Old 09-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #15
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Tire recommendations!

I would highly recommend LT tires. I have had good luck with Cooper AT3's. I have had them on my F250 for 3-4 years. Based on those, we just put a set on our 1981 Bronco. They currently have a promotion going: buy a set of 4, get a $70 gift card as a rebate.

I like LT's...... towing stability is a plus due to the stiffer sidewalls. If you'd rather have the squishy ride for when you are not towing, go with non-LT's.

PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I like my Michelin LTX AT 2's rolling on "20"'s on my F150 Platinum. I park on a gravel lot, and I might pick up a stone or two, but they are ejected quickly. I think all of the tires I have had pick up stones once in a while. They are quiet, do a great job in all conditions and tow well too. I had a set on my previous Chevy Duramax and they were great on there also. When I tow I pop the air up close to the max on the tire, even though they are P rated they are well within the weight ratings for my rig and they do a fine job, even on the "20"s. I was a bit leery when I first put them on, coming from LT's on my Dmax, but no worries. As a matter of fact, the F150 with the ecoboost has really surprised me in it's abilities.

The LTX's were quite an improvement over the stock Pirelli Scorpions (the Pirelli's looked cooler though ;-) ). You can likely get a good deal on them at Costco. It's usually worth joining if you are not a member just to get the tire deals. Plus they have super service, balancing, rotation etc., and their tire jockeys are well trained etc. etc. I ordered via phone/mail/on-line for 40+ years, but now I do it the easy way - I buy Michelins at Costco for all of my vehicles. They even mounted and balanced my Maxxis M8008s for my Airstream. BTW, some folks don't know this but they will repair/balance etc. members tires even if they weren't purchased from them.

Off topic More Costco..... an example of Costco value (like Sams Club, BJs too I would think) : this past spring I needed a new tire pressure transmitter for one of the wheels on my daughters Civic. I went to Mr. Tire (for the last time!). $100 later I rolled out the door. The TPS light was still on, they said the new transmitter would take extra time and to drive it 25 miles or so. I did and it didn't go out. I went back and they said it needed to be synced with the system. I was like, ok I guess that will be free as you installed the new transmitter. NOPE, they wanted $125 to do it. WHAT! you install the transmitter, but you don't include syncing it? Out the door I went. I was reading on the net about buying the device (for $125!) that could sync it when I saw that Costco would repair customers tires etc. even if not purchased there. Headed over to the local warehouse, $25 later, my tires were rotated, balanced and the TPS system was all in sync. Mr. Tire...never again.

Sorry, just had to get it out LOmight

1999 28' Safari
2012 F150 Platinum Max Tow 7650 GVWR 3.73 Elec. Locking Diff.(Prev 2003 Dmax).
Honda EU2000i, Equalizer Hitch
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote