Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Took the plunge. I'm a diesel head now

I just couldn't take the "if I'm lucky I get 9mpg towing" anymore. I posted a question here a few weeks back, and asked all of you diesel heads out there what kind of mpg's you were getting, both towing and non. It influenced me to where I traded my 2012 gas 2500 for a 2012 diesel 2500.
Man oh MAN what a difference! It's a BEAST! That's her new name: Triple B or Big Black BEAST!
I went thru the mountains of Asheville on my way home from TN. Effortless going up. I wasn't towing, but it was smooth sailing. I got 21.4 mpg's on the way home. Sure beats 15 mpg! So glad I was a mechanic in the military and worked on lots of diesel engines. I have much to learn, but boy do I LOVE opening that hood. Just got my camper top put back on today, but we hope to get Eloise attached to her this wknd. I just spent HOURS getting my Reese WD hitch just about perfect. Oh well..worth the work IMHO!
Thanks again for answering my questions about diesels. It definitely had an influence. Here she is...
See yall down the road!
Gavin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2276.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	245690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2278.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	245691  

FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Yup, the big torque number is nice. I test drove a Mercedes Blutec last week and it too was impressive.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The only thing that would have made it better is if was a Ford... Just kidding...Just kidding... That's a beautiful truck. You will no doubt get better mpg but the whole towing experience will a lot more enjoyable. Envying the camper top. I put the flip back bed cover on my Ford and wished I had of gone with the camper top.
Enjoy your travels.
Dave
firstwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Besides the enviable mileage, you are gonna love the torque. As a motor builder told me many years ago: Horsepower is the potential to get things done -- torque gets things done!
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I had that duramax diesel in my 2011 GMC & loved it, needed new tires at 42k miles so decided to trade for a f-250 power stroke diesel & liked that even better. When I sold my 36ft TT I decided to sell the f-250 as I know longer needed it. Now pulling my AS with a RAM 1500 Ecodiesel & ditto, love it. You're right, we are diesel heads!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I too am a first time diesel head. 2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab SLT. We also drove a 2015 Chevy LT CC Duramax. There were things about the Chevy I liked more than the Ram and vice versa.
After test driving both I felt the Ram drove more like a 1/2T, the steering seemed more responsive or lighter than the Chevy. The Chevy felt like a bigger truck and I guess it is; the WB is slightly longer as is the bed than the Ram. The Ram cloth seats were more comfortable for us. I liked the audio quality of the radio of the Ram than the Chevy despite changing the settings on the Chevy. I preferred the DEF filler to behind the fuel door of the Ram vs the engine compartment of the Chevy. I was probably more in favor of the Duramax/Allison combination after driving both. The Duramax is a little bit quieter and smoother idling than the Cummins but both at cruising speed at 70mph were about the same. I like the towing mirror set up on the Ram better than the Chevy. We like the fold down rear seat level floor and center console on the Ram better than the 40/20/40 Chevy front seat and the uneven rear seat floor. The Ram has a dedicated DEF level gauge on the instrument cluster.
The Chevy was a couple of thousand dollars more than the Ram. I don't like the Ram is assembled in Mexico vs the US.
We probably won't put many miles on our new Ram since its not a daily driver until we can start extensive travels in a few years. It will probably reach 3 years before we are even close to putting 20k miles on it.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Congrats on your Duramax Chevy... she's beautiful. And I know how nice they are... just got one ourselves not too long ago and LOVE it! Today's diesels are awesome.

DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Congrats on the new truck. Towing will be even sweeter

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Wow, what a nice combination you have! I'd love to know your experiences and MPG towing the AS.
I have a 2014 25' Flying Cloud which I tow with a 2007 Jeep GCherokee Diesel (3.0 L Mercedes CRD). I have towed it for a combined total of only 3000 miles and my overall result is 16.0 MPG. The Jeep seems all too happy to pull but I am a bit concerned about the tongue weight on the rear end of the Jeep. Any ideas?
phawk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Congratulations. First time diesel head here too. Got the 2015 F250, "Beast", to tow our 2015 27FB Signature, "Beauty". 440 HP and 860 ft/lbs. We put a tall SnugTop shell on the bed and have the benefits of an SUV combined. I can keep my generators and gas can under the shell with a window open a bit.
I drove an F150 for years and had one experience coming down from Mosquito Flats in the Sierras west of Lake Crowley in Calif. where my brakes overheated (no trailer). Had to downshift and ultimately had to use the parking brakes to come to a stop. With my diesel I just use the exhaust brake coming downhill.
Great gas mileage. We get 15.1 mpg towing regularly but we stick to the max Calif towing speed of 55 (and love it - so relaxing).
RPVEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yes, the diesel exhaust brake is fantastic for those long, steep grades. You will love that.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Thanks Everyone

I appreciate the kind comments. We're happy to welcome the Triple B home.
Really looking forward to seeing how she does with Eloise attached.
DHart, one of these days buddy, the two of us are going to sit down and enjoy an ICRB together. I still say the picture you took of your truck should be on the GMC web page. She's a beaut!
phawk, Not sure what to tell you on the 25 tongue weight. Hard to get around it, that's for sure. The MB diesel has gotten some very good reviews. Thats a solid engine.
Now that I know who has diesels around here, don't be surprised to see a PM in your inbox as I am sure I will have questions.
Thanks again everyone, and safe travels to all.
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHatteras View Post
I appreciate the kind comments. We're happy to welcome the Triple B home.
Really looking forward to seeing how she does with Eloise attached.
DHart, one of these days buddy, the two of us are going to sit down and enjoy an ICRB together. I still say the picture you took of your truck should be on the GMC web page. She's a beaut!

Thanks again everyone, and safe travels to all.
Gavin
Gavin... thanks for appreciating the images.

Would be very happy to visit and enjoy an ICRB with you! We love NC. (Gotta visit the Biltmore again - just love that area!) Next time we get over there, we'll let you know!

Looking at your truck pics again... man, that's such a beautiful truck you have. GM designers totally rock and make the best looking pickups (and full-size SUVs) going, in my view. Suburbans, Escalades, Tahoes, Yukons, Sierras, Silverados... all gorgeous and fabulous vehicles! Yep... I'm definitely a GM guy, and proud to be such.

As for the Duramax/Allison... that pairing has a great track record of quality and reliability... I'm sure you will LOVE that diesel... especially towing with it. It will be practically effortless towing your Airstream up the steepest of grades.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Beautiful truck Gavin. Test drove one myself about two hours back. Very impressed. Look forward to hearing your impressions after towing.

Saw other thread, you mention bringing back from Tenn through Asheville. Did you came down from Johnson City? That 45-50 mile stretch makes me 2005 Tahoe scream like a school girl. We drive it often as we float and fly fish the Watauga River in our raft. I know you were not towing, but would be curious how the Allison handled shifting in those hills.

Agree about DHarts Denali HD image in the courtyard.

Would sell more trucks than any image on their website currently, that's for sure.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Beautiful truck Gavin. Test drove one myself about two hours back. Very impressed. Look forward to hearing your impressions after towing.

Saw other thread, you mention bringing back from Tenn through Asheville. Did you came down from Johnson City? That 45-50 mile stretch makes me 2005 Tahoe scream like a school girl. We drive it often as we float and fly fish the Watauga River in our raft. I know you were not towing, but would be curious how the Allison handled shifting in those hills.

Agree about DHarts Denali HD image in the courtyard.

Would sell more trucks than any image on their website currently, that's for sure.

Dan
Dan... looking forward to your impressions of the Silverado HD Duramax/Allison. We would have selected that (or a Sierra HD Duramax/Allison) as an alternative to our Denali HD.

As for the photo... sheesh, I'd love to make a buck on those images in the courtyard.