Old 02-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Tired of your Hummer? How about an MRAP?

Of course, as a Hummer owner, you are now Officially mourning the loss of your marque, since GM recently annouced that the deal with the Chinese fell through, and they're just going to deep-six it.

Just in time though, along comes Oshkosh with the M-ATV!

Here's a note from CR on it:
The full name for this towering Oshkosh military vehicle is the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) all-terrain vehicle. But its friends call it M-ATV. This one was so fresh from the factory that Major Matthew Opalinski said it still had that “new M-ATV smell.”

Although this hulking vehicle stands about 8.5 feet high and is about 8 feet wide, it was tucked away at the Chicago show in an off-the-beaten-path U.S. Army exhibit. But that’s where the M-ATV is likely most at home.

Specifically designed for the rigors of Afghanistan, it doesn’t look like it would be much fazed by a mere freeway traffic jam, thanks to its 370-hp, 9.3-liter six-cylinder Caterpillar diesel engine and massive 395/85R20 Michelin run-flat tires.

In fact, the M-ATV is hard to stop. It can travel up to 30 mph, even with two “flat” tires and can limb along for at least a kilometer with a 7.62-mm hole in its engine oil system.

The M-ATV seats five people (well, four passengers and a gunner). It can go from 0-30 mph in 12 seconds and has a range of 300 to 400 miles on a single tank of fuel. But with a curb weight of about 25,000 pounds, fuel economy is likely not its forte.

Its off-road prowess is backed up by a TAK-4 independent suspension system that delivers 16 inches of travel along with “smooth off-road ride quality and confident mobility over arduous terrain.” Standard traction control and ABS also pitch in.

Need a little extra light for a beach party? According to Major Opalinski, each of the M-ATV’s headlights cluster together 10 HID bulbs, so you can torch the night with the flick of a button.
Sounds like just the vehicle for towing your AS PanAmerica (especially armoured version, of course) around Afghanistan, as part of your World Tour.

I wonder if they would offer a stainless steel version as part of the rumoured US$500,000 selling price, so that it could be polished to match your TT...?

We don't need no steenken Rolls Royce if we have one of these now, do we?
Attached Images

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
my kind of Hummer

Artist Converts Hummer Into Horse-Drawn Carriage - Wheels Blog -

safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
wow, that's waaay cool, Safari! I wonder if it's an actually usable one though? I mean, a Hummer body, even without the engine/trans has got to be heavy!
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
How much extra to get a split axle so you can go 60+ mph?

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
The MRAP is impressive to see go by on a dropdeck or stepdeck, en route to the Port of Beaumont. I've visited just briefly with the Colonel in charge of the huge shipping point here for US Army, and he mentioned that even rolling down the highway that it is of considerable classified security.

They're not "big" until you compare it to the 18,000-lb 970 Peterbilt tractor hauling it.

On the other hand I've already seen press that while it is okay in Iraq (urban environments/areas of operation), that the rugged, roadless Afghanistan theatre has restricted it's mobility -- weight, and top-heavy -- to roads. Kind of like the Osprey, one wonders if it would really stand up to a determined opponent.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2008 23' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Very cool! It looks like a stagecoach to me. Perfect for the wild west!

Lisa and Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod"
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler" (

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
TAC- SK 23223
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote