Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Tis the Season For Break-ins; Your Truck That is

For ALL you truck owners out there, but especially Ford Super Duty owners, beware, your unprotected truck is 5 seconds away from being broken into. Even with an alarm, they can "smash & grab" in 5 seconds. all it takes is a screwdriver pushed into the lock mechanism, a twist, and they are inside your truck. Also they can take the screwdriver and pry under the door latch plate and do the same thing. With the Jimmi-Jammers installed (see link below) it would take a sledge hammer to break into the door and the whole lock mechanism would have to be broken out before they could gain entry. Also a metal plate comes in the kit that prevents the screwdriver under the door latch as well. I was broken into in broad daylight while shopping and I didn't notice anything until I got home and found my tools and camera gone from my back seat. Upon close expamination, I found a little bitty chip off my lock. When I got my lock repaired, I added the Jimmi-jammers. That was on my 2002. As soon as I got my 2008, I added the Jimmi-Jammers and an alarm system. You might consider it too.

Vehicle Security and Theft Prevention Devices
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Every single time I had a vehicle broken into, they never bothered with the lock. Or jimmying the door. They just smashed a window and reached in to open the door. A smash-and-grab artist doesn't care what damage he does.

When my Dodge Durango was burglarized in 2005, they broke out the driver's front window to just steal a $1 diposable Bic lighter out of the cup holder.

When my Airstream Interstate was burglarized in 2011, they broke out the passenger front window, and used a crowbar or big screwdriver to pry the Kenwood head unit out of the dashboard.

Unless you've also got armored, unbreakable windows, extra protection for the door locks or latch plates is a waste of money and effort.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I left my car unlocked in Philly as a student once...there was nothing to steal in it...I found the passenger seat laid way back and a mcdonalds wrapper...at least he did not break my window...

People man..I swear. Frustrating.
PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I left my car unlocked in Philly as a student once...there was nothing to steal in it...I found the passenger seat laid way back and a mcdonalds wrapper...at least he did not break my window...

People man..I swear. Frustrating.
With the seat laid way back, you're lucky that McDonalds is the only kind of "wrapper" you found in the car.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Seriously locks barely slow down a pro. They can and will defeat any system you install in your ride. Locks are only good for discouraging the lame and lazy opportunity crook. Over the years I have been broken into twice. Both times they simply smashed a side window and took a few useless things that were left in plain sight. The other time they stole my X's makeup bag and left over 2K in tools on the back seat floor. The police caught that idiot. The lot had a camera system and the manager Id'ed the fool as a waiter at his restaurant. Lots of dumb want to be crooks out there these days.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Your best insurance against vadalism and break-in is, well, insurance.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
When I got my door lock fixed, it was in Phoenix, that fellow said he repaired an average of 50 Ford Super Duty locks a week. Yes, they can smash a window, but that is not the norm. I can tell you that a screwdriver in any pickup door lock can open it in 5 seconds, silently. If they tap the screwdriver with a hammer and the alarm goes off, they will just go to your truck that has no Jimmi-Jammers or alarm and be in your truck before you can count to 5. At $40, it is very cheap insurance. The other option is to leave your truck unlocked and the window down. Maybe they will only take your King Ranch seats.
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Orange County, CA. , California
Wow! And I thought Los Angeles was a tough neighborhood!!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
When I had a 1968 MGB ragtop I finally realized the top was worth more than the contents of the car. I started leaving the car unlocked and put a single one dollar bill in the glove box.

Let the junkie grab the dollar bill to keep him enthralled so he forgets the radio.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo1rider View Post
When I had a 1968 MGB ragtop I finally realized the top was worth more than the contents of the car. I started leaving the car unlocked and put a single one dollar bill in the glove box.

Let the junkie grab the dollar bill to keep him enthralled so he forgets the radio.
I like that. It's sort of like what the ranchers do in the Southwest part of Texas close to the Mexican border. They leave the house unlocked, with canned food and an opener on the table with a note in Spanish saying "have a good trip, friend".
Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My first MG had a 8-track player. I kept hoping someone would steal it so I could get a cassette player.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The eastern swamps , North Carolina
SteveH ssshhhhh..

LOL .You aren't supposed to say that Steve. Since "they" have decided that leaving water or food is aiding and abetting. But, I figure that anyone desperate, or greedy ,or crazy enough to be out in the Chihuahua or the Sonorran desert on foot is probably going to go through me, if they can't go around me .
As far as trucks go, thieves will break into your Porsche, or your F-100, or your PT, or your one ton dually. They don't care, they are just after the quick buck.
At my old storage space, someone had an overnight break-in spree. They smashed the front window of a really nice sprinter based RV, the owner said they got a coffee maker, and something else small ( I can't remember what).
At my bay they smashed the lock, got in, and missed the two guitars and a small amp. But, they managed to break into a cheap little fake jewelry box, full of fish hooks! I hope they really enjoyed that little rummage!
All the best. Cheers! Rich.
LimeyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Same thing happened to me at Costco in broad daylight last year.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyRich View Post
LOL .You aren't supposed to say that Steve. Since "they" have decided that leaving water or food is aiding and abetting. But, I figure that anyone desperate, or greedy ,or crazy enough to be out in the Chihuahua or the Sonorran desert on foot is probably going to go through me, if they can't go around me .
Well, what I didn't say is some of those same ranch houses, with permission from the owners, are "rigged" with an alarm that goes off at the Border Patrol office when someone not knowing how to disable it, enters the house. Of course it's silent at the house, but anyway, they have lots of "tools of the trade", but still only catch a fraction of the illegals entering.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
My Ford Van had the passenger side door opened by punching a screwdriver or other object through the door under the lock. The back door had the plastic lock frame pried twice to gain entry. Once they just threw a brick through the side door window to get in. When it was new, they pried up a back door and drove a rod into the mechanism to crank the spare down and steal it. All of these instances took place in public parking lots or on a side street. Once, they took the stereo, other times a bin with some spares. All of this was between '99 and '05. Fords are just an easy mark that thieves have learned how to master.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Where I live, smashing the glass is the norm for gaining illegal entry to the vehicle.

They might jimmy the lock if they plan to steal the whole vehicle; no one wants to sit on broken glass while stealing a car. But the general consensus in my part of the world is, it's just not smash-and-grab unless you actually smash something. Until this thread, I'd never even heard of someone breaking into a car by using the screwdriver-in-the-lock technique. Houses and apartments, yes. Vehicles, not so much.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
The reason it is so easy to screwdriver most door locks, especially Fords, is that the end of the lock mechanism is a small metal clip. When you twist the screw driver, it pops the clip and thus enables you to turn the lock mechanism and unlock the door. You could actually just buy a small hose clamp and run it around the clip, same as in the Jimmi-Jammer kit. That would stop the screw driver method in the lock, but they could still pry under the door latch plate and do the same thing. The Jimmi-Jammer kit has a steel plate to stop that as well. After I got broken into, I watched the fellow fix my door lock and he installed my Jimmi-Jammer kit. He had not seen such a kit before and remarked that the kit should really stop the easy access via screw driver. You will never stop the window break in but the silent screw driver will not work if the Jimmi-Jammer kit is installed.
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Can you still get a trunk monkey?

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Man, that is too funny.

Jimmi Jammer, GPS locator, RAVELCO, interior ear-splitting alarm, pager alert. No end to ideas.

Just let it still be in the same place as I left it.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
I like the line in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, "I'm older and I have more insurance"...
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote