Old 04-03-2015, 12:27 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
its no surprise to see Ford left off the list. My Expedition is suffering from the spark plug breakage syndrome that plaques Fords. The local shop broke all 8 on removal and one fell into the cylinder. I had it towed to the Dealership yesterday and waiting for the word from them today.
That problem has been around for many years and is still an issue. Love the truck when its running right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
My guess is that your "local shop" didn't have a clue as to the process of removing your 5.4 plugs. Even going on Youtube will give you an idea of the process, especially if it's the first time the plugs have been changed. After 2002, the 5.4 and 6.8 Triton engines have not had that problem with plugs breaking or spitting, but one still needs to follow the right steps and use the right tools. The other thing to remember that Ford sells more F series trucks than nearly all of the other 2 combined, there's bound to be a few more issues that show up. Ford can't be doing too many bad things or their numbers would reflect it.

Hi, I was going to mention that, about replacing the spark plugs. At one time, Ford said all aluminum head engines must be cold when replacing the plugs or the threads would pull out. One of the Ford mechanics told me that on the new 5.0 V-8 the engine has to be hot when changing the plugs. My Lincoln has 123,000 miles and the original plugs are still in it.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:29 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
Another big factor in battery longevity is how hot it gets. my indie mechanic said I might want to replace the battery even though it seemed fine after 10 years in my '01 BMW Z3. So I did because he had a bunch of OEM batteries at a discount. I've never, ever had that kind of battery longevity in 45 years of vehicle ownership. The difference is that, for weight distribution, the battery is in the trunk, where it stays nice and cool. The kind of heat you'll find in today's jam-packed engine compartments is not kind to batteries.

Hi, I think you might have a point there; My wife's 2005 BMW X-3 still has the original battery in it. The battery is located under the floor in back.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:19 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
My guess is that your "local shop" didn't have a clue as to the process of removing your 5.4 plugs. Even going on Youtube will give you an idea of the process, especially if it's the first time the plugs have been changed. After 2002, the 5.4 and 6.8 Triton engines have not had that problem with plugs breaking or spitting, but one still needs to follow the right steps and use the right tools. The other thing to remember that Ford sells more F series trucks than nearly all of the other 2 combined, there's bound to be a few more issues that show up. Ford can't be doing too many bad things or their numbers would reflect it.
Before 2003 there was 3/8" of threads. In 2003 they added way more. Take your choice, stripped threads or stuck plugs that break trying to get them out.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:32 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I've always heard that the 5.4 plugs could be removed by repeatedly loosening a little, tightening a little to break the carbon from the threads. This procedure will prevent stripping/breaking the plug socket. Also, there is an insert availed at the parts house to repair the problem if it happens. It's amazing how many mechanics don't know the procedure. I know several F150 owners who were aware of the problem, so took the trucks to a Ford dealer for plugs because the Ford dealer mechanics knew how to remove the plugs without breaking the head.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:37 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
On F150 being the #1 selling vehicle- do they count GMC and Chevrolet together or separately? Might not matter either way- they may sell more F150's than GMc's and Chevy's combined-
I have heard that for years, but you cannot tell locally. There are more Chevy's here.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Most of the problem with spark plugs is they are left in there for 100k miles and they weld in there. I don't know why Ford has so many problems with plugs. I think that 90% of it is the cone shaped seat that tends to weld together. I have been removing spark plugs on motorcycles and Japanese cars for several decades and never had a problem but they were all the standard crush washer type plugs. These were all aluminum heads. Platinum plugs are typically left in for 100k miles but the bad side is they have years to corrode and weld in there. I did not have problems removing the plugs on my 95 ranger even after 190k miles. Why did I wait so long, well it has two plugs per cylinder so I was not real worried. I always put antiseize on new plug threads.

This is America. You are supposed to keep a car for 2 yrs and sell it and get a new one. 100k miles is just a silly notion. Who would put that many miles on a car?

Perry
Old 04-03-2015, 07:06 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I've always heard that the 5.4 plugs could be removed by repeatedly loosening a little, tightening a little to break the carbon from the threads. This procedure will prevent stripping/breaking the plug socket. Also, there is an insert availed at the parts house to repair the problem if it happens. It's amazing how many mechanics don't know the procedure. I know several F150 owners who were aware of the problem, so took the trucks to a Ford dealer for plugs because the Ford dealer mechanics knew how to remove the plugs without breaking the head.
A lot of aware owners went to the dealer to get new plugs put in before the warranty expired and they said no unless the motor was misfiring.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
On F150 being the #1 selling vehicle- do they count GMC and Chevrolet together or separately? Might not matter either way- they may sell more F150's than GMc's and Chevy's combined-
I have heard that for years, but you cannot tell locally. There are more Chevy's here.
They are counted separately so ford can win.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Seems GM outsold Ford in March

If you go to this page : Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com Then to the last chart of data on the page, you will see GM outsold Ford in total units and in light trucks in March of this year.

When you combine Chevy and GMC they outsold Ford, but the Ford F series is still the leading seller.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
If you go to this page : Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com Then to the last chart of data on the page, you will see GM outsold Ford in total units and in light trucks in March of this year.

When you combine Chevy and GMC they outsold Ford, but the Ford F series is still the leading seller.
This issue has always come down to verbiage, marketing (public belief) and legal-eze.

For example, this month Ford can say the F150 is "best selling brand", but can't say they are the "best selling truck".

When they out sell Chev AND GMC they can say they are the "best selling truck".

Cease and desist orders are filed occasionally. Especially when they try and say "best selling truck for XXX years running".

But, effective market is about perception, so even if they have to cease and desist, the public perception is planted.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the dealer charge only 400 to change all the plugs.. It was putting back together what the previous guys had taken apart that cost me. And today I still have a miss but on a different cylinder than the one that started all this a week ago. Baaah!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Here are a few thousand reasons why Ford has the top selling pickup truck, not to fan this fire, of course.

Chevrolet Silverado Recall Information - Autoblog
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Well, don't forget the 220,000 Ford Recalls: Ford Recall Information - Autoblog
Old 04-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Here are a few thousand reasons why Ford has the top selling pickup truck, not to fan this fire, of course.

Chevrolet Silverado Recall Information - Autoblog
An ignition switch is nothing compared to fords cylinder head problems.