Old 10-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
I will throw in a vote for an air hitch also. I used to get to the campsite and doors and drawers would be open in my 31' Airstream. I also noticed some cracks forming in the plastic up front and rivets popping out of the interior. I started using an air hitch and all of that stopped. I use the same hitch on the 34' Airstream I have now and it still works great.

-Alden

Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Pshaw! We've pulled our Bambi II and the '05 Bambi 19' we had for thousands of miles with our DMAX. No damage or poped rivets to either. We use Equal-i-zer hitches with the lowest tension and lightest bars.

As we say in Wyoming, "There's no such thing as too much truck".

Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I tow like an old lady, not like the Little Old Lady from Pasadena.

A heavy duty truck the problem? OR perhaps someone using all of the horsepower and torque that the heavy duty truck provides. Pull any Airstream at 70 or more MPH and you're going to have to go OVER potholes, not around them. Many roads, interstates or not, are in horrible shape, and in bad sections I slow down enough to keep my EB from bouncing like a pogo stick.

If you're towing with a half ton, or an SUV, you might not be able to achieve those high speeds, but with a 3/4 ton it's "like it isn't even there". If you drive like it isn't even there and are trying to set land speed records for towing an Airstream, even an SUV will rattle the trailer.
I am towing a 2013 30' International with a 2012 F-150 Eco Boost. My normal Interstate cruising speed is 70 Mph at 2100 RPM in 6th gear and I constantly need to check to see if the trailer still there. So I don't know what kind of half tons you are referring to. Of course I have Michelin's all the way around, TV and Trailer.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
Smile To much truck?...

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave
Old 10-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I am towing a 2013 30' International with a 2012 F-150 Eco Boost. My normal Interstate cruising speed is 70 Mph at 2100 RPM in 6th gear and I constantly need to check to see if the trailer still there. So I don't know what kind of half tons you are referring to. Of course I have Michelin's all the way around, TV and Trailer.
I recently traded my 2013 F-150 EcoBoost. I didn't like the way it performed in the Rockies - not specifically it's TOWING, but more it's lack of exhaust braking. In Florida I am sure your EcoBoost will be fine. I have a 25 FB Eddie Bauer that came with 16 inch Michelins.

I'm getting closer and closer to full retirement and I full time. I will be traveling the back roads and the hills and valleys of N. America and even though I periodically purge possessions, I really can't "camp light" as everything I own DOES have to go in the tow vehicle or the trailer. I bought the EcoBoost wanting a better daily driver - and it's in city mileage was frankly only slightly better than my former 2008 Chevy Silverado diesel. The Ecoboost does do nicely on long hauls in the country without a trailer. Pretty impressive for a half ton.

Paula
Old 10-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Eco Booost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I recently traded my 2013 F-150 EcoBoost. I didn't like the way it performed in the Rockies - not specifically it's TOWING, but more it's lack of exhaust braking. In Florida I am sure your EcoBoost will be fine. I have a 25 FB Eddie Bauer that came with 16 inch Michelins.

I'm getting closer and closer to full retirement and I full time. I will be traveling the back roads and the hills and valleys of N. America and even though I periodically purge possessions, I really can't "camp light" as everything I own DOES have to go in the tow vehicle or the trailer. I bought the EcoBoost wanting a better daily driver - and it's in city mileage was frankly only slightly better than my former 2008 Chevy Silverado diesel. The Ecoboost does do nicely on long hauls in the country without a trailer. Pretty impressive for a half ton.

Paula
I don't know what you are talking about.
The Eco Boost with the turbos is exactly what you need in the Rockies. We have traveled almost exclusively in the Rockies the last three years, close to 20,000 miles and hit every pass out there including Utahs Route 16. One of the most appreciated feature of my Eco Boost, driving in the Rockies is the
" Engine Break" fature. We are pulling a 2013 30' International the trailer is normally at 6,900 LBS travel weight when we hit the road.. When traveling in that type of terrain mileage consideration is secondary.
My F-150 is a 2012 model and I have 80,000 flawless miles on it.
I have Michelin's all the way around Truck and Trailer.
We are retired but not full timers.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #21
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I don't know what you are talking about.
One of the most appreciated feature of my Eco Boost, driving in the Rockies is the " Engine Break" fature.
There is no engine brake or exhaust brake on the ecoboost F150. The tow/haul mode changes the transmission shift frequency to hold the truck in a lower gear for a longer time, or higher RPM.

Most diesel pickups come with turbos and are excellent going uphill and down hill because they DO have an exhaust brake. But the larger diesel trucks are not as comfortable with "car like" handling as a F150. Pros and cons for both.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
We do know the Ecoboost doesn't have an engine brake but it could have an "Engine Break" feature we don't know about.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote