Old 02-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Yeah... lets see how fast we can go in our Suburbans. Oh, wait I forgot my Airstream...

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
You should probably move up to a "D" range tire. There is no point in going to an "E' range as you don't have the axle rating for that load any way. The "D" range will probably be over your GAWR also, but not by much.

Consider yourself very lucky to have survived towing with "P" rated tires.

Bill

Old 02-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I agree with using weight scale tickets to look at tire ratings (you have a sheaf of them, right?). Not exceeding weight limits on tires is important.

I also have had good luck with the MICHELIN LTX series (A/T). Wear like iron. I understand the latest version is better in the wet than the ones I have.

I bought my truck with 123,000 miles on it. Original tires, still more than 6/32 of tread. I replaced them for peace of mind, and, now at 20,000 miles might get around to rotating them (can't believe I forgot this, but . . there's just no wear apparent on front tire shoulders).

I'd go for new shocks as well, upgrade to KONI or BILSTEIN.

Several "tire life tools" I enjoy using: infrared thermometer, tread-depth gauge, and a high quality tire pressure gauge.

As well, be sure to have the tires/wheels balanced on a HUNTER GSP-9700 "Road Force" balancer. Read up on what is an acceptable "balance weight" (25-ozs or more is considered a reject by Mercedes, etc, as I recall), and have the shop keep working them until they are acceptable. (Have the spare taken down and measured [rolling height needs to be very similar]; also rebalanced).

As I paid just over $1,000 for [4] on mine, out the door, I considered a few hours of research and a day of my time acceptable trade-offs for tires I would have for years.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Michelin.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishsilver View Post
Looking to buy new tires for our tow vehicle. Currently we have factory Goodyear P265/65/R17. Tire shop recommended a "C" or "E" rated tire, since we are towing a trailer. "E" is probably not an option, because we only pull the trailer during the summer months, and I don't want a rough ride. Anyone out there with advice on tires they may have purchased that run well with/without the airstream in tow? Thanks!
E range if your are towing at all you can lower the pressure to soften the ride. No lower than the manufacturer's recomandation. I bump mine up to max pressure on the sidewall for towing. The ride is fine with the trailer attached. I currently have BF Goodrich 265/70/R17 or 18(8 lug nuts). I would have to look. They are good in the mud and snow and I can't hear them over the diesel. ;-) I had pirelli scorpions (factory spec). They are truck road tires. I wore them out every 30,000 miles. I am on my third set now. I hope the BF Goodrich's last a little longer. It's $800 a set.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Lima , Ohio
Purchased tires

Finally purchased a set of tires, after much research. They are 265/65/17 BF Goodrich All Terrain KO's. E rated, a very aggresive looking tire. After much shopping, we found we had 3 choices in our tire size. We could have adjusted size a little, but still didn't have much to pick from. On my previous truck, I had the BF Goodrich, but in that size, they came C rated. Knew getting E rated would be overkill, but this was the best looking tire. After many calls to tire shops, store, Dodge, and BF Goodrich, we were told for normal driving to follow what door says. That is 35 PSI. The tire is capable of 80 PSI. I tried 40 PSI, but it was a very stiff bumpy ride. First time we towed trailer, we aired back tires to 50. It was a very windy day, 40mph gusts, and it was the first time we noticed a sway, wasn't sure if it was tires, or weather related. When we picked our airstream back up at P & S in Helena, we asked them about air pressure. They were the first to answer our questions right away. They showed us that airing them the way we did, provides a "squish" in the tire, which will cause a sway feeling. They told us to air those babies up, they can handle the pressure. We aired all 4 to 70PSI. My husband felt it was a better ride, and again we had a very windy day, with 30mph gusts. So we will keep posted how we fair with these new tires. I'm sure it will take some experimenting. As for normal driving, I have had many long trips, and 35 PSI seems fine. I do notice once I reach 70mph, things get a little shaky. Other than that, they are fine. You trade some comfort and ride for an aggresive E rated tire, but the purpose in purchasing these was for pulling the Airstream.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
If you are accustomed to running a street tire, there will be a noticeable difference in the ride/handling when switching to an A/T or M/T tire.

You won't be able to go around corners as fast as you were doing previously.

Woody
Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishsilver View Post
experimenting. As for normal driving, I have had many long trips, and 35 PSI seems fine. I do notice once I reach 70mph, things get a little shaky.
I had the same problem when I bought new tires for our truck. It turned out the tech that installed the tires only put 35 psi in them. I filled them up the rest of the way, and the vibrations stopped. You obviously don't want to put too myuch in them when not towing, but try raising the pressure in, say, 3 pound increments, until the shaking stops.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #23
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I had the same problem when I bought new tires for our truck. It turned out the tech that installed the tires only put 35 psi in them. I filled them up the rest of the way, and the vibrations stopped. You obviously don't want to put too myuch in them when not towing, but try raising the pressure in, say, 3 pound increments, until the shaking stops.
Terry,
I find that if I take a short nap the shaking stops
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #24
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
The shaking isn't normal??

Houston we have a problem

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Terry,
I find that if I take a short nap the shaking stops

Hmmmmm I have found quite the opposite to be true.

When I open my eyes the shaking stops!

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
All joking aside, tires are not supposed to shake, at any speed, or any reasonable air pressure. If they do, chances are they are not ballanced properly, or even worse, out of round.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Three, four golf balls in each tire, shakes gone?

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I have used BFG's Long Trail, or Rugged Trail.

Both tires I got in "E" rated tire. I wouldnt get anything less.

My first hand experience is. Silent ride, Great Traction, ( mud, snow, ice, rain) Exceptional wear. Look at the delivery vans for small package co. They get around 100,000 miles, if rotated every 5000 and all else is good.

I got great fuel economy.

I had a belt slip, because of a weld break, on a stock steel rim. BFG warrantied 1 tire, no problem. They asked what dealer to give credit or ship tire to. Very Helpfull.