Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Diego , California
To Rent or to Beg

Howdy Folks,
I'm planning on picking up a 1968 28' Silver Streak Continental Deluxe Rocket in Santa Clarita on Thursday (or I can have them store thing for me for a couple months). I've already inspected the trailer and given the seller a deposit. I'd like to wait to purchase a tow vehicle until after the renovations are done. Actually, if it were up to me, I'd have bought a pickup yesterday, but I prefer not to argue with my pregnant wife. Anyway, it was always in the plan to buy the right truck for the trailer we ended up choosing.

I don't want to move the thing 200 miles to the Central Coast without brakes, so I need a truck with a brake controller. Do any of you know if Enterprise or U-Haul can provide that? Or can you suggest another plan?
SanchezDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Haul it home on a car trailer, like aaa uses.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Check with buddies! That trailer may be towed safely with many vehicles. Renting.. Yes, they offer here in the Country of Texas.... Having t "flatbed" trailered may be better so you can not worry about the tow...of tires..brakes...axles....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't think you will be hauling it on a car trailer. They are not wide enough or long enough.
Why not fix the brakes?
If you use a 1 ton or larger truck and drive slow you may b able to get it home. But you will be breaking the law.
Do the trailer lights work?

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Diego , California
To Rent or to Beg

Lights and brakes are functional. I'm sorry if that was unclear in the original post. It's wired up with a modern 7 blade RV plug. Tires are brand new, bearings are fine.
SanchezDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you have a suitable vehicle, BUY a brake controller and install it. Later move it to the tow vehicle you buy.

Or RENT a new F-150 Ford Eco-Boost, they have a built in brake controller.

Paula
Old 05-30-2015, 03:56 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
Check with a couple local RV dealerships, there are people who transport trailers for a living who, for a fee, will move it for you. They already have the correct equipment.
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Sounds to me like you need to make a new friend. A person that has a 1 Ton Dually, 4x4, 8 foot bed, crewcab (with sunroof), AC and leather with a diesel engine ;-)

After making your new friend, they will offer to help you get the trailer home at no cost (offer to buy the fuel and lunch). I highly suggest your new friend have the "I don't care" attitude for that type of person will not care about trailer brakes.

Buy this trailer plate off eBay and place on trailer:
1968 Colorado Trailer License Plate NH 2995 NOS | eBay

At that point, everyone will think you're just a couple of good old boys out camping for the weekend and you're coming home from your trip.

Just don't ask me how I know it will work ;-)

Enjoy,
Old 05-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I recently went through the hunt for a rental tow vehicle, and this is no trivial exercise. I am told that there are many vehicles such as chevy Tahoes, Suburbans, Ford F150s, etc., that roll out of the factory with all the hardware installed to tow with (no guarantees on the brake controller), HOWEVER every major rental company I checked with forbids you to tow with their rental vehicles. The exception is that some of the companies have a "commercial" rental division that will rent things like F-350s that they will allow you to tow with. Problem with these guys is that typically the "commercial" rental offices are not open on weekends, so you have to make a 3-4 day rental of the vehical and end up paying through the nose.

I figured I could rent something to tow with from Uhaul or the like, but it turns out they only allow you to tow trailers that are rented from Uhaul with a Uhaul truck, so no dice there.

You could do a "don't ask, don't tell" rental and just hope that nothing happens. Not sure what repercussions being found in violation of the rental contract may have, or whether your own insurance, credit card, etc., may cover your backside.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
Hire an RV hauler, it's a one time expense. It's also cheaper, easier and safer than "hoping nothing bad happens". They will also have their own insurance.
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #11
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Yes, Enterprise Truck Rental - not the car rental outlets - has 3/4T fully tow equipped Crew Cab Trucks to rent for towing, but you'll need to pay extra for their daily insurance - unless you have them named on you car insurance with a $1mm coverage.

Try for their Ford or Chevy 3/4T (or 1/2T if they have them but make sure it's equipped with a 7-pin electrical & brake controller in the 1/2Ts), which will fit the 60's AS low hitch ht. better - the Dodges are 4-6" taller at the receiver.

U-Haul's only have 4-pin connectors, so no electrical to the brakes & no controllers & their trailers all use surge brakes - so they'd be okay for towing on a car hauler flat trailer - if it fits the AS, but the truck + trailer combo may cost more to rent than the fully tow capable Enterprise trucks.

Rent one for now, then take your time to find the right truck/suv for your needs ... & wife's buy in!

We've been renting since we got our `60 Avion T20 in July 2012 from Enterprise Truck R., but are now looking for a well kept low mile used Cayenne S to avoid the logistical hassles & be ready to tow to more vintage trailer events as we near retirement & more time to do them (no - a full size pickup won't fit our driveway nor our needs - before anyone else from the "get a truck only club" chimes in).

Maybe we'll see you & your Silver Streak at the Buellton or Newport Dunes vintage trailer rallies in Sept. or Oct.!?

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:57 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Tom T nailed it. We used Enterprise commercial Truck Rental when we picked up our 27 FB in Missouri. California to Missouri and back! Awesome trip!

Ron
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 PM   #13
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
For those reading this post & thinking about renting a TV, make sure to verify that you can in fact go out of state & can tow under the contract for the rental for whichever company you use.
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote