Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
To cover or not to cover...that is the question

Ok, so I just purchased my 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel and a Honda Eu3000is generator.

I want to secure the Honda permanently in the bed of the truck, (it weighs 135 lbs) and need to evaluate the options for covering the bed.

Camper shell
Hard cover solid one piece
Hard cover two piece
Soft cover
Roll up
etc.

Any advice on how you deal with security, convenience, storage, and generator exhaust while keeping the generator in the bed?

I like the idea of the cabin height camper shell so I can store bikes, etc and keep them dry and out of sight. But then what do you do when the generator is running and the fumes?

I am also open to better all-around suggestions.

Thanks!

Jim
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
I am not sure if I did something wrong on this post, since I have not received any replies.

Did I make a mistake?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
You didn't make mistakes on the post. Sometimes the posts fall very quickly in the queue and it just doesn't get read. Occasionally you have to give your own post a bump so that it will jump back up to the top of the queue and people will get the opportunity to read it. Your title is also a bit misleading in that you said "to cover or not cover". I'm not sure everybody's getting, from that title, what it is you are asking about. People will answer in time. Good luck.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Thanks for the tip
Old 05-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
gen security

I have the Honda 3000 in the back of my truck secured with a BIG chain and locks. However you cover, you'll need plenty of ventilation for the gen when she's running.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
and maybe we're all still thinking and agonizing over alternatives to give you the best advice...we don't rush in with frivolent responses (like this one, for example)...

But since your first choice is a camper shell, and your exhaust concerns make sense, maybe you could rig up a small exhaust stack through the roof? Then bolt the generator to the truckbed for security. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBeaubeaux View Post
Camper shell
Hard cover solid one piece
Hard cover two piece
Soft cover
Roll up
etc.
I'm in the same boat so not sure I can offer advice as much as to give this thread a bump and offer my current thoughts.

Right now I have an F-150 with a soft cover. I'm very likely getting a new truck and since I want to bring along bicycles and a generator (neither of which I currently bring) I am not going with a soft cover.

I would not get a one piece hard cover. I just see those as being too limited.

My current thought is to get a tri-fold hard tonneau and mount a few bicycle fork mounts to the cover itself in the 1/3rd of the cover nearest the cab. Then put the bikes right on the cover with the front wheels in the bed of the truck. The generator will be there as well. With the generator running I can fold the first 1/3 for ventilation. This would not work with a roll up cover.

The other option would be to rig up my own crossbar with fork mounts on it. I could obviously go with one of the manufactured "tower and rack" options but once you add the bicycle trays the costs add up quickly. This option could work with either a roll up or tri fold cover.

Not my photo but this looks like an elegant solution.

I'm not currently keen on the cap idea but I can see why people like that option. I just don't see how the bikes and everything would fit as nicely. If I went with a cap I'd consider mounting the bicycles on the roof?

Maybe with some solar panels? I know that's a whole 'nother discussion...
Old 05-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The jury is still out on whether to get a tonneau cover or a full camper shell. I like the style of the tonneau cover better, but the shell is more practical and affords more storage. If I get a shell, I don't want the cab high shell, but the high-rise shell so I can sorta pseudo walk around in it- albeit hunched over. Seems a bit easier to access stuff and can haul more stuff.
Flip side of that coin- tonneau cover is lighter and will eat up less available payload-
If you have a 2500 that is not as much a consideration, but I have a half ton-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Bikes standing upright in shell- kayaks mounted on roof carrier on top of shell-
With tonneau, bike front wheels removed and bikes lying on their sides under tonneau and kayaks on a roof rack on the truck cab-
Still leaning toward shell for more storage and keeping bikes out of weather-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

patterson , Louisiana
Jim,
I have a Ford F 250 as my tow vehicle. I also have a Honda 3000 manual start genset. That is about the same as yours but the manual start and a good bit lighter!
My truck came with a removable liner, not my choice, but it works well. To prevent the genset and all other items from sliding around I installed outdoor carpeting using blind rivets around the edges. I set the genset against the front wall of the bed and used nylon straps to hold it in place, as it turns out they have been unnecessery. No kidding. I think that straps would be required if the genset was NOT against the back wall of the bed. It has been there for 5 seasons and over 45,ooo miles including a 6 month trip to Alaska.

For a bed cover I purchased an UNDERCOVER hard top. Now the Honda that I have just barely fits under it, but that is all that is needed so check closely before purchase.
Some brands of hard covers grant a bit more clearance.
I did not want the camper shell as I use the truck for my daily driver.

When using the genset I merely raise the topper, pull the genset toward the tailgate and crank it up. No fuss no muss. Oh, I keep the gas for it in the smaller containers, 2.5 gal. I think as they are much easier to handle. I also purchased replacement spouts to do away with the worthless ones that now come on gas containers. you know the new ones that cause one to spill every time.

CCC
carmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

patterson , Louisiana
Jim,
I hope that I am doing this picture thing correctly.
This should be a pic of the bed of the truck, the genset is under the white towel toward the back. All of this "stuff" stays in place without tie downs at all.

CCC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pickup storage 2 (800x600).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	239383  
carmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have a cab high camper shell. I specifically ordered one that had windows that opened up on the side to access things.
If you get a camper shell that is higher than the cab then you have to stand on your tip toes or hang a string on the rear door to close it. My brother has this type on his Dodge truck - it is tall.
A tonneau cover seems very limited in some regards depending on what type you get. The camper shell just has more usable space and I have no trouble seeing the vehicles behind me.

If I had a generator I would place it towards the rear of the truck, open the tail gate and shoot the exhaust out the back. Keep airspace around the generator from the other stuff in the truck when it is running.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Clarita , California
Jim,

Here is another option (Pickup Pack from Highway Products) that I got from another forum on this site:

Pickup Packs by Highway Products Inc.

I have corresponded with Highway Products, and they are quite helpful so far.

Tod
Tod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The string/rope/strap on the door is not a bad idea on the high rise shell. Box trucks/moving vans have this on the rear door.
Another option is to remove the tailgate and install a walk through door on the back of the pickup/shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We have a cap that's the same height as the cab. I've never tried to run the generator in it, but it does have a sliding front window and a screen window, so it would theoretically be possible.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Watch which way the exhaust is pointed. I have melted a plastic bed liner with a generator exhaust. What I learned: open the tailgate and turn the generator exhaust out-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Laie , Hawaii
If you are concerned about security, consider building a simple removable plywood housing box for the generator. That can be combined with a chain, etc. to keep it from being a theft magnet.
Sharkboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
I wouldn't attempt to suggest what the "best" option is, but I can tell you what we have done and it has worked for us. 2500HD Silverado with a cab high top and bed slide. Our Yamaha 2400 sits on the back of the slide. We have the Yamaha tied to the bed and when we need it we can either set it out or pull the slide out to the tailgate and leave the rear window up on the cap and run the generator/inverter as needed. Canoe rides on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	239386  
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Not so familiar with the Honda Genset but I've often mused about extending the exhaust on my monster generator that is just for power failures for our house.. On mine I would remove the small muffler and thread a pipe adapter and larger pipe to carry the exhaust away from the generator. Maybe something like that can be installed in your covered truck bed. Or you might have to get someone to makeup an adaptor if the exhaust muffler is bolted on. There is a lot of heat in the exhaust...never mind the fumes
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Campbell River , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelo View Post
Jim,
I hope that I am doing this picture thing correctly.
This should be a pic of the bed of the truck, the genset is under the white towel toward the back. All of this "stuff" stays in place without tie downs at all.

CCC
I have the very same cover and love it. It is named "Undercover". I had them install a lock on my gate also. This is a great way to go. Your AS is always visible.

Al
roundrobin is offline   Reply With Quote