Old 04-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Tires for Steering Axles

Since many of us are using GMC and Chevy 4 x 4 dualies for tow vehicles, I wonder how many of you have experience excessive front tire wear? I'm on my second set of Goodyear Wranglers on the front end - whereas the dualies probably have another 25,000 to go on the original set of Wranglers! I've been told that it is a characteristic of this particular beast - relative to aggressive tread designs. Two tires have been recommended to aleviate the problem - either Laredo or Cooper - both with a tread design consisting of relatively solid, or non-aggressive, outside rows of rubber - similar to what you would see on the steering axles of large tracter trailer rigs. The problem is not related to tire pressure or alignment - as I have religiously maintained both, checking actual weight by truck scale and by using a highly respected alignment shop. I've also gone the 7-tire rotation schedule - but the latest "quick" wear on the front makes rotating impractical. I still have plenty of tread life but the cupping has created a very noisy ride. It doesn't appear that running solo, or with the trailer in tow, makes any difference.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
It looks like I may be the only one experiencing tire problems but, for the record, Goodyear has come out with a "commercial" truck tire called a G149 RSA LT, available in the 215 85 R16 size, load range E, that is exactly what I need. This is the only tire I've found that has solid shoulder ribs with no cross siping. I believe that it may have been developed to overcome the problem I've experienced with "cupping" - however no one has it in stock yet. Relatively expensive ($220 - $250) - but cheaper than replacing the front tires every 15,000 miles!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I may be the only one interested in this thread but, for the record, my GM dealer received the above tires yesterday. They were manufactured in the U. S. during the first week of April, 2007 - so they are indeed a new product. On first impression, they're virtually identical to the steering tires that you would see on a commercial tractor-trailer rig. They are at least 50% heavier, by weight, than my old Goodyear Wranglers - and I was surprised to find that they can be "re-grooved" to a depth of 1/3 inch when the initial tread is worn down. After installation, my initial driving test revealed a quieter ride - due to the absense of the "scalping" growl that was associated with the Wranglers - but they definitely feel "stiffer." Not an unpleasant ride by any means - but a little more truck-like. My price, before taxes and balancing, was $211.00/ea. - although I had other quotes as high as $269.00. I hope that this solves my tire problem.