Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
2air: we just nailed down the TV this evening (08 GMC 2500HD Dura etc crew cab etc) from a dealer who so badly wanted our business that they are delivering the rig tomorrow and we live 2 hr away. Beat all other regional GMC/Chevy dealers by a fair margin.

So far, since a color match for the tonneau cover we've chosen - something from A R E - isn't in stock, we'll just wait til our local topper dealer can get it in and have them do the bed liner. I did note the cover that scissors up. Going to go with cab end hinge as we'll seldom use the TV for hauling big stuff. We're stepping up in size from a 24' Sprinter chassis RV to a 27' Classic so it ought to be a long time before we run out of storage space.

As they say in Hawaii: Mahalo!
Taj MaHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #22
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferry360
2air: we just nailed down the TV this evening...Mahalo!
well then it's time to RALLY...

we will look forward to the photos...truck, trailer and the whole shebang!

the are covers are nice (so are the lear) and paint matching should be exact.

the paint comes with a lifetime warranty, my shell was returned last summer for a respray, after starting tp peel near the window...

cheers and no ka oi !

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I also use a Folding Tonneau Cover | Hard Tonneau Cover | Foldacover | Fold-a-cover combined with a BedRug. I lay my bike down on the BedRug liner and lock the Fold-a-Cover. However, they do state that if you need something that is absolutely water tight, they are not for you. There is the possibility of leakage around the perimeter, especially the front. After about 7 years, the rubber seals over the hinges have failed on mine letting some small amounts of water in. Replacement rubber is available, but will require drilling all the pop-rivets that hold on the 3 hinges for replacement.

I still like the features of the Fold-a-Cover, but it is something you should be aware of.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I needed more covered room than a low bed cover would provide, so I went with a cab height Leer camper cover in color matched fiberglass. It's more money, a little heavier, but it fits my needs. One thing I did differently with my latest truck is, in stead of a spray in bed liner, I got one of the Bed Rugs. So far, I like it a lot.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I have the ARE hardshell on my 2002 GMC Duramax, and love it.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Tonneau cover

We got a Rugged tonneau cover for our 06 Ford F150, it is a soft cover in three sections that fold back, with a lock, clamps underneath. takes just a few minutes on and off, and so far we like it fine. Cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $350 at our local Tricks for Trucks..
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
We put a 'fold-a-cover' on our TV's 8' bed. Really like it.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
ARE. Good quality. you will pay for it. I have owed two the first one saved my bacon in a roll over. Needless to say I am one happy customer.
A.R.E. : Manufacturer of fiberglass pick-up truck caps, truck canopies, tops, toppers, camper shells, hard tonneau covers, work caps and truck accessories.

Ditto on the ARE brand...not cheap but we have been very very pleased with ours...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by extiger
After considering a number of options, I went with the roll top cover Pace-Edwards

The day after we bought our F250 we had the LineX put on and the Pace Edwards installed. After one year we love it. I put everything in the "trunk" including the generator and firewood and have it under lock and key. I wouldn't have it any other way
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #30
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Pace-Edwards roll top tonneau?

Hi Altamont,

This roll top cover you mentioned looks like it might be exactly what I need - locking, hard top, easily stowable when necessary.

How long have you had it, and which model did you get? Any problems with leakage?

Anyone else have one or any feedback about them?

Thanks!

Quote:
After considering a number of options, I went with the roll top cover
Quote:
Pace-Edwards

The day after we bought our F250 we had the LineX put on and the Pace Edwards installed. After one year we love it. I put everything in the "trunk" including the generator and firewood and have it under lock and key. I wouldn't have it any other way

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #31
_

. , .
my shell (are) started peeling last summer, so it was returned to the factory for new paint under warranty.

during this time my dealer installed the roll top above as a 'spare' for my travels...

had it 6 weeks, it was fun to have NO SHELL for a while, but ...

-it did collect rain especially during travel.

-it was MUCH HOTTER under the cover, so the stuff got really hot inside....

-the 'roll' part takes up some space up front, so things normally stored at the very front, were back about 6-8 inches....

-retracting it DURING rain even a few feet is an issue, because stuff gets really wet doing this...

-so it had to be left OPEN on sunny days to dry out completely....

-for example 'breaking camp' on a rainy day was really messy...

-while it did lock, the cover could have been easily cut open...

-the clam shells are MUCH tighter and water repelling...

and i was REALLY happy when the hard shell was returned with new paint!

all of the bed covers have issues of some sort like cost, durability, weight, security, access and so on...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #32
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Thanks 2air'!

Thanks for the real world comparison, it is very useful Glad your cap problem was taken care of under warrantee!

We originally thought we would get a cap, but had some concerns about weight and space limitations (what if we wanted to haul something too big to fit under cap?). I think those times will be very slim, though, since so far nothing has been too big for my minivan and the truckbed with cap will offer about the same amount of space.

We mainly want to keep things dry and secure - bikes, gensets, patio furniture, stuff of that nature. Would probably lock the valuables with a cable to the truckbed in addition to storing them in a locked cap.

Should we ever fulltime, which I am drawn to, the cap will come in even more handy for storage

Installed a BedRug, like it a lot so far.

AIRSTREAM Life

Old 04-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Roaman Cat

We got the Bedlocker which you can see on the Pace-Edwards web site. I believe I paid about $1700 installed. It operates from a key fob attached to my key ring. Always gets comments. I was surprised about how water 'tight" it made our bed. Not water "proof" mind you as some water will get in at times.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Some more on Pace Edwards

Some other things I like about my Pace Edwards Bedlocker. I have use of the entire heigth of my bed without having to remove a shell or hard cover. I can use any or part of the bed as I can partially retract the bed. This is especially nice when I put a hot generator in the back, I can leave a few inches of bed exposed to vent the heat and fumes without attracting thieves. The ONLY drawback is that it takes up about 10 inches of bed length at the top of the bed. I still store stuff under the cover canister at the front of the bed but this might be a consideration to those who need all the bed space they can get.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #35
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
thanks Altamont,

Sounds interesting, hope I get to see one before having to decide. Will think long and hard about how we will use the truck bed before investing the bucks in any kind of a cover. If I went tonneau, this sounds like the one that would best meet our needs. Very glad you are happy with your purchase!

AIRSTREAM Life