, I see no redeeming value in buying a new vehicle when the current one(s) are still reliable and require no major service or repairs that would question the economics of replacement.

I am not dirt poor, but buying new automobiles just because of high mileage is akin to throwing away money. The person that buys my 100K mileage car can easily add another 2nd 100K on the odo while I deal with higher taxes, insurance, etc. that results from my "supposed" need to have a new ride.

Just my 0.2 cents.
Hi, I guess that you guys missed my point; I have worked at new car dealers since 1968. I have worked on Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, GMC, and Toyota cars and trucks. At high mileage and age things start falling apart. Dashboards crack, Power windows stop working, window motors quit, various lights and light switches go bad, seat seams come apart, body and exhaust systems rust out, shocks leak, clocks stop, radios fail, gauges fail, suspension parts are worn, steering gears wear out, air conditioners fail, heater cores leak. freeze plugs leak, radiators clog, And the list is never ending, BUT you can still drive this vehicle. My job at the dealer was to repair these items and more, so I have seen them all first hand.

My Lincoln is 15 years old and still runs and drives pretty decent, but there is a cut in a seat cover. I replaced two plastic dash board parts due to age and breaking. I repaired a broken plastic dash part. I have a padded dash seam that has shrunk up and opened.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My Nissan Pathfinder is 16 years old. No rips/tears in the seats. No cracked dash.
It is showing its age, though. Little plastic retainers/clips rot and break. Those things are very inexpensive and can be bought at any auto parts store in the Help! brand.
My Mazda B2000 never got any cracks in the dash, but the seat cover disintegrated. I got seats from a newer truck.
We have a fleet of 400 vehicles, mostly GM, many with over 400,000 miles. No cracked dashes. We have replaced many seat covers and foam cushions.
It is cheaper to keep her.
Maybe where you are geographically effects how long your car's interior will last. Maybe some environments are harsher. Here in Mississippi, rust is not an issue, but maybe cars rust in the northern snowy climates. If you crawl under my '99 it still looks new.
Mu point is that I have driven vehicles with more than 500,000. miles with like new interiors.
A 250,000 mile vehicle in Mississippi can look new. I've owned them.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Top 10 Most Reliable Vehicles

Well here is my position in a nutshell, a 50, 60, or $70K tow vehicle is a proposition that is close to insanity.

My 21K very basic 2008 1/2 ton is likely to be the very last new vehicle I will ever own. Things have gotten way out of hand, I make this stand on principle.

Same with a new Airstream, too much money, too much depreciation. I looked at new Airstreams a couple a three years ago, and at this point By not buying new I have paid for my trailer and its rebuild on what I would have thrown away on depreciation.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Amen, brother!
"Paid for" trumps all. Holding the title feels good- real good-
Paid for, 46,000 miles, AND new tires-
Win, win, win!

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #124
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Agree with the gentlemen above. $27K cash in hand, out the door with the title, got a 2010 and very happy with it. Truck is used, Airstream is used, and I'm not paying someone interest. I'll laugh myself to the bank on my choice.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:03 AM   #125

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
My Lincoln is 15 years old and still runs and drives pretty decent, but there is a cut in a seat cover. I replaced two plastic dash board parts due to age and breaking. I repaired a broken plastic dash part. I have a padded dash seam that has shrunk up and opened.

These issues aren't "high mileage" issues, they are age issues. Old vehicles require repairs due to age deterioration, weathering, or UV exposure. This can occur on a 25 year old automobile with 25,000 miles on the odo just as easily as the same automobile with 250,000 miles.

Yes things wear out as the miles increase and things need to be repaired or replaced. To me mechanical integrity is of primary importance, cosmetic items are not so big a deal.

I just put $750 in front suspension components and a salvage yard differential in an 03 F150 with 251,000 miles. Throw in $800 for new BFG tires and another $300 for an O2 sensor, (proprietary Ford) vacuum hose and some fuel system service and she runs and rides like new. That's $1,850 in the past six months which is the first repair and maintenance other than regular oil changes since 2012. A bargain compared to buying a new TV.

Recent data shows the average car payment is $482 per month with an average loan period of 66 months.
That puts my repair costs in the order of less than four average car payments in the last 23 months.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ment/24363041/

At those terms I can live with the maintenance and normal wear and tear. I understand where you're coming from but to each their own.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:07 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, two vehicles bought slightly used, [Lincoln & BMW] less than 20,000 miles on them and two bought new; [Airstream & F-150] No payments on any of them.

Note: for an extra $1,000.00 discount, I paid three payments on my F-150.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote