Old 03-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I think the Buicks they are making these days look pretty good. In the past I wouldn't have given GM a thought but it seems they must have a new designer on board. I also like the styling of the newest Impala. Lots of competition among the mainstream brands - all seem to be pretty good. I don't care much for the off-brands.

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Consumer Reports lists Lexus #1 and Toyota #2, which is odd because they are the same company.
While they are the same company, there is a difference in assembly and parts, among other things. For example, there is a given time to do your individual assembly step. For Toyota the time is much shorted than for the Lexus. When you have more time to do your job, you can do a better job, especially when the next person down the line is critiquing your work.

In parts there is not necessarily a difference in quality but perhaps a difference in the defect rate. For a Toyota (just throwing out some numbers here) one defect in 100 may be acceptable while for a Lexus the defect rate may be one in 500. The manufacturer will pay more for the part with a lower defect rate but the reliability will be higher (and the vehicle cost).

I think the quality for all cars has improved significantly because of reports like these. The consumer has really benefited from the competition.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
lanark , Ontario
still waiting for my new GMC Sierra 6.2 Max tow. The dealed has been invoiced and it has shipped. It should arrive late next week. The Easter Bunny never lets you down! Have beed a G.M. guy all my life and also lived through the ups and downs. Am a retired Caterpillar Rep so I understand the things that can get in the way of greatness. I have always worked with my dealer and when required the local G.M. rep and have been very happy with the level of attention to customer satisfaction that I received. Perhaps based upon my background, my expectations were reasonable so my results were attainable. Looking forward to hooking up the '31 to the new pick up and see what the 420 H.P. and 460Lbs/ft feel like.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It also has to do with dealer service. Premium car dealers offer premium service.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Some Lexus/Toyota cars come down the same assembly line- Lexus GS350/Toyota Camry/Toyota Avalon are basically the same- made from the same parts-
Lexus LX570/Toyota Sequioa/Toyota Tundra share many parts- engine, transmission-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-31-2015, 05:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
still waiting for my new GMC Sierra 6.2 Max tow. The dealed has been invoiced and it has shipped. It should arrive late next week. The Easter Bunny never lets you down! Have beed a G.M. guy all my life and also lived through the ups and downs. Am a retired Caterpillar Rep so I understand the things that can get in the way of greatness. I have always worked with my dealer and when required the local G.M. rep and have been very happy with the level of attention to customer satisfaction that I received. Perhaps based upon my background, my expectations were reasonable so my results were attainable. Looking forward to hooking up the '31 to the new pick up and see what the 420 H.P. and 460Lbs/ft feel like.
Will be very interested to hear of your experiences with the new TV.

George
Old 03-31-2015, 06:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Some Lexus/Toyota cars come down the same assembly line- Lexus GS350/Toyota Camry/Toyota Avalon are basically the same- made from the same parts-
Lexus LX570/Toyota Sequioa/Toyota Tundra share many parts- engine, transmission-
The Avalon is made only in Georgetown and the Camry is made (mostly) there also, although some Camrys can be made in Japan and they were made at the Subaru plant in Indiana. Sequoia is made at the Indiana plant with some models of Tundra and the Sienna. The other (big) Tundras are made in Texas. Except for the Lexus RS models made in Canada, all Lexus models are currently made in Japan. But one model (I forget which, a sedan) will be made in Georgetown on its own line, but not with any Toyota models. Construction is currently underway for that line. Engines are made in Alabama (V8) and West Virginia (4 cyl and V6). Georgetown has its own engine assembly plant for 4 cyl and V6 used in the Camry, V6 for Avalon and Venza. Transmissions are made in West Virginia and Japan.

Even where some Toyota models (Avalon, Camry, Venza) come down the same line, some parts (screws, washers, etc.) may be the same but major components, like engines, are tweaked for that model. Lexus parts come from some shared suppliers but the parts will be different. Things like fuel tanks, pipes etc. must be formed to fit each model. There really isn't as much crossover as you would think.

SUVs are made in Japan, except Sequoia. 4Runners and GX450 are made on the same line and share the same engine and frame, Land Cruiser and LX470 I think share the same line but different plant than 4Runner / GX450. Even so, engine tweaking and transmission differences still are present.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 04-01-2015, 05:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
So, what you're saying is:
There is more difference in Lexus/Toyota then there is between GMC/Chevrolet or Lincoln/Ford-
My Tundra was manufactured in Indiana. I thought they had since moved all Tundra production to Texas. My Avalon was manufactured in Georgetown, KY. I considered a Blue Springs, MS Corolla, but the Corolla was just too small,and bouncy. The Corollas leave the factory in Mississippi, ride right past a dealership (or 2 or 3) on a truck going to the distribution center in Texas (San Antonio?) just to ride another truck back to a dealership it just passed. Many products we buy may go through the same process.
I will never know if a Lexus is really any better. Driving a #2 or #3 (depending on whose list you look at) Toyota is good enough for me.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have had Lexus SUVs, made in Japan - never and issue with either. We have now had three four runners all 100% made in Japan - never an issue with any of the five vehicles, which I find interesting. We are now on our third AS, the first two, never an issue, due to a broken back have not used the new one, hope to soon and will see if it's as reliable as the first two.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
May made-in-Japan Nissan Pathfinder has been lack-luster in comfort and reliability, so I'm sticking with Toyota. If I veer off the Toyota path, it will be for a Honda Odyssey.
Never a problem with the Tundra or Avalon. The 2007 Tundra even has the original battery-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
So, what you're saying is:
There is more difference in Lexus/Toyota then there is between GMC/Chevrolet or Lincoln/Ford-
My Tundra was manufactured in Indiana. I thought they had since moved all Tundra production to Texas. My Avalon was manufactured in Georgetown, KY. I considered a Blue Springs, MS Corolla, but the Corolla was just too small,and bouncy. The Corollas leave the factory in Mississippi, ride right past a dealership (or 2 or 3) on a truck going to the distribution center in Texas (San Antonio?) just to ride another truck back to a dealership it just passed. Many products we buy may go through the same process.
I will never know if a Lexus is really any better. Driving a #2 or #3 (depending on whose list you look at) Toyota is good enough for me.
I can't speak to GMC/Chevy or Lincoln/Ford. I can tell you that Toyota is VERY protective of the Lexus badge and they are very distinct from the Toyota badge. The RX300 was the first Lexus built outside of Japan and went to the Canadian plant where production is lower. The Georgetown plant is the home of the Avalon (flagship) and Camry (primary build location). Again, one Lexus model will have its own assembly line in Georgetown and it actually has it's own engineering crew and offices. I know, because our section got kicked out of it to make way for them. The new assembly line took half of our parking area :-(

The largest Tundras are built in San Antonio, Texas, smaller ones in Princeton, IN. Sienna had to move from Georgetown because the new length was too long to fit on the line with the cars built there. Sequoia and Sienna were at Indiana first, then they added the Tundra. I thought they were going to add another vehicle but I haven't heard anything.

All vehicles, at the end of the assembly line at final inspection, are taken by Toyota Motor Sales. They drive them from final to the distribution point close by (it's a rail head in Georgetown, how's that for low tech?). From there they go to the closest port where additional items may be added (spoilers, special order items, floor mats (I think) etc. From there they go to the dealerships for more add-ons, like pin striping and extra chrome trim. It's really an interesting process from the time you walk into a dealership until you pick up the vehicle.

I got my son a 2012 Corolla. It's great for in town trips and certainly much larger than my 1991 Camry, which I still have. But the ride is much stiffer, as you say. I don't know where the port for the Mississippi plant is. (That was going to be the hybrid Highlander plant until the economy tanked.) Distribution of vehicles is all handled by Toyota Motor Sales. Financing is handled by Toyota Financial Services. When you say "Toyota" you're speaking in the aggregate of a lot of different companies.

I used to have a '77 Oldsmobile with a 350 V8. I pulled a 1,500 lb boat. My friend had a '75 Corolla with a 4 cyl. He pulled a 1,700 lb boat. After my 5th transmission rebuild in the Olds I started thinking that maybe I should look elsewhere. (He gave his son that Corolla, all original, including clutch, at 120,000. His son totaled it within 6 months)

I bought an '89 Toyota pickup (no model name yet) and later a 2,300 lb Ranger boat. I put 193,000 miles on the original clutch, which was just starting to slip on the boat ramps. (In order to get the torque up, I had to ride/smoke the clutch to pull the boat out.) The only other parts were the right caliper and the radiator. I sold it to my brother who ran it to 230,000 miles and we've lost track of it now.

I've purchased 5 Toyotas, still own 4 of them (wish I hadn't sold the pickup). I know the quality of other cars has really improved but I'm sticking with Toyota. I've never had a bad one, never had one let me down.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 04-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Are you a Toyota executive? Can you get me a discount?
I'm with you on the "only Toyotas" thing.
When we bought the Avalon, we only looked at Toyotas and Toyota dealerships. I only wanted Classic Silver with black leather. We "settled" for an Avalon 'cause I ain't ready to "tote that note" on a Sienna ($35,000) or Honda Odyssey ($37,000). I got a discount on a left-over 2014. It is still brand new with 2 years/25,000 miles oil changes and tire rotations.
I am very familiar with Toyota Financial Services. I owe my soul to them for 59 more months. I got 0% financing on the new Avalon. The Tundra was also financed through TFS. Toward the end of the note, they start sending offers/invitations to finance another one-
We are losing weight. We are on the "new car payment and insurance" diet. It has to come from somewhere in the budget, so we buy less groceries-
Doctor said to lose 20# anyway-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
The 2007 Tundra even has the original battery
My 2004 4Runner still has the original battery, still starts at -16F. The 1999 Sienna (wife's) finally got a new battery in late 2012. I just put a new Toyota battery in the old 1991 Camry. Is that a commitment? Turn that key and it fires right up, even at -16 F.

Quote:
Are you a Toyota executive? Can you get me a discount?
No, not an executive, just an IT person. Also sorry, close family only . Besides, I don't get much of one anyway, but at least I don't have to haggle to get it. When I bought my 4Runner, the replacement window guy shows up in a 4Runner just like mine, only he got the sun roof too! Paid the same price as me; not fair.

Quote:
We are losing weight. We are on the "new car payment and insurance" diet. It has to come from somewhere in the budget, so we buy less groceries-Doctor said to lose 20# anyway-
We're on the 'last son in college' diet. But I agree on the cost of the vehicles. I think I'm done with new ones now. Next time I'll go with a certified used one, probably a Tundra like you have; nice ride. The wife wants to keep the '99 Sienna, which has yet to break 100K. We've had that out west, Florida, Canada and lots of other places. The ride is still as nice as it was when it was newer (got it used).

Yep, great vehicles

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 04-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I guess being a GM guy through and through, my only interest would be in who supplies Toyota's batteries?lol

George