Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
If you are accustomed to running a street tire, there will be a noticeable difference in the ride/handling when switching to an A/T or M/T tire.

You won't be able to go around corners as fast as you were doing previously.

Woody
Woody.303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishsilver View Post
experimenting. As for normal driving, I have had many long trips, and 35 PSI seems fine. I do notice once I reach 70mph, things get a little shaky.
I had the same problem when I bought new tires for our truck. It turned out the tech that installed the tires only put 35 psi in them. I filled them up the rest of the way, and the vibrations stopped. You obviously don't want to put too myuch in them when not towing, but try raising the pressure in, say, 3 pound increments, until the shaking stops.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #23
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I had the same problem when I bought new tires for our truck. It turned out the tech that installed the tires only put 35 psi in them. I filled them up the rest of the way, and the vibrations stopped. You obviously don't want to put too myuch in them when not towing, but try raising the pressure in, say, 3 pound increments, until the shaking stops.
Terry,
I find that if I take a short nap the shaking stops
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #24
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
The shaking isn't normal??

Houston we have a problem

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Terry,
I find that if I take a short nap the shaking stops

Hmmmmm I have found quite the opposite to be true.

When I open my eyes the shaking stops!

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
All joking aside, tires are not supposed to shake, at any speed, or any reasonable air pressure. If they do, chances are they are not ballanced properly, or even worse, out of round.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Three, four golf balls in each tire, shakes gone?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I have used BFG's Long Trail, or Rugged Trail.

Both tires I got in "E" rated tire. I wouldnt get anything less.

My first hand experience is. Silent ride, Great Traction, ( mud, snow, ice, rain) Exceptional wear. Look at the delivery vans for small package co. They get around 100,000 miles, if rotated every 5000 and all else is good.

I got great fuel economy.

I had a belt slip, because of a weld break, on a stock steel rim. BFG warrantied 1 tire, no problem. They asked what dealer to give credit or ship tire to. Very Helpfull.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:18 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
On the other side of the fence.

Hi, your vehicle was made and rated with "P" tires, not "LTs". If your vehicle was rated to handle your trailer, then "LT" truck tires won't change that. Your "P" tires probably had a max tire pressure of 45 lbs; Putting 70 lbs in "LT" tires on those wheels could cause a fatal injury to you or who-ever is filling them. Check the rateing of your wheels. There is nothing in my owner's manual that says I must change my "P" tires to "LT" tires for towing.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:21 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Another side of the fence

Our vehicle came with 215X55X17VR P rated ultra high performance tires.

They have many advantages. The low profile has a minimal sidewall so they are designed not to wallow even when pushed to the limit.

I run 38lbs pressure in the rears and 36 in the fronts when towing. They provide a better ride compared to high pressure truck tires.

Truck tires are made to last. Not a bad idea but the rubber compounds are hard. Performance tires use sticky rubber with lots of grip. Shorter stopping distances and stability are the benefit.

These tires are smaller (diameter) and lighter than most truck tires so they weigh less. Less weight takes less HP from the vehicle.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:00 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Lima , Ohio
Joke?

Not sure I am getting jokes about the comments on tire shake? Again, before I purchase anything, there is alot of research done. The tires were re-balanced after 3 weeks, and they were only off a little, but it made an improvement. I have read many reviews on this tire, and one complaint was the same as mine. Some road shake at high speeds, called BF Goodrich and they explained the same, a different ride on an AT tire verses all season. Like I said prior, I had these same tires on my previous truck, just lower rating. My husband has also built several "monster" trucks and has experience in very large lifted truck tires. None of those, were ever a smooth ride, didn't expect them to be. Just wondering, if I wasn't getting the jokes? Posted this thread to get some honest feedback and advice, as we are new to Airstreaming. I appreciate those who have helped out.
wishsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #32
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Tires rated significantly above your wheel and/or axles or axles are a waste of $...but will give you some safety factor.

Tires rated below your axles are not fully utilizing your vehicle.

"P" rated tires are not for towing at all, and will compromise safety. Low profile tires would be in this category.

Bill
Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Other situations besides out of round and out of balance need to be checked to take away the shakies. There is also road force! Road force is the variation in stiffness of the tire at different points around the circumference of the tire. These variations can be attributed to variations in casing or tread thickness, as well as overlaps in belt ends, and variations is rubber density. Variations as high as 75 lbs are not uncommon on LT tires from the least road force to the most road force. In LT tires, Michelin LTX M/S tires typically show the least variations, usually ranging below 15 lbs. from least to most. After road force the next consideration is whether the wheels are lug centric or hub centric. Hub centric wheels can be balanced using the normal centering cone to mount the wheel/tire assembly to the balancing machine. However, if your wheels are lug centric, the individual doing the balancing must use the lug adapter to mount the tire/wheel to the balancing machine. Lug centric wheels are almost never properly balanced when using the cone to mount them to the balancing machine, no matter how careful the tire tech does his job.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishsilver View Post
Not sure I am getting jokes about the comments on tire shake? Again, before I purchase anything, there is alot of research done. The tires were re-balanced after 3 weeks, and they were only off a little, but it made an improvement. I have read many reviews on this tire, and one complaint was the same as mine. Some road shake at high speeds, called BF Goodrich and they explained the same, a different ride on an AT tire verses all season. Like I said prior, I had these same tires on my previous truck, just lower rating. My husband has also built several "monster" trucks and has experience in very large lifted truck tires. None of those, were ever a smooth ride, didn't expect them to be. Just wondering, if I wasn't getting the jokes? Posted this thread to get some honest feedback and advice, as we are new to Airstreaming. I appreciate those who have helped out.
It is hard to get honest feed back on here. I personally can appreciate you and your husbands knowledge and experience. I drag race now, but built 1 truck won 4 years in a row at bowling green pulls ( NATS) amature class. You will find on here and most forums, missery loves company. Axles Tow vehicles, good luck weeding threw the rederick, and left field info. Its kind of like going to Autozone and asking a technical question.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote